Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded my Honda Shadow for this...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      08-14-2012 08:40 AM #1
      Got bored with my cruiser, and I've been dying to build a cafe bike for a while. While this isn't exactly a good candidate, I did get offered this bike as a straight-up trade for my Shadow.

It is big, it is heavy, it has plenty of power. Still learning about the bike, but the plan for now is to ride it until the winter and then tear it down and make some cafe-inspired changes to the bike.

It does have the 2nd gear issue, though I can avoid having it pop out of gear if I baby it through second and use third to accelerate as necessary.

Even with the many issues the bike has, I feel like it was a good trade-up for me and I am stoked to have another project in the garage.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-14-2012 08:55 AM #2
      Nice. Is that a 1000cc? I'm on a phone screen, can't read the badging.

I have an 83 CB650 Nighthawk that is my own current project, grafting a monoshock rest end and disc brake from a Sabre onto it, along with some other things. Looks good!
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

08-14-2012 09:15 AM #3
      Not a good candidate? It's damn good as is.

If anything, I'd just change out the gauges for a more traditional round setup, same with the mirrors and a larger round headlight. About the most extreme thing I might consider would be to loose the chrome rear fender / taillight...maybe. Ohh..and loose the cheezy foam handgrips.

The seat and tail section are great already though. I'd stop there. I like more UJM than all out cafe, as I like to actually ride instead of pose. IE, don't go nuts with clubman bars or rearsets. The Supertrap is cool already also.

Enjoy.
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08-14-2012 09:37 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Nice. Is that a 1000cc? I'm on a phone screen, can't read the badging.
      1100. Crappy iPhone pics on my end don't help.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post

If anything, I'd just change out the gauges for a more traditional round setup, same with the mirrors and a larger round headlight
      I'm pretty happy with the bike, just needs some bits here and there.

The cruiser version has round lights, gauges, turn signals. They are all compatible (a little bit of wiring to make the gas gauge work), so I'll be scouring eBay for cheap ones.

About the most extreme thing I might consider would be to loose the chrome rear fender / taillight...maybe. Ohh..and loose the cheezy foam handgrips
      Yup. The rear section of the bike looks like it will look great by simply unbolting and removing the rear fender, the frame is perfect already.

And yes, I hate the grips.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-14-2012 09:42 AM #5
      Immediate plans:
      -New rear tire
      -flush brake systems
      -align front forks
      -fix horn so I can get it inspected/registered
      -clean air filters
      -bar end mirrors

Long-term plans:
      -rear sets
      -remove/fix/replace second gear, whichever is most appropriate when I get inside the trans
      -pull/clean carbs
      -clean up tail section
      -handgrips
      -install progressive springs so I can ditch the pressurized front forks (previous owner had 90psi in them)
      -probably change up the handlebars, jury is still out on that one
      -probably wrap the exhaust

I enjoy riding it, but it is so, so different from my 490cc cruiser I just got rid of. It will turn in and lean over, but it is a chore. Having more than ample power in any gear is great, though.

Vehicles
      Stingray
      08-14-2012 10:03 AM #6

If anything, I'd just change out the gauges for a more traditional round setup, same with the mirrors and a larger round headlight. About the most extreme thing I might consider would be to loose the chrome rear fender / taillight...maybe. Ohh..and loose the cheezy foam handgrips.

The seat and tail section are great already though. I'd stop there. I like more UJM than all out cafe, as I like to actually ride instead of pose. IE, don't go nuts with clubman bars or rearsets. The Supertrap is cool already also.

Enjoy.
      I'd carve the foam flat, and I'd get the seat recovered.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      08-14-2012 03:23 PM #7
      Thats a big heavy bitch, but the motor is a gem. I've had the two little brothers to that bike, an xs750 and 850.

To cafe it, I'd ditch the whole seat/fender/tail light completely and go with a fiberglass seat/aftermarket setup. New gauges to get a more low profile look. Clubman bars, you'd be surprised what clip ons/clubmans can do to how the bike feels and handles. Smaller led blinkers, new rubber, paint that front fender and maybe trim it down a bit. Bar end mirrors. Take off the passenger pegs/supports and make a bracket for your exhaust, though you'll probably cover that with rear sets.

I'd completely rebuild second gear, seemed like all the big yamahas of this time period had 2nd gear issues if you beat on them. And any suspension upgrade will make it better, be it swapping to a different set of forks or rebuilding the guts, don't forget the rear either.

Otherwise it should run great for thousands of miles. Stay on top of your electronics, carbs, and I'd change all the fluids out (engine oil, middle tranny oil, and final drive).

edit: When I cafed my bikes I also removed everything that wasn't necessary. The box of random parts adds up.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 05:12 PM #8
      Ditto bolded. I also like the black exhaust headers. Planning to do that to the Nighthawk, which is also being done semi-Cafe/UJM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoRacers View Post
      1100. Crappy iPhone pics on my end don't help.
      Gotcha.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-14-2012 09:17 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Knock Sensor View Post
      Thats a big heavy bitch, but the motor is a gem. I've had the two little brothers to that bike, an xs750 and 850.
      No joke. Thing weighs a ton. Just turning it around in the garage is a pain. The engine is a blast, though. Torque anywhere, great noise, very responsive and quick to rev up. I can't wait to see how it rides after a carb cleaning.

I'd completely rebuild second gear, seemed like all the big yamahas of this time period had 2nd gear issues if you beat on them. And any suspension upgrade will make it better, be it swapping to a different set of forks or rebuilding the guts, don't forget the rear either.
      I've found plenty of info on the 2nd gear issue and fix methods, so I feel more than ready to deal with that this winter.

I'll probably go with the progressive springs for the forks. Already has a fork brace installed.

Otherwise it should run great for thousands of miles. Stay on top of your electronics, carbs, and I'd change all the fluids out (engine oil, middle tranny oil, and final drive).
      From the looks of some of the wiring looms, this bike will have electrical gremlins at some point.

Tires ordered and being installed Thursday
      Grips and bar end mirrors ordered, installed this weekend hopefully

Need to figure out what to do about the stripped screw on the brake fluid reservoir cap. It turns, but doesn't back out any. I may just find a used MC on eBay and replace it, rather than risk downtime because I botched a drill/remove/tap job in the plastic MC reservoir. Front brake works okay, just have to really squeeze hard.

Loving the bike, though.

08-14-2012 09:35 PM #10
      Epoxy a cheap screwdriver, nail, piece of metal, whatever... to the screw and pull up on it as you unscrew it.

Same concept is sticking a flat blade under the head of a stripped bolt to help it out but this way you won't tear up your mc cover.

- Josh
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 07:46 AM #11
      Carbs are coming off sooner than I hoped.Probably this weekend.

Lost a cylinder for the entire freeway portion of my commute. Afterward, bike acted normal from the exit ramp to work, though. It doesn't like constant cruising at low rpms (3000-3500); feels like one cylinder stops getting fuel. Usually I can downshift to jump the rpms and get it back, but today it wouldn't.

Thankfully, it does 60mph very easily on 3 of 4 cylinders.

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      08-15-2012 10:51 AM #12
      If you have one of those sonic wave tool cleaners, those work great for cleaning carbs. Double check all the rubber cv pieces and make sure the floats aren't pinhole leaking.

Can't wait to see any updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-15-2012 05:19 PM #13
      Yeah, carb tear-down, cleaning, and syncing this weekend. Guaranteed shutdown of one of the cylinders any time I ask it for a constant 3-4000 rpm means that freeway riding sucks.

Maybe I'll snap some pics during the process. Also plan on installing grips&mirrors, if they show up in time.

I guess this is my build thread now?

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 05:47 PM #14
      I guess this is my build thread now?
      I'm in. No more iPhone pics though.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 08:24 PM #15
      Rotated the bars about 10 degrees back for more comfort with the middle foot controls.

