Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: filling license plate holes

Vehicles
      2004.5 PG GLI
      08-14-2012 02:40 AM #1
      I've been searching on the internet for the past week or so and i haven't been able to find a concrete answer to what is the best way to fill the big holes that the dealership drills in the mk4 bumpers for the license plate mount. I'm repainting my bumper and pulling a european rub strip on and i wanted to fill the holes the correct way and was hoping someone on here could help or post a DIY.

cheers,
      Kyle
      Originally Posted by d.tek
      When you get bored, play with yourself or watch a movie, don't ziptie a europlate to your car.

2. 08-14-2012 11:31 AM #2
      If you post a picture of it, I could give you some advice. I just want to see what you're dealing with/how big the holes are.

I thought Texas required front plates?
      John Marsteller
      Mishimoto Automotive

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      08-14-2012 12:38 PM #3
      I live in Alabama, which doesn't require a front licence plate, so I took off the dealer's tag and plate mount from the front bumper, leaving me with those lovely holes. What's the circumference on those, about 3/4"? Anyway, what I plan on doing is finding some of those plastic end caps that fit inside pipe, desks, etc. and painting them to match the body. That way, if I ever need to, I can remove them to put on a front plate.

EDIT: These are kind of what I'm talking about.

If you're wanting to permanently fill those holes, I'd say fiberglass on the backside of the bumper, fill the hole with fiberglass resin, sand it smooth and level, repaint the bumper.
      Last edited by tjjoiner; 08-14-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added link. Later added image.
      .: trevor | I love my wife! | His: 2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t Hers: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT