Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 Passat AWM Oil Pump Removal Help

1. 08-16-2012 06:49 PM #1
      I need help figuring out how to remove this oil pump out of my sisters car. Ive got the three bolts off the oil pump, but cant figure out how to remove the pump itself. I read the FSM and it says you have to remove a bolt somewhere. But i dont know where that is...

Could someone help me figure out how to remove this pump. Thanks

James

2. 08-16-2012 10:23 PM #2
      Figured it out. All you need is a T45 socket on the gear to take off the bolt. Then slide the gear out and remove the pump. Got the new one in in reverse order. I would suggest loosening that bolt first before the bolts to the pump.

Vehicles
      1973 jeep wagoneer, rip 02 gli vr6 24v
      01-28-2013 04:39 AM #3
      I was struggling with this as well, after looking at the bentley it says the correct way to replace the pump is to pull the bolt off of the crank on the crank timing sprocket. (19mm; 66ftlbs + 1/4 turn torque spec) and then remove sprocket and remove lower front sealing flange. Take off the seal and replace chain and oil pump chain tensioner. The tensioner in mine is pretty worn down and I'm going to replace it but can't get the bolt of the crank timing sprocket. I don't have access to vw specific tool 3415 that locks the sprocket in place. What else can I do to lock it in place?
      Living fast in the the slow lane. Still have a vw though. Sometimes that's just enough

Vehicles
      01-28-2013 01:14 PM #4
      Since these cars are known for theiir sludge problems and it seems rediculous to pay a shop to do the work I can do for free and most people can do, there's got to b a cheap solution as to how to get this job done right. It will always come down to having the right tools but is there anyone on here who has completed this job on their own. I haven't read one thread yet in the past few days that actually has info on how to do this in their own garage. A little time for some info would b a much appreciated respectable effort and do the passatworld a hell of a lot of help.
      Living fast in the the slow lane. Still have a vw though. Sometimes that's just enough

Vehicles
      01-30-2013 10:29 PM #5
      So I said screw it and wedged a block of wood inbetween the block inner wall and the crank. Slowly tighted the wood in place by spinning the crank, then attached breaker bar, and listened to the wood crack for 30 seconds with quite a lot of force on breaker bar and bam, finally broke it loose. I figured wood was gonna break before the crank so I haven't the slightest clue if I just f$*&ed myself. Any insight?

6. 02-02-2013 07:20 PM #6
      What did you guys do to get the oil pan out? That seems to be the biggest problem w/ the longitudinal 1.8s.

7. 06-19-2013 08:36 PM #7
      From what i gathered, I had to keep the motor in the air while lowering the subframe. While i was in there i replaced all the motor mounts too.

If anyone has any questions about this process, email me at gearheadactivist@gmail.com