Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: News: Brutal Video of the NYPD Shooting a Dog Trying to Protect Her Owner

08-17-2012 09:02 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by vwmaniac16vr6 View Post
      So shoot the dog because an unleashed pitbull in the city is clearly very vicious and must have a terrible temperment ... give me a break all dogs run around but because its a pit it lunged at him. Dog didnt bit anyone its a shame nobody grabbed the dog before it was shot for being a dog
      And we spy another poster who did not watch the linked video.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

08-17-2012 09:05 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      Not sure who taught your course, but basic first aid for a seizure patient lying down is to turn their body or head to the side and continue to do so until the seizure is over. That dude on the ground was in the worst possible position on his back.
      Local firefighters.

I'm sure you're right. It even makes sense...but the first thing you are really supposed to do is not make anything worse. POs are not trained medics. They aren't, period. Their greatest help will be making the call for trained pros, not trying to recall training that they don't use very often and might f-up.

08-17-2012 09:06 AM #53
      Don't they have to tell the dog to STOP RESISTING first?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

08-17-2012 09:10 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Don't they have to tell the dog to STOP RESISTING first?
      I spat out my coffee. Thanks.

I have "STOP RESISTING!" permanently ingrained...i immediately picture some drunk bastard on the ground with five cops piled on top cuffing him while he drools on the ground.

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      08-17-2012 09:15 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by vwmaniac16vr6 View Post
      So shoot the dog because an unleashed pitbull in the city is clearly very vicious and must have a terrible temperment ... give me a break all dogs run around but because its a pit it lunged at him. Dog didnt bit anyone its a shame nobody grabbed the dog before it was shot for being a dog
      Know how I know you are not smart???

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      08-17-2012 09:20 AM #56
      It's sad but I understand why the cop shot the dog. Glad there is still a chance for it to recover.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      08-17-2012 09:23 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I'm sure you're right. It even makes sense...but the first thing you are really supposed to do is not make anything worse. POs are not trained medics. They aren't, period.
      There's a difference in being a Certified First Responder (which all NYPD officers should be) and a Medic/EMT, which no one expects them to be.

I'm Certified in CPR, AED, First Aid, Blood Born Pathogens, and a couple other things based on the hazards and often remote location of my work. I'm probably not trained up to First Responder Level, but dealing with a seizure is something that I've been trained to do.

You can't tell me that nobody thought to put a rolled up shirt/coat/blanket under his head, or, at the very least something soft (like his backpak) between him and the metal pole?
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      03 Passat and a 05 T&C, Cadillac of minivans
      08-17-2012 09:26 AM #58
      "OH MY GAWD! DEY SHOTS DA DOGGIE! DEY SHOTS DA DOGGIE! WHATS DA DOGGIE DO? WHY YOU DO DAT TA HIM?"- Loud Idiot Lady

The lady speaking at the end with,"I'm calling the media" and "....even if that dog bit somebody, why you going to shoot?"

Is logical thinking elevated to an art form these days?

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      08-17-2012 09:35 AM #59
      I'm still impressed how quick that cop unholstered and shot the dog. He should get an achievement medal for that.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

08-17-2012 09:37 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      ...cause the dog was going to kill him? Isn't that what his tazer is for?
      Kill? Probably not. Bite? Most likely. Did the dog lung at a pedestrian before turning back to the cops? Yes.
      Free Patrikman 2015. #letmypeoplego

Vehicles
      saloon/specialized
      08-17-2012 09:57 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      You can't tell me that nobody thought to put a rolled up shirt/coat/blanket under his head, or, at the very least something soft (like his backpak) between him and the metal pole?
      im sure the cops or a bystander would've done that if the dog wasn't present at the scene. but after the cop took the shot, his concern was probably that he had fired his weapon, there was a yelping dog at his feet and a growing crowd of yelling people. who knows what happened after the video cut out and the scene was a bit more controlled.

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      08-17-2012 10:05 AM #62
      I just frustrates the hell outta me seeing how quickly we bash LEO. Sure some may not be perfect but trade jobs with them - even for a week and see how it changes you. With LEO friends it's not easy.

Now for this situation, since there was a scene developing and probably due to the type of dog NYPD was prepared "just in case", yes as dog owner it's hard to watch/listen, but I fulled expected the officer to do... what he did.

