Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Warning lights - help please

1. 08-12-2012 02:56 PM #1
      I'm hoping that someone can help me with an issue with my car. I have a Golf 2.0 TDI 16v 2007 model and yesterday when I started the car, the warning lights for the power steering, ABS, TCS, and Engine all lit up orange and then I had the red brake light warning flash up and 3 audible beeps. Other symptoms of the issue is that the speedo does not work at all and when I accelerate to about 2k revs, the low fuel warning light comes on and the fuel gauge needle drops, this happens everytime I accelerate.
      I'm wondering if this issue is related to the speed sensor, I read a few threads about the speedo not working and this affecting the fuel gauge, which sounds similar to the issue I have. But, would the speed sensor effect all the warning lights I mentioned above?
      I had a good look around the engine bay today as well as underneath the car and checked around the transmission and I don't see any speed sensor.
      Does anyone know if these cars have the speed sensor like the older models, is it a gear type sensor that screws into the transmission?

TIA

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-12-2012 03:34 PM #2
      Have you scanned the car for codes?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

3. 08-12-2012 03:46 PM #3
      Unfortunately no, I don't have a vag-com cable or software.

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-12-2012 04:38 PM #4
      Any auto parts store should scan the car for free. That should at least help get you pointed in the right direction. Without codes, it can be hard to say whats going on entirely.

I'd also check your battery. I know sometimes a failing battery can cause weird things to happen.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

5. 08-12-2012 04:49 PM #5
      Thanks Rockerchick, much appreciated. I suspected a battery issue since I have a fuel injected bike that started throwing error codes with an old battery, after replacing the battery I got no more errors on the bike. I checked the battery voltage on my car yesterday using a multimeter and it read 12.05v. I charged the battery for a few hours and tested again and the voltage then read 12.7v but the errors still displayed. The car also starts fine and the battery warning light switches off after the car has started so I thought that the battery might not be the issue. I know it doesn't mean much if the battery has a decent voltage and there could still be an issue with the battery but all 4 warning lights are lit up which is very strange, the chances of all devices failing at the same time is very rare, unless they all rely on something such as a speed sensor. I'll see if I can swap batteries with my sisters car tomorrow as a test and see if I can rule out a battery problem.

6. 08-12-2012 04:58 PM #6
      Just remembered something. If the car reports an error code, or 4 as mine has and I replace the battery and it turns out that my battery was bad, will the error code still be reported or will they clear automatically? I have a suspicion that the codes will remain even if the fault is fixed (say a bad sensor is replaced) but will need to be cleared using a vag-com or similar
      Is my understanding correct?
      Would it help if I unplug the battery for a few minutes, would that clear any old error codes and new ones will be generated?

7. 08-13-2012 02:54 PM #7
      I tried the following today: replaced battery and the errors were still reported. Disconnected battery for 30 mins and reconnected, errors were still reported.
      I'll be getting the errors diagnosed tomorrow or Wednesday.
      The speedo does not work at all, does anyone know if this model car has a speed sensor in the transmission like previous models?
      I can't seem to find anything on the transmission that looks like a speed sensor, is the speed measured from the wheel sensors?

8. 08-14-2012 01:07 PM #8
      I have done a bit of research and read that the ABS pump could be faulty if the EMS/TCS light is illuminated. I had a look at the ABS pump installed on my car and it doesn't appear to be one of the common units that fail, part number: 1K0614117J (not to say that it isn't affected though
      Known part numbers to fail:http://www.ecutesting.com/vw_golf_to...mp_module.html

Strangely, I started the car and the traction control light is no longer lit up, just the power steering, ABS and engine light stay on now. Not sure why the traction control light is off, I haven't done anything!!

Vehicles
      '91 GTI TDI powered, '97 B4GLXTDI, Vitus 979, Schwinn Traveler Fixie
      08-14-2012 09:24 PM #9
      99% sure you have a ground issue. check the ground connections. Get the codes read and cleared.

10. 08-15-2012 08:53 AM #10
      I finally managed to get somewhere with this issue. I scanned the errors using a scanner, the ABS scan resulted in a "no link" error.
      The SRS scan resulted in error code 01316 which is the ABS Control Module
      I'll check the wiring, hopefully it's something minor

11. 08-15-2012 08:55 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by FaithInMkIII2.0 View Post
      99% sure you have a ground issue. check the ground connections. Get the codes read and cleared.
      I'll check the wiring today, will remove the battery to get to the ABS pump. I scanned the codes and got an error of 01316. I also cleared the code, turned off the ignition for about a minute and when I turned the ignition back on the error lights returned along with the 01316 error.

12. 08-15-2012 12:25 PM #12
      I took the battery out the car and had a look at the wiring to the ABS pump, all looks good.

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI
      08-19-2012 07:24 PM #13
      Wierdness=Battery...IMHO

14. 08-20-2012 02:06 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by leroyal View Post
      Wierdness=Battery...IMHO
      I swapped the battery with another one and the problem is still there, all warning lights are still displayed on the dash. Will take the car to the dealer, I'm stumped!

15. 09-07-2012 10:16 AM #15
      Another update for this issue: I tried starting the car yesterday and the car starts, cranks up fine but the engines dies immediately afterwards. This time only two of the original 4 warning lights were lit up. After turning the ignition on and off a few times it seems that the car will eventually start but last night the warning lights were going crazy, flickering on and off (oil light, handbrake, ABS etc..)
      I had the codes read and the following codes were displayed under the SRS menu:

01312 mentions to check the wiring Databus/Canbus
      Where should I check for a wiring fault? I'm not sure which connectors or wiring to check,
      Is there a place where I can get hold of workshop manuals?

16. 09-08-2012 08:30 AM #16
      Even more weirdness, tried starting the car, from cold, both engine fans are on, dashboard going crazy lights flickering on and off, and car will cut out as soon as it starts (sounds like immobiliser related) after a few tries the car will eventually start. Anyone interested in buying 2.0 TDI? Car has been booked in at the dealer for diagnosis but I have to wait until next week

17. 02-09-2013 04:51 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by TDI2016v View Post
      Even more weirdness, tried starting the car, from cold, both engine fans are on, dashboard going crazy lights flickering on and off, and car will cut out as soon as it starts (sounds like immobiliser related) after a few tries the car will eventually start. Anyone interested in buying 2.0 TDI? Car has been booked in at the dealer for diagnosis but I have to wait until next week
      how did you get on with did issue, i have same problems with my 2009 golf, any help would be grateful.

18. 02-18-2013 08:03 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by seatman7469 View Post
      how did you get on with did issue, i have same problems with my 2009 golf, any help would be grateful.

The ABS pump module was faulty. I had it replaced by the dealer which wasn't cheap at all. I considered getting the ABS module tested and possibly repaired, but decided in the end to replace it instead.
      CANBUS caused all the weirdness, if the ABS module is malfunctioning it has an effect on everything else such as speed, immobiliser and more.