Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.9l AAZ, stopping from hiway speeds, engine dies

1. 08-13-2012 10:23 PM #1
      I just put in a new 1.9l AAZ NA engine into my caddy. Came w/ 1.9l injectors and 1.9l IP. The IP was timed to .91mm. Engine idles well, and around town, is just about perfect.

However, when coming off the freeway, going from say 65 to 0 (stop), the engine will die. It starts right back up and idles fine. It seems the engine is starved of fuel in this scenario. Tried to bump my idle a bit more, but does the same thing. It's like there's a fuel cutoff from high rpm to idle, but doesn't resume fuel to keep the engine idling. But then, when restarted, acts like nothing happened. What gives?

Any help appreciated.

Vehicles
      6.9L F250
      08-14-2012 11:05 PM #2
      Does it make a difference if the cold start is pulled out or not?

Have you double checked the timing to make sure the crank gear isn't slipping?

It could be an issue with the pump. Do you know it's history?

Is the stop solenoid loosing power? You could hook a test light up in the cabin to verify this.

You could try turning the residual fuel screw in (the one that the throttle arm rests on at idle) and see if that helps.

Does it stall if you rev it up in the driveway and let the RPMs drop?

Do you have air bubbles in the fuel lines?

3. 08-17-2012 12:36 AM #3
      I have a newer 1.9l pump w/ an electric solenoid, instead of the cable for cold start. Don't have it hooked up though.

Triple checked the timing.

Pump is new.

I'll check the stop solenoid.

I'll play w/ the residual fuel screw.

Doesn't stall when playing w/ it in idle.

Funny thing. The weather has been hot. Now, not so much. It doesn't stall out as much. Dunno if bubbles in the lines are getting worked out or if it's just my imagination.

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
      Does it make a difference if the cold start is pulled out or not?

Have you double checked the timing to make sure the crank gear isn't slipping?

It could be an issue with the pump. Do you know it's history?

Is the stop solenoid loosing power? You could hook a test light up in the cabin to verify this.

You could try turning the residual fuel screw in (the one that the throttle arm rests on at idle) and see if that helps.

Does it stall if you rev it up in the driveway and let the RPMs drop?

Do you have air bubbles in the fuel lines?