Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Coolant leak middle of engine this time

1. 08-15-2012 06:20 PM #1
      Okay so I changed my water pump bc of a leak and everything was fine for a couple days. My gf was getting her hair done when she noticed coolant leaking again. This time it looks to be coming from almost right in the middle of the engine on the front. Is this the crack pipe? I had her pour water in while i was underneath and thats what I saw. I will try to get a pic up tomorrow.

Also I did get g12 and am running that now. I flushed out the coolant from radiator, does it need to be flushed out of anywhere else? Like heater core?

And one last question.. on the DIY for the crack pipe, he replaces the thermostat, thermo cover, thermo housing, ecu temp sensor, ac switch, and 2 sensor o ring. Is all this necessary? I planned on replacing the thrmostat and housing seal but why everything else?? He never really says

Thanks guys

Crack pipe right?

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '01 Jetta GLX
      08-15-2012 06:44 PM #2
      yup, crack pipe. If you have not changed the sensor, I definately would. It's a cheap part that is a pain to get at. You can get the complete thermostat housing kit that has the o rings and new plugs and everything from GAP for less than 150, depending if you get the plastic pipe, or the metal. I just did this about a month ago. I replaced everything, and went with the metal pipe because it is a pain to do and I did not want to do it again. The housings are known to fail, that is why there is the kit. Easier to do it all at once.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '01 Jetta GLX
      08-15-2012 06:45 PM #3
      yup, crack pipe. If you have not changed the sensor, I definately would. It's a cheap part that can be a pain to get at. You can get the complete thermostat housing kit that has the o rings and new plugs and everything from GAP for less than 150, depending if you get the plastic pipe, or the metal. I just did this about a month ago. I replaced everything, and went with the metal pipe because it is a pain to do and I did not want to do it again. The housings are known to fail, that is why there is the kit. Easier to do it all at once.

4. Member
      08-15-2012 07:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cornfused View Post
      Also I did get g12 and am running that now. I flushed out the coolant from radiator, does it need to be flushed out of anywhere else? Like heater core?
      If you started with G11, you should've flushed all of the coolant in the entire system, perhaps running straight distilled water for a bit to ensure that no G11 was left in the system.
      Kenji

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      08-15-2012 08:41 PM #5
      Seems very common the last couple weeks
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

6. 08-15-2012 09:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
      If you started with G11, you should've flushed all of the coolant in the entire system, perhaps running straight distilled water for a bit to ensure that no G11 was left in the system.
      I had prestone in it :/

7. 08-16-2012 06:43 PM #7
      So which thermostat should I get 70c or 80c and who is GAP?? Gruven? They dont have any kit

Vehicles
      1992 GTI VR6
      08-16-2012 06:56 PM #8
      Gap=German auto Parts

Gruven is another online shop.

I bought my kit from MJMtuning.com
      4-8-15-16-23-42

9. 08-16-2012 07:06 PM #9
      Well I ordered the kit from MJM with the 80c thermostat
      how do I flush coolant from the heater core?

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      08-16-2012 09:08 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cornfused View Post
      Well I ordered the kit from MJM with the 80c thermostat
      how do I flush coolant from the heater core?
      Good luck with MJM.

TO flush the heater core remove both hoses from the flanges, but be VERY careful not to break the plastic.
      Age and heat takes its toll on them and they become very brittle.
      Put a garden hose on one of them and let the water run through for a while.

11. 08-17-2012 03:45 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      Good luck with MJM.

TO flush the heater core remove both hoses from the flanges, but be VERY careful not to break the plastic.
      Age and heat takes its toll on them and they become very brittle.
      Put a garden hose on one of them and let the water run through for a while.
      Thanks man, and why do you say good luck with mjm? Bad experience?

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      08-17-2012 04:08 PM #12
      Check your card statement. U bet the money is already gone. Send them an email and see how long it takes to get it. If you ordered it today I'm guessing it might ship by the 31st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Dead. Will be back.. stronger.
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driver Status

Vehicles
      1992 GTI VR6
      08-17-2012 05:31 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRon View Post
      Check your card statement. U bet the money is already gone. Send them an email and see how long it takes to get it. If you ordered it today I'm guessing it might ship by the 31st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I've always had quick shipping from MJM.
      4-8-15-16-23-42

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      08-17-2012 11:33 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by kevinivek View Post
      I've always had quick shipping from MJM.
      Took them a full week just to tell TT to ship the cams I ordered from them that they said were in stock. Then they gave me a piss poor attitude when I told them to cancel the order because I needed my car back and wasn't going to wait another 2 weeks.

That was about a year ago. About a month ago I contacted them regarding suspension for my Corrado. Twice. Even called after a full week of not hearing anything. They said they still hadn't gotten through all their e-mails, asked for my name and e-mail address and said they'd get back to me within one business day. I'm STILL waiting for a reply. Meanwhile.. I ordered from elsewhere and installed my suspension already.

MJM sucks ass.
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Dead. Will be back.. stronger.
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driver Status

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      08-19-2012 10:11 PM #15
      The bigger percentage of users here have had bad experience with them.
      Just search "MJM", and not only in the 12v forum; you will find plenty of food for thought -
      that is if the mods haven't deleted the threads (mind you, MJM are an advertiser here).

16. 09-04-2012 01:31 PM #16
      MJM did okay, I paid for the express shipping and it wasnt express but at least it got here