Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting closer.

1. 08-23-2012 09:20 PM #51
      The basic concept of those headlights looks proper, like an evolution of the beautiful MK6 GTI bi-xenons. Here's to the design of the production ones following that same concept, and not anything like the monstrosities they put on the MK6 GLI.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      08-24-2012 02:59 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by MKV Aaron View Post
      That says nothing about the gti. That is all golf specific which is exactly what all the other mags are saying...
      No - reports have indicated that the regular Golf achieves its weight savings mostly with the usage of more high-strength steel, while a new method has been developed to interchange the steel roof (and hood) with aluminum in special models - like the GTI.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1, 2012 Porsche Boxster S. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      08-24-2012 03:45 AM #53
      I nave to say I'm disappointed the manual parking brake is going away and being replaced with an electronic one activated and released by a button, ala B6 Passat. More for reasons of familiarity, nostalgia and the feeling that it "just seems right" than any objective reasons, but there it is...

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      08-24-2012 07:06 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      I nave to say I'm disappointed the manual parking brake is going away and being replaced with an electronic one activated and released by a button, ala B6 Passat. More for reasons of familiarity, nostalgia and the feeling that it "just seems right" than any objective reasons, but there it is...
      A owned a b8 a4 for a brief stint that also had an electronic park button and hated it. Then again i pretty much hated every thing about the car and quickly went back to a gti go figure.

Headlights (from what we see) look sporty aggressive and stylish.

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1, 2012 Porsche Boxster S. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      08-24-2012 08:36 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by nastybags View Post

Headlights (from what we see) look sporty aggressive and stylish.
      Agreed, the general shape leaves me optimistic about how they'll look; and if the LEDs shown in the sketch with the car cover are the solution they've actually gone with,then I like themw those are much nicer than the "dot matrix" mustaches common on Audis, or what is on the late model A6 golfs, IMO.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 GTI, 2011 GTI
      08-24-2012 09:36 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      Agreed, not into over complication of something that can be solved with simple mechanical systems.

I know someone with a Touareg with an electronic parking brake. Got stuck due to an item getting jammed behind the switch in the center arm rest area. They would press button and nothing no disengagement, service adviser at the VW dealership says it happens often, luckily they did not charge them to fix it.

No thanks just give me a manual hand pull setup.

Vehicles
      13 CC R-Line
      08-24-2012 09:38 AM #57
      I had the electronic parking brake in the CC. All you have to do to disengage it is put the car in drive and give it a little gas. You can then hear the parking brake electronically release.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn, 04 .:R32, '87 GTI 16V, '15 Jetta SEL
      08-24-2012 11:59 AM #58
      What happens if you want to drift? Is that even remotely possible with an electronic e-brake?

I hate the idea of an electronic e-brake. It might not be a deal breaker if the rest of the car is spectacular.
      My MK7 GTI Build - roger2050

'15 Pure White GTI | Autobahn | DSG | APR Stg 1 | APR Carbon Fiber Intake | APR Turbo Muffler Delete | GFB DV+ | Res/Muffler Delete | LED Tails

Vehicles
      2010 CW GTI 6MT
      08-24-2012 12:49 PM #59
      New Rendering based on new info

Nordschleife Autoblahg - (VW, Audi, Porsche news)

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      08-24-2012 01:15 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by roger2050 View Post
      What happens if you want to drift? Is that even remotely possible with an electronic e-brake?

I hate the idea of an electronic e-brake. It might not be a deal breaker if the rest of the car is spectacular.
      Remind me never to buy a car from you.

Vehicles
      08-24-2012 03:07 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
      Remind me never to buy a car from you.
      lol.

I'm just speculating. Perhaps I'm looking into buying a car to perform handbrake parking stunts.

'15 Pure White GTI | Autobahn | DSG | APR Stg 1 | APR Carbon Fiber Intake | APR Turbo Muffler Delete | GFB DV+ | Res/Muffler Delete | LED Tails

Vehicles
      08-24-2012 03:09 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post

Well, it's certainly more realistic - and to an extent more accurate - than previous renderings. The tiny pillar right behind the windshield is interesting (isn't that a feature on the new A3 also?). The integration of new headlight LEDs is also probably very close to what we'll see in the GTI/R. Did I read somewhere about LED fogs too?

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      08-24-2012 03:20 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by roger2050 View Post
      lol.

I'm just speculating. Perhaps I'm looking into buying a car to perform handbrake parking stunts.

14. 08-24-2012 03:56 PM #64

I hereby approve of this design.

15. 08-24-2012 04:23 PM #65

X2

16. 08-24-2012 04:27 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by MKV Aaron View Post
      The Edition 30 and 35 both have K04 turbos though (FSI). So while they are only 230/235hp, they are a fuel pump, chip and Downpipe away from 300+, which is the important thing.

If the new GTI engine has a K04 sized turbo on a TSI based 2.0T with 222hp, It'd be a good thing! This means only a chip and DP for 300+hp. ...................................
      With the official release drawing close there are not too many opportunities remaining for armchair engineering guesstimations, so I am also making my guesses .

I am also guessing that the new TSI engine will have a larger turbo. I am not sure that the current GTI uses the K03 as there was some information out that the new TSI turbo was smaller than a K03. Regardless I do believe the new Turbo will be approaching the size of a K04.

How did I arrive at this guess? The current TSI engine needed a small turbo that was transparent which led to a smoothness in the GTI that was abscent from the K04 Edition 30 which is rumoured to be peaky with too much lag.

Enter the valvelift TSI engine. VW can have quick turbo spool even on a larger turbo by using the valve lift (which is strategically positioned on the exhaust valves) to increase the exhaust velocity. Jamie also commented that the power will fall between 230 and 240hp. It will be more expensive to reliably tune the current turbo to those output numbers while maintaining a reasonable
      "abuse factor" than it is to use a larger turbo, plus the larger turbo will have higher rpm capabilities.

I am also guesstimating that we will see a seven speed DSG with 1:1 in 5th gear and two overdrive gears, but the final gear will not be as tall as the TT-RS due to lower torque numbers. In my opinion, a seven speed (vs a six speed gearbox) with closer ratios is more important that the absolute Horsepower numbers.

I am guessing that the GTI will be equiped eclusively with summer tires. The suspension engineers will have more options available to dial-in the handling of the car.

The brakes will be a carry-over, with less weight and sticky summer tires there is no need waste money developing a new braking systems, but there will likely be a few tweaks to make the brake application more immediate.

Electronic torque vectoring will be optional and the setup will duplicate a 1.5 way torsen diff, but with lock-up capabilities. If the application of the brakes returns it to a open diff profile such as the 4WD haldex does I will be very dissapointed.

With a full electric steering the ESP will be significantly less active, as an electric steering system reacts around 5 to 7 times faster than a legacy braking system and can be tuned as a first line of defence, maybe a little less potent than on a RWD setup (this is one of the areas where I believe dedicated summer tires will make a huge difference).

Twist beam suspension will be used to save weight .
      Last edited by 1-VW; 08-24-2012 at 04:29 PM.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      08-24-2012 07:25 PM #67
      It's probably a car I'm over looking but what's this?

Vehicles
      2010 CW GTI 6MT
      08-24-2012 08:03 PM #68
      ^^^ That's a Polo
      Nordschleife Autoblahg - (VW, Audi, Porsche news)

Vehicles
      2010 vw golf VI 1,4 TSI Highline
      08-25-2012 12:16 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by nastybags View Post
      It's probably a car I'm over looking but what's this?
      It's the golf's little brother polo. hehe
      It is about the size of the golf mk 3

20. 08-25-2012 12:22 PM #70
      ^^^ That's a Polo
      Here is a full shot of the Polo, which my guess is that the look of the new Golf will have a lot of similiarities to it.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk6 Golf TDI
      08-25-2012 01:11 PM #71

Might sound silly but if it looks like this, will we be able to facelift our cars to look like this?

e.g change front bumper, fender, hood?

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      08-25-2012 01:37 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 1-VW View Post
      I am also guesstimating that we will see a seven speed DSG with 1:1 in 5th gear and two overdrive gears, but the final gear will not be as tall as the TT-RS due to lower torque numbers. In my opinion, a seven speed (vs a six speed gearbox) with closer ratios is more important that the absolute Horsepower numbers.

23. 08-26-2012 07:07 PM #73
      The VW Group already has a 7-speed DSG in production, but it has a lower torque rating than the 6-speed. We know the upcoming Jetta Hybrid (with 1.4 TSI engine) will be using the 7-speed.

I suspect the reality is that there is no new transmission (for now), the 7-speed DSG will be used on the smaller, lower-powered engines (up to and including the 1.4 TSI) and the engines with higher torque output (TDI, 2.0 TSI) will stay with the 6-speed, and the new 1.8 TSI is a crapshoot that could go either way.

Time will tell ...

24. 08-26-2012 08:36 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post

..........I suspect the reality is that there is no new transmission (for now), the 7-speed DSG will be used on the smaller, lower-powered engines (up to and including the 1.4 TSI) and the engines with higher torque output (TDI, 2.0 TSI) will stay with the 6-speed, and the new 1.8 TSI is a crapshoot that could go either way.

Time will tell ...
      See my reference to the TT-RS, but the euro-spec version.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

Vehicles
      Bork bork bork!
      08-27-2012 10:04 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Harryshah View Post
      Might sound silly but if it looks like this, will we be able to facelift our cars to look like this?

e.g change front bumper, fender, hood?
      This is a totally different platform, so I highly doubt it. You will probably see MKVI headlights and aftermarket bumpers out that mimic the MKVII look, though.
      09 gti | 10 xc70 | seventwosix | flickr

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast