Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why no Volvo Wagons anymore (XCs don't count)

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      08-12-2012 10:58 PM #1
      My wife has been waxing poetic about Volvo wagons lately and I mentioned that Volvo doesn't sell a wagon in the US anymore, just 1 crossover (XC60), 1 old ass FWD jacked up piece of garbage that the rest of the world tossed in the bin a year ago (XC70) and a truck (XC90)

Then I showed her what the rest of the world gets:

WHY DON'T WE GET THIS!?

Volvos are synonymous with 'Wagon'... and we've got ****.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      08-12-2012 11:01 PM #2
      American consumers are dumb.
      Also, 40 years of soft, slow big 3 wagons didn't help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      08-12-2012 11:02 PM #3
      Because America

It does make me sad too though

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      08-12-2012 11:03 PM #4
      I am utterly saddened by the choices of wagons these days now that im in my 30's and actually in the market for one. God forbid you want that wagon with a stick.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L, 2004 A6 3.0
      08-12-2012 11:20 PM #5
      We have plenty of wagons in this country, but they are jacked up and called CUVs. Baby boomers (the initial/primary market) can't stomach being like their parents, but they needed the same utility, so that's the result. SUVs were the original stand-in, but between mileage, truck-based driveability, and not needing almost all the abilities, CUVs were the result. Don't worry, my generation hates 99% of these vehicles, so I'd say within 5-10 years there will be actual wagons again, aside from the scarce few out there. It boils down to needing to be different, even though that just ends up exaggerating similarities (sound familiar?)
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 08-12-2012 at 11:23 PM.
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ
      Demokratikally Elekted Undersekretary of Peter Panhood of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      08-12-2012 11:55 PM #6
      blech.
      CUVs are NOT wagons... to me they are the new soccer-mom-mobile

cool people drive wagons.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L, 2004 A6 3.0
      08-13-2012 01:16 AM #7
      4dr? Check. Extended rear cargo area? Check. Der rigor for Moms and suburbanites? Check.

Difference? 1960s vs. 2012. Its the same thing with a different coat of paint and suspension, I hate CUVs as much as you but our kids will want a Juke as much as we want a Vista Cruiser or 240 wagon, just because they are a middle finger to the establishment. Funny how we use the typicals as tools of rebellion later on...
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ
      Demokratikally Elekted Undersekretary of Peter Panhood of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

08-13-2012 01:47 AM #8
      Because Ford wants Volvo to market more to career women and Subaru owns the northeast
      Subaru took a lot of Volvo's core group a while ago
      "It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      08-13-2012 03:51 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Because Ford wants Volvo to market more to career women and Subaru owns the northeast
      Subaru took a lot of Volvo's core group a while ago
      What does Ford have to do with anything?

They sold off PAG a whie ago...
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

10. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      08-13-2012 07:09 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      SUVs were the original stand-in, but between mileage, truck-based driveability, and not needing almost all the abilities, CUVs were the result. Don't worry, my generation hates 99% of these vehicles
      Uh huh.

Vehicles
      03 A4 1.8tqm, 03 24v turd (RIP), 84 GLI, 91 Maxima SE 5M
      08-13-2012 07:17 AM #11
      More expensive than CUV, with less cargo room. And big SUV drivers refused to step down to them when the gas crunch came in. So the CUV was born, and sells 100000x more. Thus, no point in even selling the wagon, sadly.

The only reason the Jetta sportwagen sells so well is because there's no Tiguan TDI in the states.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      08-13-2012 07:40 AM #12
      Don't worry, my generation hates 99% of these vehicles, so I'd say within 5-10 years there will be actual wagons again, aside from the scarce few out there. It boils down to needing to be different, even though that just ends up exaggerating similarities (sound familiar?)
      HA! I'm in my twenties. If we're talking about the same generation, then I beg to differ. People are still snapping up CUVs left and right and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I don't know anyone who dislikes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Uh huh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      1998 Volvo V70 T5M, 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring
      08-13-2012 08:27 AM #13
      It's a really stark contrast between North America & Europe on this. Our dealer only sold about 10-12 P3 V70's, compared to the hundreds of XC70's we've sold. When I was in Gothenburg, XC70's were a rare sight, while V70's were the most common car on the road.
      Volvo Expert/Master Tech

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-13-2012 08:29 AM #14
      If there was ever anyone when Rutledge was needed, it is now.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      08-13-2012 08:49 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      Then I showed her what the rest of the world gets:

WHY DON'T WE GET THIS!?
      I do agree that we should get more old-school Volvo wagons - reasonably priced, cavernous cargo capacity, good for rough road work, ideal for hauling dogs and camping gear and so forth.

