Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Who has a properly trained dog here?

1. 08-13-2012 01:30 AM #1
      and by properly, we are talking won't release unless the release command is given, etc.

I was at my cousins house over the weekend. Her and her GF have 2 border collies and a mutt, dear god these dogs are amazing.

other than the fact that the one border collie has about a 5' vertical and athleticism beyond belief, they are ALL amazingly well trained.

you can have a toy in your hand, tell them 'sit' 'settle' or 'stay' and they won't release until you say 'okay' even if you toss the frisbee.

They also will 'bring it to me' and bring the toy to you.

'thank you' makes them release the toy.

It's so freaking amazing. I realllly want a dog but know i can't take the proper time with it. At least I know that when i do get a dog, ill have my cousin train it

both in those photos are rescues, all of her dogs have been.

the black one is the more athletic one but also younger.

also the black one, at 4 months old supposedly not only moved a herd of sheep, but moved them in two directions.

its INSANE watching that dog jump 5' high to catch a frisbee (never misses)

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      08-14-2012 11:01 AM #2
      Training a dog isn't hard it just takes time and that is where people fail the most. Also, subscribing to incorrect theories also is where people make a mistake. Mainly pack theory and dominance theory (alpha).

I have been professionally training dogs for close to 10 years now. I would be considered a "cross over trainer" since I originally subscribed to the dominance and pack theories. As soon as I found positive reinforcement training things clicked (no pun) for me. I started clicker training and saw such an improvement in my dogs behavior.

Once you or anyone understands how dogs learn, training is easy. There are a lot of old theories and methods that are wrong and still used today which is the problem. Don't get me wrong, punishment/scolding works, but positive reinforcement works better.

Lastly any dog can be trained but some breeds take to training better. "Working" (Austrailian Shepherds, cattle dogs, border collies, etc) dogs tend to pick up on things very quickly. But if these dogs don't have something to do like training, herding, flyball, agility they can be real trouble makers.

Why you and your dog are not a pack.

The scientist who coined the term "alpha" several decades ago discusses why recent studies show they are inaccurate terms for describing wolf behavior--much less dog behavior!

Dumbed down by dominance

Happy training!

3. 08-17-2012 05:52 PM #3
      ^^^Pretty much covers it.

Time, patience and understanding

08-31-2012 07:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CO Boy View Post
      Training a dog isn't hard it just takes time and that is where people fail the most. Also, subscribing to incorrect theories also is where people make a mistake. Mainly pack theory and dominance theory (alpha).

I have been professionally training dogs for close to 10 years now. I would be considered a "cross over trainer" since I originally subscribed to the dominance and pack theories. As soon as I found positive reinforcement training things clicked (no pun) for me. I started clicker training and saw such an improvement in my dogs behavior.

Once you or anyone understands how dogs learn, training is easy. There are a lot of old theories and methods that are wrong and still used today which is the problem. Don't get me wrong, punishment/scolding works, but positive reinforcement works better.

Lastly any dog can be trained but some breeds take to training better. "Working" (Austrailian Shepherds, cattle dogs, border collies, etc) dogs tend to pick up on things very quickly. But if these dogs don't have something to do like training, herding, flyball, agility they can be real trouble makers.

Why you and your dog are not a pack.

The scientist who coined the term "alpha" several decades ago discusses why recent studies show they are inaccurate terms for describing wolf behavior--much less dog behavior!

Dumbed down by dominance

Happy training!

Only issue I have with those references is that they seem to contradict each other.
      One points at that dogs are pack animals, and the other make the case that they are not...

With that said, my dog knows I'm the one in charge, and we don't have any issues.
      Last edited by eurotekms; 08-31-2012 at 10:05 PM.
      x

5. 08-31-2012 08:06 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      Only issue I have with those references is that they seem to contradict each other.
      One points at that dogs are pack animals, and the other make the case that they are....

With that said, my dog knows I'm the one in charge, and we don't have any issues.
      I've been informed that the best training is the training of the owner.

08-31-2012 10:09 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      I've been informed that the best training is the training of the owner.

I can read that a few different ways.

I'll add this though. Im fortunate enough to spend a considerable amount of time with my dog.
      We have a pretty damn good understanding of each other. I think thats thr most important factor.

Oh, and not forgetting that he's an animal and doesnt speak English.
      x