Horn is toast, need to rig up a new one to pass inspection soon. Carb sync gauge acquired from coworker, happening this weekend.
      Last edited by GoRacers; 08-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.

08-16-2012 09:01 PM #16
      How much does it weigh?

If you decide to yank the seat and rear section, I'll take em.
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

17. 08-17-2012 07:20 AM #17
      Rotated the bars about 10 back for more comfort with the middle foot controls.

Horn is toast, need to rig up a new one to pass inspection soon. Carb sync gauge acquired from coworker, happening this weekend.
      One thing you might consider is registering it as an antique or classic. I don't know the regulations of running one in Kentucky on those tags but I use them and never get hassled. Not that you shouldn't fix the horn, you should but at least here you don't have to mess with the inspection part on a bike registered this way.

Very cool bike at that.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08-17-2012 07:48 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      One thing you might consider is registering it as an antique or classic. I don't know the regulations of running one in Kentucky on those tags but I use them and never get hassled. Not that you shouldn't fix the horn, you should but at least here you don't have to mess with the inspection part on a bike registered this way.

Very cool bike at that.
      It may be worth looking into. I know for a car/truck, I could never get away with doing the classic registration due to the mileage restrictions.

Either way, I use my horn very liberally with the idiots on the road here, so it gets fixed regardless.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08-17-2012 07:52 AM #19
      How much does it weigh?
      630 lbs curb weight. It is definitely heavy, but you get somewhat used to it and just learn to use a lot more force when turning in, etc.

If you decide to yank the seat and rear section, I'll take em.
      I don't have too radical of plans for the rear, probably just remove the fender and tuck the brake/indicator lights up underneath the current tail section somehow. The g/f has also started asking about riding with me a lot more often now, so the seat may stay, as well.

But if I do remove it, you got first dibs.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      08-17-2012 10:46 PM #20
      Girl's night out means I got to start the carb teardown early....

Got the front brakes flushed. Much firmer lever now. Can finally get the front suspension to dive, just riding across the garage.

New horn installed and wired. Completely overboard on the wiring, but it looks OEM so I am happy with it.

On to the big ticket items...

First off, let's start with this:

To all of you people out there that overtighten EVERYTHING: stop doing that. I spent 45 minutes drilling out a stripped out bolt from the previous owner. The reservoir still needs to be replaced, because the bolt stripped out inside the PLASTIC housing.

Torque specs. Look them up. Stop tightening everything you touch to "tight as I can get it."

Rant over.

Lots of parts in a 4-cylinder engine's carb setup...

Found a hole in cylinder 3's diaphragm, and worn spots on every diaphragm...

And again, STOP TIGHTENING EVERYTHING AS HARD AS YOU CAN.

All in all, carbs look decent. All jets all look clean and clear. Torn diaphragms and lots of rust/buildup are the only problems I found tearing down the carbs. 1100xs is a convenient bike to sync, it looks like it can be sync'd and tuned with the tank unbolted and moved 3 inches toward the handlebars.

More tomorrow.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 12:30 AM #21
      Would these diaphragms work for you? Says they're new, they're probably JBM repops.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08-18-2012 08:07 AM #22
      Would these diaphragms work for you? Says they're new, they're probably JBM repops.
      I saw those on eBay, but the model years listed in the ad had me worried. The 78/79 bikes used different carbs than the 80+ bikes, so I don't think the parts are interchangeable.

I came to post about the JBM diaphragms. Looks like I'll be ordering them. Searching DTT for their name showed positive results, so it sounds like they are decent quality parts.

Definitely a damper on my weekend. Was hoping to have a strong-running bike by this evening, instead I am waiting on parts.

Got conned into shopping with the lady friend instead.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 05:28 PM #23
      I came to post about the JBM diaphragms. Looks like I'll be ordering them. Searching DTT for their name showed positive results, so it sounds like they are decent quality parts.
      I have a set of JBM diaphragms on my own bike ('93 CB750). They went on easily, good quality, and work great.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      08-20-2012 01:05 PM #24
      I have a set of JBM diaphragms on my own bike ('93 CB750). They went on easily, good quality, and work great.
      Good to hear.

