Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: coolant flush help.

Vehicles
      Rabbit
      08-16-2012 11:07 AM #1
      so i picked up a 2002 2.0 cabrio, and realized after that the coolant was yellow and pussie, so i'm planning on doing a coolant flush. i couldnt find the drain hose that apparently some 2.0s have and others dont. i'm guessing that people just take the hose off the lower radiator? only thing is i want to completly flush everything out to get rid of this sh*t. also it looked like the stuff got into the oil. i did an oil change but could it still be a potential problem?any help would be appreciated. the only diy's i could find had the drain hose.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-16-2012 11:20 AM #2
      Yellow and coagulated maybe? That is a sign that you have oil/a/f or G12 intermix. That is usually caused by the oil cooler. I would strongly suggest that you buy a new oil cooler and gasket (o-ring), and replace it and your oil/filter. Then Drain your cooling system fill with water with a 1/2 bottle of SHOUT laundry cleaner and water, you will be draining your coolant first, run in the car for about 15 minutes, then Drain and Flush and back flush again. Then drain and fill with the proper G12.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      Rabbit
      08-16-2012 11:48 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Yellow and coagulated maybe? That is a sign that you have oil/a/f or G12 intermix. That is usually caused by the oil cooler. I would strongly suggest that you buy a new oil cooler and gasket (o-ring), and replace it and your oil/filter. Then Drain your cooling system fill with water with a 1/2 bottle of SHOUT laundry cleaner and water, you will be draining your coolant first, run in the car for about 15 minutes, then Drain and Flush and back flush again. Then drain and fill with the proper G12.
      sh*t. i just did a full oil change too.. and not to mention this is my girlfriends "new" car. so i'm gunna be in a heap of sh*t for this.. and fill with water and a half bottle of shout? where did you learn about using shout. i'v never heard about that before.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-16-2012 12:11 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
      sh*t. i just did a full oil change too.. and not to mention this is my girlfriends "new" car. so i'm gunna be in a heap of sh*t for this.. and fill with water and a half bottle of shout? where did you learn about using shout. i'v never heard about that before.
      That is from a mechanic friend when I went to discuss the similar symptom on my Nieces 2.0L Passat. The oil cooler was indeed bad. What happens is that the oil pressure being greater than the pressure of the cooling system will weep in to the coolant, and that will contaminate it. The a/f rarely gets in to the oil.

Shout is a non-foaming de-greaser, that will eliminate the oil in the engine coolant system after you drain the a/f.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      Rabbit
      08-16-2012 12:13 PM #5
      i think i'm going to just do the coolant flush and see how that goes. i'll just have to check under the oil cap and check everything to make sure no more mixture seams to occure. if it dose then i'll have to change the oil cooler like mentioned. i have a friend with vagcom. so i'll have him check the codes cause their is a cel. also mike robles (if anyone knows him) said that it could be a leaking cap. guessing he ment if the cap didnt seal all the way as if their was a crack or the previous owner forgot to use it or something.

Vehicles
      00 Cabrio 97 GLX 97 Cabrio 92 GLI 83 GTI 79 Scirocco
      08-16-2012 02:35 PM #6
      Here are a couple of Dan Reed's pages that are relevant here:

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...seal/index.htm

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...aint/index.htm

Mine had very ugly cooliant from the previous owner mixing antifreeze types.

Vehicles
      Rabbit
      08-17-2012 01:01 AM #7
      so i flushed the coolant by unhooking the lower radiator hose and with just water untill it came out clean then turned the car on till it was once again clean. i then hooked the hose back up and started the car. oil started to pool i the bubble, so i'm guessing its the oil cooler. i'm going to pick one up tomorrow, just sucks that i JUST did an oil change and wasted like 4 quarts of oil. but anyway thanks for the input and help. i'm gunna be following the link from ExpoAccel. i just hope it isnt the head gasket...