VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aonarch's Carpool Lane Hero!

38K views 355 replies 44 participants last post by  Aonarch 
#1 · (Edited)

^ As of 05Oct2012.

Picked up 13Aug2012 from Gunther VW.

Does this come standard, if so that is awesome!

I traded my MKVI GTI for the 2012 Beetle, which turned out to be a Dung Beetle (Harr dee harr harr), but thankfully VWoA bought it back and I ordered a 2012 JSW TDI CW with Pano and Nav... I was rather disappointed when a base TDI showed up instead of one with Pano and Nav, but I was told the wait would be 3 more months at the earliest and I would have to drive the Beetle until it came in, so I said no this one is fine and drove it home.

Plans?

Ehh not sure, I have modded my fair share of cars, but for this one I want to it to be all about me. Feel free to input your opinion, but I will probably ignore it. :p

I originally wanted to just go with a set of matched springs and shocks instead of coils, but now after helping install air ride in a friend's MKVI GTI I am kind of interested in it. However, I want a trouble free setup, and air ride is not trouble free.

^ Before the Beetle.

So Far:

• Koni Coil-Overs
  • O.Z. Racing Ultraleggras 17x8
  • Sumitomo HTR Z III 225/45/17
  • Color-matched Side Markers (Ordered)
  • Bi-Xenons
  • H&R RSB
  • K&N Drop-in
  • Muffler Delete w/ Corsa tip (Ordered)
  • Yakima Rack
  • 35% Llumar Tint
  • De-Badged
  • APR Tune (Appointment scheduled)
  • Gold Brake Calipers
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Plate Frame
  • ETX18L Deka AGM Battery w/ Odyssey Gold SAE Terminals

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks! The Golf will be sold or traded in for a MKVII, not the JSW. I plan on keeping the JSW.

Congrats! I ordered mine without pano and nav, on purpose :p Mine looked just like yours when I got it :D Do what you feel, as for me I already knew what had to be done long before I ever got the car... it's still a work in progress but I do love it. As for the MKVII comment, IMO this new platform needs to bake a couple of years before I get one, I've been a guinea pig too many times :screwy:
I will get a 2015 GTI, or which ever is the 2nd MY for the MKVII in the US.

needs air, xenons and you should keep this car longer than 6 months
Agreed. I am actually keeping this. I absolutely love, love it!

This is the best VW I have owned IMO.

#3 ·
Congrats! I ordered mine without pano and nav, on purpose :p Mine looked just like yours when I got it :D Do what you feel, as for me I already knew what had to be done long before I ever got the car... it's still a work in progress but I do love it. As for the MKVII comment, IMO this new platform needs to bake a couple of years before I get one, I've been a guinea pig too many times :screwy:

#6 ·
How much did you pay OTD? Tell us more what you think about this car in the future. I have MKV Jetta TDI 2010 DSG at this moment and thinking about trading her for JSW with manual.

#8 ·
I got this from a settlement in a civil suit against VWoA. So no price on it.

I'll update this thread with thoughts, but so far I absolutely love it. I just blasted it through the mountains and kept smiling the whole time. TORQUE!!! WAGON!!! Great balance and steering. Handling is actually really good for a stock FWD wagon, but I am going to add a rear sway bar, lighter wheels/ summer tires, and a cup kit.

#9 ·
I give you 5 months and you probably gonna trade in your JSW for Tiguan or Touareg. :D

#14 ·
^ :laugh:

Kids, don't follow my example.

^ Almost there!!! Need to bust out the hair dryer to finish it.

^ People are on the fence with this stuff, and I know VW says no. I've used it in CR TDI's with good results.

Cheapest mod out there... Removed the hood sound dampening (No it is not for heat, it is for sound), and the engine cover (Again, not for heat).

There are four Jetta TDI's in my work parking lot. So figure out of 20 cars four of them are Jetta Diesels, and one is a New Beetle Diesel. :thumbup:

#16 · (Edited)
Soon. Not sure what I want for suspension yet. I was thinking of just maxing out the handling to compensate for the wagon's size.

I just removed the "snow screen" on the stock air box.... I understand why, but in the great state of Georgia it isn't needed. Plus the stock air box is temporary anyways.

Official Plans:

• Wheels
  • Coils
  • Ed's Xenon Housings
  • Fog Lights?
  • Euro Switch
  • SSK
  • Color-matched Sidemarkers
  • Rear Sway Bar
  • Stage I Tune APR/ Revo
  • Turbo Pipe Shave (TDI Club Guys will know this one)
  • Chrome Mirror Caps
  • Blind Spot Mirrors
  • Carbonio Intake
  • GTI Brake Upgrade
  • Brake Pads

/csb

#18 ·
Ahh thanks for the heads up. I looked up technical specs and it listed the 2.5L brakes under the TDI section. I kept looking at them and was like...? The look like the 312's? But my wheels are smaller, so maybe it is an illusion. :laugh:

Intake and turbo shave is for turbo noise. I want my TDI much louder. What do VW engineers know better than me? ;)

#23 ·
After my bad experience with Unitronic, I'm scared to death withh adding more power to my car.:sly:

#28 ·
#35 · (Edited)
Put in a K&N drop in filter. Ignore that part number. Typically I have run intakes, but for now I just wanted to keep it simple with a drop-in, plus I only open my hood for preventative maintenance, not for show.

Tomorrow I plan on shaving the baffles in the "turbo muffler" aka one of the pipes going to the turbo, I cannot remember which one it is, intake? But I know where and how to do it.

#36 · (Edited)

^ While prepping my SW for its first detail I noticed this... a frame bracket. Awesome!

^ My DIY foam gun in action.

^ Clean.

^ Finally finished de-badging. For some reason that was the toughest one I have ever done. Took a hair dryer, finger nails, credit card, and a ton of Goo Gone to get off.

^ On the drive to pick up my reward (Beer) this gem came on.

^ Part number for the K&N filter. BTW big noticeable difference with this motor. I live in the mountains and I have awkward hill climbs at low speeds 2nd gear under the power band, and before it would lug, now no problem.

^ My friendly assistant.

#38 ·
Haha Rick Roll! You have to be careful with the rear plate... the screws they give to affix the plate to the bracket are TOO LONG :mad: (ask me how I know) and can damage the paint underneath - potentially making a hole in the sheet metal. Removing the Jetta was one of the first things I did as well.
That must have been your dealer, or maybe they supplied those earlier on. Mine are really short.

Thanks for the heads up.

#41 ·
It isn't that bad, but I have done it a lot of times. I like to keep the paint fresh, including OEM colors (e.x. GTI).

Still trying to pick out wheels...

My #1 pick:

They are on close out at Tire Rack in silver, but I would plasti-dip them black, maybe with a gold flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.