• .:R32

Votes: 220 52.3%
  • S2000

Votes: 201 47.7%

.:R32 vs. S2000

103K views 389 replies 129 participants last post by  mert mert 
#1 ·
You've got $15,000 to spend.
What car would you pick as an all around daily driver/weekend toy/possible odd lapping day?
Summer driven only.

2004 .:R32

S2000

See less See more
#43 ·
The S2000 is a little too small for me. It is a fun car, but the Golf is a better size for daily, even in the summer. I'd rock it year round, but then again... Honestly, the TT 225TQ is a better compare to the S2000...

#45 ·
As soon as daily driver comes in to the eqaution it can only be the R32. I test drove an S2000 and in heavy traffic it was by far the least fun to drive car that I have ever driven. Constantly rowwing the gears and getting smoked by milk trucks off the line. On the back roads or at a track day event the car would be a blast but due to the DD in the OP's statement I have to side with the R. Plus I've always wanted the R.

#47 · (Edited)
I've had both a 2002 S2000 and a OEM+ 2004 GTI 1.8t... and although not an R32, the usage and reliability still applies...

Given the budget I voted for the S2000, simply because I think you'd get a more reliable, more fun to drive car based on the prices of those two cars here (Northern California). Most R32's in that price range, in this area, are high mileage... something that I would not want in any VW.

That said, if we are talking hypotheticals here, and mileage and year are the same, I would pick the R32. I'm 6'2", 175lbs, and even with modified seat rails and a hard top, I never fit well in the S2000. It drives like a go-kart, like it was designed to be... but it also rides like a go-kart, and that got old, especially during the morning commute. Some people will tell you that they can get a trunk full of small crap in a small car and that's supposed to be impressive... well try getting anything larger than a 12 pack of beer in it and then come talk to me. Yes, you can go to the store with it, but you have to be crafty with everything you buy... every... time... Also, like someone else already said, the powerplant leaves much to be desired when not driving the wheels off of it. One time, I distinctly remember thinking about how many shifts it took for me to accelerate to 45 mph while next to an Accord that seemed to effortlessly float to the same speed. If you're not pushing it to the v-tech line, it's essentially a dx civic. The S2000 makes an amazing car as a second vehicle, and if that was an option for me, mine would still be in the garage.

The R32 is pretty much the best of all worlds. It's relatively quick, handles decently, can move a small apartment with one, and it has a rare quality that is always redeeming. It doesn't do any one thing really well, but it's a good all around GT car for those of us with lives outside of "track days". Not that it would be my first choice of car in this contest, but given your choices, this is how I see it.

#53 ·
I'm not Ayrton Senna, so i'm not going for any lap records. Yeah the R32 is no where near as nimble but it doesn't mean it's any less fun. :peace: For smiles per gallon I'd take the R32 every day. The noise and torque curve is enough to win me over. For a daily, that occasionally sees a track it wins in my book.

Now put a 3.2 VR, or hell a 3.6VR since externally the block is the same, in an S2000 and then it's interesting :D

3.2/3.6 liter engine, that's only the length of an i4 and sits completely behind the front suspension in a RWD chassis? Yea, count me in! :eek:

#54 ·
S2k drives awesome but if you're tracking it then you need to factor in the hassle of a real roll bar and meeting the broomstick test. If you're long in the torso you might not be able to pass the broomstick test in a S2000 without making some mods, perhaps even more so than just racing bucket seats bolted straight to the floor.

#66 · (Edited)
Not at all... I said all around car... Something i can drive to work, but still have fun with. And it doesn't have to be an EVERYDAY daily driver (see sig) I have other cars to choose from too. I just don't want to drive it in Ontario winters and have it get rusted out from all the salt.

(Although the .:R would be extremly fun in the snow) Yes i wrote .:R again :D

#73 ·
#99 ·
I am one of the biggest VW fanbois in the Lounge.

But S2000 all day every day. Never would an S2000 be my daily but it's a car that I want for a weekender SO friggin bad.

DSC_2996 by ATPhotodesign, on Flickr
Damn your photos are brilliant (as usual)! :eek:

Also, I've driven both and they are very fun, quick cars. Ideally you'd have both, but for summer only it's S2000 or bust. :thumbup: Preferably the pre-refresh model with the post-refresh wheels.

