Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.1liter g60?

1. 08-14-2012 03:14 AM #1
      Please don't think me an idiot, have not been around for awhile, have owned 40 plus water cooled and a few airs, I just got a corrado g60 with 78K original miles, am not looking to overmodify, just want a little bit suprise under the hood(am too old for race/ego stuff), just for personal satisfaction(i will go blind eventually anyways, lol). I was wondering if maybe taking a aba block, doing the whole bore thing, and putting a ported head to it, would be worth my time and effort. I want a suttle modification, trying to be as factory looking as possible, what would be the outcome? I am sure it has been done many times, but I have to work and don't have time to read thread after thread, just would like some mature input on the subject. Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
      K

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      08-14-2012 03:12 PM #2
      Seems like a lot of work for a subtle bump in power. With a car that has that low of miles I would just do the standard G60 upgrades. Pulley, chip, cam, IC tubes, and filter. Before I do that though I would have the charger rebuilt and while that's being done have it ported and get an RSR outlet.

Is there a reason you want to swap in a whole new motor? Is the charger in good shape? Will you use the charger on the 2.1L if you go that way?

3. 08-17-2012 01:33 AM #3
      I was thinking that maybe that was the way to go, I am up for all options, I think maybe your suggestions are on point and that might be the way to go. The charger on my car is in absolute flawless condition, The reason I was thinking of building a motor, is not necessarily for right now, I have an extra low mile head complete, and extra charger I was planning on rebuilding, and some miscellaneous parts. I figured since I have all the extra parts, I would port and polish the head, put all the goodies into it, and then try and figure out what bottom end to mate up to it. I really want to leave my car as factory as possible withuot over modifying due to the mileage. I was looking at the 16valve swap, but that sounds like a very expensive and high maintanence way to go.
      Thanks
      K

Vehicles
      90 stg 5 g60, 90 stg 1-2 g60, 93 vr6 slc, 97 tdi, 99 jetta gl, my fav..93 Wolfsburg fox 4 door
      08-18-2012 11:08 AM #4
      I've done a 2.1 aba g60 stage 5 charger, TT hi flow over sized valve kit, port an polished head, balanced crank shaft, port n polished intake mani, tb, 16v butterfly's, 42# injectors, low compression head gasket the list goes on and one I've done every mod, that is available, it's my race car and and it's worth every mod you throw at it. No Dyno # yet, but I had a bad rod bearing and couldn't re hone the block so I had an obd1 2.0 that couldn't be honed either so it got bored to a 2.1, I love it

5. 08-20-2012 01:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim.vw. View Post
      I've done a 2.1 aba g60 stage 5 charger, TT hi flow over sized valve kit, port an polished head, balanced crank shaft, port n polished intake mani, tb, 16v butterfly's, 42# injectors, low compression head gasket the list goes on and one I've done every mod, that is available, it's my race car and and it's worth every mod you throw at it. No Dyno # yet, but I had a bad rod bearing and couldn't re hone the block so I had an obd1 2.0 that couldn't be honed either so it got bored to a 2.1, I love it
      so what kind of power does it produce, is it worth the extra power vs. the 1.9l mod? I want to either put it in my car or get another to use for my daily driver. Will it be too much maintanance to use for a daily? Just some of my concerns.
      thanks
      K

Vehicles
      90 stg 5 g60, 90 stg 1-2 g60, 93 vr6 slc, 97 tdi, 99 jetta gl, my fav..93 Wolfsburg fox 4 door
      08-20-2012 10:29 PM #6
      I went a little wild and replaced everything from nuts and bolts to bearings and alternators everything on my 2.1 is brand new for reliability figured if it's out and apart, my stockg60 has a good power band from 2200-4000 the aba gives more kick at 1-3000, and I can do side by side comparisons because I have 3 corrados, I think it's worth it, but a lot of people just do the whole drop in thing and if it blows it blows if it goes it goes, but no reliability or peace of mind. The obd1 aba is reliable just as the pg is. I have yet to Dyno my stg 5 I was hoping for under 300, but it's a very noticeable increase in throttle response, but you may not go the same route I went. I would say do it, it's a fun build, and 1.8 vs 2.0 is an obvious choice from a stock swap to built swaps it's gonna produce more power either way.

7. 08-21-2012 02:44 PM #7
      wonderful, that was exactly the input I needed. I probably won't go extremely drastic with it, rebuilt charger, upgraded pully, port and polish head(w/ cam, springs, valves, the goodies), the bottom I wanted 2.1 block with everything new. I want a factory look, I don't want to open the hood and aftermarket everything, like a asian supermarket, lol. I will definately hit the ground running on this and will hit you up if I have an brain picking questions, thanks
      K

8. Member
      Vehicles
      92 verde rado gernade(dd),90Q 20v, red rado 24v build
      08-21-2012 07:46 PM #8
      I didn't build 2.1 block. But I did use OBD-1 ABA block with 9:1 compression. The taller block made different how that charger works, you get more air into chamber due to longer rods ratios. Your boost level goes down, but the power it makes definely worth it. I didn't go overboard. I ported the charger and 30# injectors on stock pulley. It pulls better than stage-4 PG engine. Fueling is most important thing due to it's larger displacement and higher compression. ABA setup with smaller pulley is torquey motor. Just get right chip for it to get best performance. With added power, get better gearings, like vr6 or 1.8T gearings, more suited for torquey motors.

Vehicles
      09-03-2012 02:56 PM #9
      I've only heard the best from sns users, I will prob go with them I'm going to see if I can get 2 chips burn, I don't know if tt, or bbm, could suit my needs. But I also don't really know anyone who runs those chips, with off the path setups, chime in if anyone knows something more than me. I'm just getting to all the chip stuff with my build. Then to a track I go