However, the above is none of those. It's just another cookie-cutter "sportwagon" that trades utility for styling and a fast roofline. They can keep that ****, because with a roofline that fast and overhang that short, I might as well just buy a friggin' sedan with folding rear seats.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

08-13-2012 09:05 AM #16
      Bring back the Country Squire!
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      08-13-2012 09:08 AM #17
      Also, why are Volvos so swoopy these days? They have only one real wagon left, the V70 (I'm not counting the soon-dying V50).

That said, I think I like the V40, but yeah, it's a hatchback, not a wagon.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

18. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-13-2012 09:20 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      However, the above is none of those. It's just another cookie-cutter "sportwagon" that trades utility for styling and a fast roofline. They can keep that ****, because with a roofline that fast and overhang that short, I might as well just buy a friggin' sedan with folding rear seats.
      Oh come on... It's no 940 but the roofline isn't that fast. The shape of the rear side window exaggerates the sleek-ness of the design.

Looks to have a decent amount of space for a smaller wagon. About on par with the 3-series.

08-13-2012 09:26 AM #19
      Because wagons are silly to most people. If I want extra cargo space then I also want some good ground clearance and AWD to boot. A CUV meets all of these needs and I can see better over the traffic in front of me.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

20. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      08-13-2012 09:30 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      If I want extra cargo space then I also want some good ground clearance and AWD to boot.
      That seems like a combination of requirements that may be desirable to lots of people people but cargo space and ground clearance/AWD certainly can be mutually exclusive.

Personally I like driving a car but the utility offered by a wagon is necessary on a regular basis.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      08-13-2012 09:32 AM #21
      We have plenty of wagons in this country, but they are jacked up and called CUVs. Baby boomers (the initial/primary market) can't stomach being like their parents, but they needed the same utility, so that's the result. SUVs were the original stand-in, but between mileage, truck-based driveability, and not needing almost all the abilities, CUVs were the result. Don't worry, my generation hates 99% of these vehicles, so I'd say within 5-10 years there will be actual wagons again, aside from the scarce few out there. It boils down to needing to be different, even though that just ends up exaggerating similarities (sound familiar?)
      I'm pretty sure it isn't the baby boomers. They bought wagons out the wazoo. The oldest of which are soon going to be 70. Their parents were, for the most part born pre-war (WWII) and most of them are the better part of 90 now. Wagons weren't huge in the 40s either. I'm pretty sure you're annoyed at my generation, GenX. We're in our mid-40s now and, if you believe the hype, to slack to buy anything, wagons or not.

I just sold my wagon because it was cramping my style. I'm partial to blue flannel and the Subaru was red. The fact that it wouldn't make it down the dirt street we live on now is besides the point.
      Last edited by CBJ; 08-13-2012 at 09:35 AM.

08-13-2012 09:38 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Because wagons are silly to most people. If I want extra cargo space then I also want some good ground clearance and AWD to boot. A CUV meets all of these needs and I can see better over the traffic in front of me.
      Yeap for most families a SUV makes more sense, no matter what some wagon elitists will say. And these days, you give up much less driving them than in the past.

08-13-2012 09:44 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      That seems like a combination of requirements that may be desirable to lots of people people but cargo space and ground clearance/AWD certainly can be mutually exclusive.

Personally I like driving a car but the utility offered by a wagon is necessary on a regular basis.
      Then buy a hatchback. I suspect my GTI has more room inside than some swoopy designed compact wagons.

We have plenty of wagons and I suspect Volvo doesn't bring any here because Volvo isn't interested in a niche markets right now with questionable growth potential.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      08-13-2012 09:45 AM #24
      V60. Love it. Would give it serious thought as my next purchase when I upgrade in a few years. But it's not available in the U.S.

But "America" pretty much sums it up. They don't like wagons because they are not high enough to give you that commanding view of the road

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      08-13-2012 09:46 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I do agree that we should get more old-school Volvo wagons - reasonably priced, cavernous cargo capacity, good for rough road work, ideal for hauling dogs and camping gear and so forth.

Hate to tell you this but wagons, hatch backs, and SUVs all have severely sloping rear profile removing utility.
      Looking for a car event on the East Coast? Check here

I have an idea, we will try it my way first...and then we will finish.

MCFC

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast