Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 91 Cabriolet Problems Please Help!!!!

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTI, 1991 Cabriolet, and 2012 Jetta TDI
      08-12-2012 03:42 PM #1
      So I am having a little 8v trouble, the car turns on and sometimes automatically. If I can get it to idle I am only able to slowly press on the gas if I go WOT it will bogg down and eventually die. Another weird thing is I can not get it to idle with the MAF hooked up. I checked all vaccum lines and no leak. Could it be a timing issue? I am stuck and need some advice.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTI, 1991 Cabriolet, and 2012 Jetta TDI
      08-12-2012 08:47 PM #2
      Can someone please help

Vehicles
      MKV 08' GTi FSI 6MT, 92' cabby 8v
      08-12-2012 11:12 PM #3
      I would have it smoke tested for a vacuum leak. I know you said you checked it already, but it really seems like you may have missed something. GL!

4. Member
      08-13-2012 04:43 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rods2006gti View Post
      So I am having a little 8v trouble, the car turns on and sometimes automatically. If I can get it to idle I am only able to slowly press on the gas if I go WOT it will bogg down and eventually die. Another weird thing is I can not get it to idle with the MAF hooked up.
      Could you maybe explain in more detail or exactly what you mean by "sometimes automatically". That statement makes it sound like the car just turns itself on, like some horror film or something. The rest sounds like a bad air sensor, MAF (really a AFM). With it unplugged it would be a real bear to start and run (idle), if your lucky, and any sudden opening of the throttle will more or less kill the engine. Reason being the ECU is not adjusting any fuel and the sudden increase of air just lean kills it. In the hopes that you have a repair manual, first do a test of the AFM, it is really simple and will indicate if it is working or not. There should be a "short to chassis" test included, if not attach a multi-meter between any good ground location and any place on the AFM body (not plastic). There should be no continuity at all, if there is you have a dead short somewhere in the AFM or wiring.

5. Member
      08-13-2012 11:45 AM #5
      As WaterWheels indicates, your post is somewhat confusing: the air flow meter is easy to check with a multimeter set to resistance. The instructions can be found in a repair manual. I have also seen issues with the wiring (and connector) for the AFM so you would want to check the wiring from the AFM to the ECU. If you don't have one -- try a local library or search on line for a manual. You could also have a massive air leak. Check the air intake duct carefully -- especially down in the cracks. While you are at it you may want to check or replace the blue ECU Temp sensor on the front engine hose flange. Checking the temp sensor is another multimeter resistance check. FR
      Last edited by Fat Rabbit; 08-13-2012 at 11:49 AM.