- Oh to add, every idiot (myself included) has a damn camera phone and too many are too quick to judge and play armchair quarterback. Real life happens in a flash.
      Last edited by cwescapexlt4x4; 08-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards, aspherical mirrors, LED reverse lights.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 -gone 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      08-17-2012 10:16 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Kill? Probably not. Bite? Most likely. Did the dog lung at a pedestrian before turning back to the cops? Yes.
      Right. It's not the cops job to get bitten by a dog and he has a gun for a reason. This isn't like self-defense from a human where he needs to feel his life is in danger to justify lethal force.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      08-17-2012 10:24 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Right. It's not the cops job to get bitten by a dog and he has a gun for a reason. This isn't like self-defense from a human where he needs to feel his life is in danger to justify lethal force.
      It's the nature of the beast and totally agree
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards, aspherical mirrors, LED reverse lights.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 -gone 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      08-17-2012 12:21 PM #65
      this seems okay to me because the dop lunged at the officer, and the officer shot only once. I cannot see how this would have ended any better given the circumstances. it is sad to see an animal get shot, but at least I can see the dog is doing alright at least.

i am curious as to what the owner has said about the incident though....

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2009 Subaru WRX, 2003 Subaru Baja
      08-17-2012 01:35 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      I'm still impressed how quick that cop unholstered and shot the dog. He should get an achievement medal for that.
      After watching the video a few times more, I'm thinking the cop approached the dog since it was sort of "attacking" a bystander. I'm guessing then he was anticipating the dog to turn and come at him, which is why he was ready to use force.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

17. 08-17-2012 01:42 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by bmann View Post
      After watching the video a few times more, I'm thinking the cop approached the dog since it was sort of "attacking" a bystander. I'm guessing then he was anticipating the dog to turn and come at him, which is why he was ready to use force.
      He saw the dog attack another bystander, so he knew the dog meant business, so when he advanced the dog turned and bam. Quick reaction if you ask me.

Knowing me, I'd probably kick it first.

18. 08-17-2012 01:50 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Funkatollah Insaney View Post
      "OH MY GAWD! DEY SHOTS DA DOGGIE! DEY SHOTS DA DOGGIE! WHATS DA DOGGIE DO? WHY YOU DO DAT TA HIM?"- Loud Idiot Lady

I thought that only happened on Youtube where every video featuring an animal is somehow decried as animal abuse. This is the least controversial cop video I've ever seen.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-17-2012 03:14 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Funkatollah Insaney View Post

The lady speaking at the end with,"I'm calling the media" and "....even if that dog bit somebody, why you going to shoot?"

Is logical thinking elevated to an art form these days?
      And which media jumped all over it? Gawker.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

08-17-2012 03:25 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Are you questioning the journalistic integrity of Jezebel?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit 1.6l diesel
      08-17-2012 03:36 PM #71
      Tazer seems like the better option for sure.. but you can't always make the best call in the amount of time the officer had to react. I'm sure he'll feel pretty damn ****ty about it regardless. Especially if he confronted the owner about it afterwards.
      josephriehl.com

Vehicles
      Shaved MK3 VR
      08-17-2012 03:38 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      A lot of different media outlets covered this story in NY, it wasn't just gawker...

This story was circulating throughout my office the other day and this was the first time i've ever heard of gawker.

I hope the owner and dog make a full recovery
      nothingleavesstock
      5780 Main Street Center Valley, PA 18034 - 610 282 5487
      Full fabrication shop - Motor Swaps - Custom Turbo Setups - Engine Work - Welding - Custom Exhaust Work

23. 08-17-2012 04:41 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Are you questioning the journalistic integrity of Jezebel?
      PATRIARCHY! Jezebel is one of most unintentionally hilarious sites on the internet.

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      08-17-2012 09:07 PM #74
      Jesus Christ, those two screaming and crying women are so f***ing annoying.

I love dogs but I'm with the police officer on this one. The shooting was completely justified.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-17-2012 10:17 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by ABAcabby View Post
      Tazer seems like the better option for sure.. but you can't always make the best call in the amount of time the officer had to react. I'm sure he'll feel pretty damn ****ty about it regardless. Especially if he confronted the owner about it afterwards.
      But what are you going to do, keep tazing the dog to keep it down? Tie up an officer doing nothing but keeping the dog restrained? Either one of those options would have people screaming about it too.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast