Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Tiguan Snow Tires (SEL)

1. 08-12-2012 03:25 PM #1
      Yes, I searched. Not a ton out there.

Looking at snow tires on Tire Rack. Two questions:

1) I'm trying to decide between Blizzak WS-70s and the new Michelin X-Ice3. Anyone have experience with the WS70 or the old X-Ice 2? Thoughts on either?

2) Size wise, I'm thinking either 215/60R17, 235/55R17 or 235/50R18. They're all within a tenth of an inch in diameter, and within 1/2% in circumference. I'm a bit worried as to how it would handle on dry pavement with a 215 width tire...but I see that the S comes with 215s on 16" wheels. Any experience or thoughts?

3) Any other thoughts or recommendations?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 tiguan SE 4motion(had a 2007 GLI)
      08-12-2012 05:57 PM #2
      i have always heard good things bout Blizzak, probably what i will go with next year when i get them.. but Michelin always makes a good tire too..

i remember my snow tires had a different feel on my gli.. but i guess i dont drive to hard on snows either just because if i have snows on there is a lot of salt/sand on the road, or snow/ice so im not worried bout dry cond....

im planning on using my OEM rims on my winter set then getting a new set of rims for the summer tires.... give me a excuse to get new rims... run the same size year round but have a summer/winter set...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      07 MKV GTI on Air, 12 Tiguan 4Mo
      08-13-2012 08:23 AM #3
      My brother has a set of xIce on a santa fe and they don't look like they would be that good in the snow. Their tread pattern almost look of a all season tire. I asked him about them and he wasn't overly impressed with them.

Vehicles
      Jetta TDI Cup Edition, '95 Miata
      08-13-2012 01:45 PM #4
      continental extreme winter contact... relatively cheap and have been great so far.

also, narrower is always better in the snow and stick with 17's for more sidewall and much cheaper.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Tiguan 2009
      08-13-2012 04:29 PM #5
      My next winter tire set will be the Gislaved nordfrost 5 or the Nokian hakkapeliitta 7 both studded.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI
      08-14-2012 06:26 PM #6
      I've run two different gens of the blizzaks and the X-ice 2's. Granted this was on a FWD mkIII jetta, but I had much more confidence in all conditions (snow, ice and wet) with the blizzaks. They are both a bit scary in the dry. I went with the continentals last year on my gti (even though their snow and ice performance is lesser per tire rack) since I now live in an area with less snow. I wanted better wet weather performance, and they delivered.

Between blizzaks and x-ice I would pick the bridgestones. Gen to gen I feel they have a slight edge in snow and ice performance.

Vehicles
      09 Tiguan Highline
      08-15-2012 03:15 AM #7
      Second vote from me for the Continental Extreme Winter Contacts. I ordered them mounted on 16" rims from Tirerack. With shipping and the rims they were still cheaper than mounting 18" tires from the local tire shop. You notice a difference in handling compared to the 18" Scorpions, but thy still have good stopping and dry road handling.

NJP

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      08-15-2012 03:04 PM #8
      I bought a set of Michelin Xice Xi2 with factory Tiguan "S" wheels - 215/65R16 for my Highline (SEL) with 19". The michelins are very highly tested and receive top marks from comparos year over year.

Narrower snow tires are better than wider snow tires if you plan to drive in any snowy or slushy conditions.
      Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

Fun
      Not as fun