Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Cabrio front door glass regulator issue with pictures

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Cabrio convertible
      08-15-2012 10:52 AM #1
      I need you guys help again. My daughters passenger door glass would not go up all the way and when I took it apart I could see that the previous owner added a steel cable as a stop and it had got snagged on a bolt keeping the glass from going to the top. I'm guessing by the looks of the installation that it is not OEM... :-)

Here it is fully stretched out.

And here is the Front regulator arm.

I have looked at my Bentley manual and it shows a different set up with an adjustable screw that I should be able to adjust or set that would keep the glass from going to far up or down. Are these missing parts or just the wrong parts or what? I dont see or feel anything on the regulator that would hit at the top to keep the glass from going to far. Which is why the previous owner added this cable stop. I looked at the other door and it has been rigged the same way.

Can someone tell me what it is supposed to look like and if I'm missing a part what it is. I like doing things right and this definately is not. Thank you for looking...

Garrett
      Last edited by biggunn; 08-16-2012 at 09:37 AM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 09:40 AM #2
      Not getting any help on this... I know this has come up but there is not much on vwvortex that identifies the problem. Dealer wasn't any help either. Can somebody help me?

Vehicles
      Original Owner 2002 Cabrio GLX, 1969 Baja Bug
      08-16-2012 02:10 PM #3
      The Bentley is right, that mess is wrong.

My guess is that they adapted a sedan part.

You may need to do some junkyard shopping.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      currently own 05 Passat Wagon, 1988 Cabriolet
      08-16-2012 02:52 PM #4
      They probably rigged it because they cost almost $300 for the regulator. Can you take the regulator out and try and "rewind" it?
      Working hard to show everyone that not all dealer mechanics are crooks. Most of us really care about our customers and their cars. You can read all about it on the car blog

Any thoughts I post are my own. I am not speculating on any repair VWoA is making, has made, or will make.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 02:54 PM #5
      Thanks BigFatDog... I was afraid of that. Anybody out there got some used regulators they want to get rid of? I need the drivers and passenger front door regulators.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 02:58 PM #6
      I can try humble mechanic but I'm not even sure how the current regulator is supposed to work. I don't know what makes it stop. I can just take it apart and look I guess but I'd like to know ahead of time what to fix.

Vehicles
      Original Owner 2002 Cabrio GLX, 1969 Baja Bug
      08-17-2012 11:20 AM #7
      Stuff like that really makes me It contributes to VWs reputation for problems.

There is no easy fix for that. You can't rewind what ain't there. You'll need to junkyard shop. From the sound of things you may want to go looking for a parts car to keep around.

That said... It worked for a while. Just repeat what they did and replace the wire, but realize it's only a temp. fix.
      Last edited by BigFatDog; 08-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      currently own 05 Passat Wagon, 1988 Cabriolet
      08-17-2012 08:46 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDog View Post
      Stuff like that really makes me It contributes to VWs reputation for problems.

There is no easy fix for that. You can't rewind what ain't there. You'll need to junkyard shop. From the sound of things you may want to go looking for a parts car to keep around.

That said... It worked for a while. Just repeat what they did and replace the wire, but realize it's only a temp. fix.
      Looks like it contributes to people rigging things that break just as much as the rep for problems. Just sayin...

Good luck man. I hope you can find a good one in the bone yard
      Working hard to show everyone that not all dealer mechanics are crooks. Most of us really care about our customers and their cars. You can read all about it on the car blog

Any thoughts I post are my own. I am not speculating on any repair VWoA is making, has made, or will make.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-20-2012 09:53 AM #9
      Thanks folks... At least I know what I need to do. Appreciate the input.

Vehicles
      '00 Golf Cabriolet & '11 JSW 2.5
      08-22-2012 10:30 PM #10
      Definitely not the later style Mk3.5 regulator clips but any 2 door regulator would work just as well. I cannot tell from looking at the pics but perhaps the plastic clips broke and it can be repaired using the zip-tie and electrical connector butt trick.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 09:31 AM #11
      aoj2108 can you explain the "zip-tie and electrical connector butt trick"? Is there another post you could point me to or have any pictures? Thanks