#75 ·
S2000 :thumbup:

I've been daily'ing my s for 8 months now, the lack of space was a little tough to get used to especially coming from a 4door golf... But everytime I drive the car it puts a smile on my face and makes me remember why I gave up a little practicality.

If I wanted a fun awd car I would have got an sti which is better than the .:r in almost every aspect except interior quality.

#82 ·
If this is a 2nd car, why would you even consider the R32? The S2000 is by far a better car for having fun. If you're going to daily drive it every day of the year that's a different story, but again for a fun car this isn't a contest.

#83 ·
I have to agree with the other posters regarding how much of a DD this will be. The S2000 will not likely see Ontario winter duty. Despite the impressive 2x4 and Costco posts, you are not likely to take it shopping. You're not going to take it to drive people/family around. Despite it being a superior driver's car, you are bound to drive your Jeep Liberty around for all of these situations. With the R32, you can drive it all the time and enjoy it. So basically the argument is based on driving time:

50% Honda S2K vs. 50% Jeep Liberty
85% R32 vs. 15% Jeep Liberty.

I vote for minimizing the time spent in the Jeep Liberty.

#101 ·
R32 for practicality, low end torque, amazing sound, much better interior, AWD(it rains in the summer) better DD.

S2K would be a better car for the track but that's about it

Yes. This guy has it all figured out.

S2000 is only better on the track. It's official now in case anyone was wondering.

#87 ·
Seriously. For a SUMMER CAR that can be "daily driven" (aka 3 months out of the year) and weekend warrior/track toy, the S2000 is the correct answer in this "poll."

Like I said, OP (or someone else) is getting all the Mk4 boys to the yard to vote for the R32.

Again, the S2000 can be daily driven EASILY. You don't need 15sq ft of cargo capacity in a daily driver unless you work in construction or carpentry or some sort of manual labor, and if you did, you wouldn't be considering EITHER of these cars, so this "but the Golf can haul stuff" argument is moot.

#100 ·
I'm not going to vote because I drive an S2000 and it's a silly poll.

1 - As a daily driver, it depends on what your commute is like. If it consists of a lot of stop and go traffic, and you live in a city with dense traffic, in a hot climate the S2000 will suck. It is a car that needs an open road, or some semblance of a nice drive. To be honest, it should be a crime to drive an S2000 like this. It is painfully obvious it was not designed for this.

2 - If it's 100 outside, the A/C is on and you are sitting in traffic. The S2000 is the wrong car to be in. You will hate it. It sucks. This is the only time the car feels like it lacks low end grunt. Engine gets heatsoaked and below 2.5 RPM, it is awful.

Some of the posts in here sound like little girls. It's loud, its small, I need more torks. Wah.

The devil is in the details, like anything else. Everything is a compromise, I just know I'll side with the car built from the ground up to be a driver's car and compromise with the cons everyone knows, versus driving a car that is less of a driver's car but has more creature comforts.

While I am young (32) this is my take on it. When I am 50 + years old, an S2000 would be the last car on my list, by then I will be too old and grumpy to drive a raw car like this. I will literally be saying, wah, its too loud, too small, revs to 9K and I want a car that has more low torks.

R32 is a great car too, I like it. I appreciate it and respect it but while I am young and can tolerate all the S2000 cons, choice is easy for me. Driver's car it is.

#124 ·
I'm not going to vote because I drive an S2000 and it's a silly poll.

1 - As a daily driver, it depends on what your commute is like. If it consists of a lot of stop and go traffic, and you live in a city with dense traffic, in a hot climate the S2000 will suck. It is a car that needs an open road, or some semblance of a nice drive. To be honest, it should be a crime to drive an S2000 like this. It is painfully obvious it was not designed for this.

2 - If it's 100 outside, the A/C is on and you are sitting in traffic. The S2000 is the wrong car to be in. You will hate it. It sucks. This is the only time the car feels like it lacks low end grunt. Engine gets heatsoaked and below 2.5 RPM, it is awful.
Awesome post. I can tell you have owned it through a few hot summers. Spot on with the comments.

Personally, I sacrifice the 99% of crappy traffic bumpy city driving for the 1% of open road twisties on the weekend.

Also, having a smaller trunk will help you save money by not buying unnecessary crap at stores all the time. S2000 will also help you stay on a diet because if you put a few pounds on, the cockpit starts to close in on you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.