Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help Needed: 93 Eurovan GL Issues

1. 08-13-2012 06:36 PM #1
      Have a 1993 VW Eurovan with the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder. Only 79,xxx original miles, all stock with nothing adulterated. Had some A/C issued which I finally fixed and it blows super cold all three rows (even on the 100+ degree days!). I will post about my victory in another thread.

Now the nitty gritty: I changed all the fluids and ran Rislone in the Oil and Techron in the fuel to clean everything up. It has sat for over 3 years before I bought it and it has developed several problems in the last 8 weeks. The engine will infrequently blow out blue and or black smoke and sometimes stinks of raw fuel or just poorly burned fuel. I assume the valve stem seals could cause the smoke belch when it gets loaded up idling at a long stop light, otherwise the engine runs great and strong and has started everytime, no problems since the new battery!

Exhaust rattle. Infrequent and only at a certain idle. Have been advised its the Cat. I did rebend a couple heat shields with no change so the cat seems viable unless someone has another suggestion.

Slight rattle with engine speed increase. Most likely an idler pulley. Worse case scenario, mal adjusted lifters. Not even certain if these engines have the solid or hydraulic lifters. Any insight on top end tapping and lifter set-up?

Here's the big headache: Had a blown boot on the outside passenger axle. Replaced the whole half shaft with no resolve to the following problem:
      Intermittent knocking while cruising. AND, only in right turns there is a god awful grinding, humming and slight pulling sound/feeling. Could make left turns at 35+ mph all day with just a little 'whir' from the tires, but 15 mph in a right turn is catastrophic sounding. Have been told its bearings and could involve some hub chewing. Bearings seem unrealistic for how it sounds and feels though, and that suggestion came from the guy who said the axle was causing all the problems!

Any insight that can be offered on these bizarre circumstances is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. 08-14-2012 02:20 AM #2
      Hmmm not sure on a lot of these (haven't had these issues myself) but as to your question about the valve lifters, they are for sure hydraulic.

3. 08-14-2012 03:43 PM #3
      Being Hydraulic lifters I assume it is very rare for them to fail or act up and make noise? It really seems like a pulley tapping/rattling as opposed to an engine noise. Someone else suggested the EVAP valve was making that noise, but at $430 for a replacement one I could go the rest of my life hearing that and not care. Ever heard of EVAP valves failing or can they be cleaned/rebuilt? Thanks for the info.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      1993 Volksvagen Eurovan GL Rauchblau
      08-15-2012 12:08 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mag_wagon View Post
      Could make left turns at 35+ mph all day with just a little 'whir' from the tires, but 15 mph in a right turn is catastrophic sounding. Have been told its bearings and could involve some hub chewing. Bearings seem unrealistic for how it sounds and feels though, and that suggestion came from the guy who said the axle was causing all the problems!

Any insight that can be offered on these bizarre circumstances is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
      I have been told on mine that it might be the CV joints... does it happen while you have it in gear? It stops when I have mine in neutral going into a curve...

5. 08-16-2012 12:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by yumeemiru View Post
      I have been told on mine that it might be the CV joints... does it happen while you have it in gear? It stops when I have mine in neutral going into a curve...
      Great question! Honestly never thought to try that. Did it several times on my travels today. The noise and vibration lessens which tells me there are multiple parts failing. In neutral is more just a hum. In drive, it is varying levels of vibration and grinding with very noticeable, very undesirable feedback in the steering wheel!

Was told bearings, but I am almost thinking the driver side axle, or even worse, something within the transmission or final drive unit.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      1993 Volksvagen Eurovan GL Rauchblau
      09-17-2012 11:43 PM #6
      check out what it looks like under your cv boots behind the front wheels if there is a ton of grease leaking like i found out yesterday its on mine, you might have luck finding out what the noise is.

Quote Originally Posted by mag_wagon View Post
      Great question! Honestly never thought to try that. Did it several times on my travels today. The noise and vibration lessens which tells me there are multiple parts failing. In neutral is more just a hum. In drive, it is varying levels of vibration and grinding with very noticeable, very undesirable feedback in the steering wheel!

Was told bearings, but I am almost thinking the driver side axle, or even worse, something within the transmission or final drive unit.