Ordered them Saturday at ~10 a.m., they arrived today.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08-21-2012 08:42 AM #25
      Small progress last night. Put on the new grips and mirrors. Really happy with the look, especially for the price ($40 total, with shipping). Bike is BEGGING for round lights and gauges.

Before:

After:

Hoping to get the carbs cleaned and put back together tonight, tuned tomorrow night.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 10:10 AM #26
      I'm with you on the round lights, but I love the 80s square gauges. I'm just hiding the chunky gauge box on my Nighthawk behind a smoked "sport" type screen once I put a round headlight on there.

27. 08-22-2012 10:50 AM #27
      I think you've got a perfectly suitable platform to go for something like this:

Vehicles
      '11 Suby Legacy '06 HD 883 Sportster
      08-22-2012 11:07 AM #28
      ^^^ sooo sick
      Banchwerks A Fine German Tuning Haus 401.335.3336
      APR | Recaro | Techtonics | SPEC | KW | Milltek | Kinetic
      Southern New England's APR Resource

Mo'vember - drewthestacheman

08-22-2012 11:37 AM #29
      Yea.. That's a pretty bar bike.

- Josh
      -Josh
      01 ZRX1200

30. Member
      Vehicles
      08-22-2012 12:31 PM #30
      Yea.. That's a pretty bar bike.

- Josh
      That's the only issue I have with it. When I get to the point of owning multiple motorbikes, I WILL have something like that. As my only bike, though, no way. That doesn't look comfortable enough. It is awesome, though.

Got everything put back together last night, started it up just for peace of mind. Plan is to tune it tonight and register it tomorrow or Friday after work.

Carbs didn't get as thorough of a cleaning as I'd like to have done, but I feel like I have decent excuses:
      1. I need to register the bike by Tuesday
      2. The tank is coated with rust on the inside; it's pretty bad. The carbs will get filled back up with rusty crap. Gonna run them as-is til the winter, when I'll address the tank issue
      3. All passages/jets ARE clear, floats/needles in good shape, new diaphragms

Basically they just needed to soak to remove residue inside the bowls, but I didn't want any more downtime in this part of the year.

Of course, I'll end up having to take them back out next week and you guys can say "we told you so."

31. Member
      Vehicles
      08-24-2012 11:07 AM #31
      Found my issue last night, wasn't in the carbs after all.

Turns out my bike has the common XS11 issue of the coil pickup wires breaking. As they flex, the connect and disconnect at the breaks, which is what causes the loss of spark for 1 or 2 cylinders.

Found TWO broken wires. Soldered them back, bike ran much better.

Then it ran much worse, only 2 cylinders firing at all times, no longer intermittent. Guess one of my solders broke. I'll be rewiring with new wire today after work, rather than patching the old ones in there.

At least I know what the problem is.

Vehicles
      08-24-2012 01:46 PM #32
      Good that you found it. Personally I hate solder for vehicles, especially something like a motorcycle or an old car. Fresh crimps any time for me

33. Member
      Vehicles
      08-24-2012 09:36 PM #33
      Good that you found it. Personally I hate solder for vehicles, especially something like a motorcycle or an old car. Fresh crimps any time for me
      It fixed the problem, but then the bike went into another fit that feels like two cylinders are down and hasn't come out. Barely idles, isn't rideable.

Pulled the plugs, they are all getting spark. It is a weak, crappy spark and the plugs look like they may be slightly fouled. Throwing some new ones in tomorrow to see if that brings it back.

Also still need to tune my fuel mixture. It rode fine, but I can tell there is more power there with a better mix.

Found an awesome dude on xs11.com who seems to have EVERY part I need.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2012 12:24 PM #34
      One of my new fuel lines was a bit long and kinked up above the carb.

Bike runs like a BEAST now.

08-25-2012 01:41 PM #35
      How are you liking the bar end mirrors?

That bike needs a Suzuki 'train light' headlight something fierce.

-Josh
      01 ZRX1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast