Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 3rd times a charm...

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd Quattro
      08-17-2012 02:03 AM #1
      Whats good everybody, long time "lurker" / long time vortex member in general... Picked up my first A4 maybe about 2 years ago, it was my second car, it was a beat to crap 1998 Black 5 speed 1.8t Quattro, I instantly fell in love with the car... funny thing is the only reason i bought it was because there aren't very many other options for a small little awd turbo sedan for less then 5 grand... After purchasing i realized it was far from a sports car (stock atleast) but came to love just how the car drove, it was amazing, since that car had a laundry list of issues including all 4 windows and sun roof not working, beat to crap body, interior, and salvage title, with no stereo, i was quick to sell it, i wanted another 1.8t but with only 2500 cant exactly be all picky, so i settled on a pretty clean 96 12v 5 speed quattro, it was black and actually in amazing condition for having 185k on the odom when i bought it... it was just a temp daily till i graduated school. No motor mods or anything except i did a TON of maintenance, mainly preventative maintenance, ended up picking up a cheap set of 18x8.5 RS4 and a pair of 99 face-lift tails, other than that she stayed stock and just was driven to and from school, 10 hours of driving minimum a week and that car didnt give me 1 single issue, truly proved audis build quality and earned my trust... and it was sooooo god damn smoooooth EVEN on 225/45Rs with blown shocks lol (dont worry that pic v was first day i got it lol, those hideous square fogs were ripped off that same day...)

After i graduated from school i got some money from family and used it along with money i had saved to pick up the car i have been wanting for way too long, an 01 avant! (sorry for ****ty iPhone/ night time pic, just got it yesterday night!)

She is an 01 Avant, Hibiscus, sport-line, 5 speed quattro, 118k on the odom and i am ecstatic i found it!

Since owning it i have installed an OEM S4 grill, OEM S4 shift knob (had a god damn egg on it when i bought it) and ordered a fully Electric Stepper Motor Podi boost gauge kit, some floor matts, along with an ebay SS...

Once i am all caught up on maintenance i plan on doing a k04 build.. nothing crazy, it is only temporary while i peace together a t3 2.0 build.. but hear are my plans so far, let me know if you have any insight on some of the parts i am using, i love any information i can get!

Engine
      -Unitronic stage 2+ tune
      -386cc Bosch injectors
      -TT225 MAF housing
      -FrankTurbo kit w/ manifold
      -k&n filter bolted directly to MAF
      -custom heat shield
      -Bosch 3 bar fpr
      -034 Motorsports 3" cat back
      -034 3" Cat delete
      -Forge 007 DV
      -All OEM timing belt kit + gates belt
      -intake mani spacer (large port to small port)
      -Fully mirror polished AEB intake manifold

Suspension and Chassis
      -034 billet motor mounts
      -JHM solid short shifter kit with solid linkage ect ect...
      -034 Density line control arms kit, front and back
      -034 19mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar Kit
      -034 billet rear cross member
      -034 Poly rear diff mount
      -Snub mount w/ bracket
      -034 track density sub frame mounts front and rear
      -034 track density transmission mount
      -JHM drive train stabilizer
      -NEUSPEED Front Anti-Sway Bar
      -Tein Super Street Coilovers

Brakes
      -still putting together what i want to do.

let me know what you guys think thanks!!!
      Last edited by Audiquattro337; 09-06-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Vehicles
      LG9R GTI , '57 Ford Thunderbird
      08-17-2012 09:19 AM #2
      The motor build is pretty similar to what I'll be doing. Mine, however, will be on the bottle.
      GRIP | SQUARED | WOOKIE

Buy My Wheels

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 02:42 PM #3
      Nice! how big of a shot? i might just go that route but i would atleast wanna put big port heads on along with rods/pistons in before hand, and at that point since its all tore apart i would want to have the crank balanced and buy all eurospec hardware drop the cr blahhh blahh blahh, so im saving that for my big boy build which will happen in the next year or so hopefully, i actually am in the process of getting my cali advanced smog license, already have about 9 certs in electronic diag and engine repair, and a few that ca requires like basic clear air car, and advance clear air car. Didn't get this license to just work at a smog test and repair or just smog cars, but it's actually really really loved by dealers, so i have my fingers crossed i can find a semi close audi dealer to be working in, i have a buddy who graduated about a month before me, just got a job last week at some mini dealer outside of LA, started at 21 an hour

Vehicles
      LG9R GTI , '57 Ford Thunderbird
      08-17-2012 06:43 PM #4
      The plan is to do rods and hone the cylinders and run a 100 shot of nitrous that activates at WOT. I can only think of one other person that has run nitrous on a B5.
      GRIP | SQUARED | WOOKIE

Buy My Wheels

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 08:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ChampagneA4 View Post
      The plan is to do rods and hone the cylinders and run a 100 shot of nitrous that activates at WOT. I can only think of one other person that has run nitrous on a B5.
      Nice nice I've thought about it, it's amazing stuff, maybe when I go bt and 500 awhp gets to be not quite as exciting ill add a 150 shot or so, make sure you run it to each individual cylinder like injectors

Vehicles
      98 a4 1.8tqm
      08-17-2012 08:31 PM #6
      good luck with 500whp

clean car tho. love that color

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 08:33 PM #7
      Lol, no luck needed when you know what your doing, thanks though, I love it awsell, cant wait to put some wheels on it and s4 front bumper, will be lovely

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 10:57 PM #8
      update... AC stopped blowing air today, and when i turn it on the digital fan speed display gos from full speed to low speed back and forth back and forth? I am guessing this is maybe an indication of some kind of specific problem? Similar to how Blinkers blink fast when one of your bulbs go's out maybe? Not sure lol my first face-lift a4 >.< i am thinking maybe blower motor or fan or something related to those systems?

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 01:09 AM #9
      well i just pulled the blower motor, and its not seized... any ideas?

Vehicles
      08-19-2012 07:03 PM #10
      Well my ac blower motor keeps blowing the fuse, any ideas where to start checking?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      08-21-2012 06:56 PM #11
      Check the wiring, fuses usually blow if wires are being crossed or something is getting too much voltage. I'd check the wiring along the fans and going to the a/c compressor, just mainly check to see if any of the wiring is exposed. Hope you'll find the problem, i know how it is to narrow down problems relating to the A/c lol.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 12:27 AM #12
      appreciate the help! and yep that's all i have been doing so far, i am actually thinking its the motor, or the resistor part of the motor... if i keep it on medium fan speed it doesn't blow, its been 2 days and its hasn't burnt a fuse yet, i haven't wanted to put it on high, haven't needed to either, even though its been like 95+ degrees and humid as **** here in SoCal lately. The ac in these cars blows ice cubes, its amazing.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 12:34 AM #13
      in other news... i think i either need control arms, trans mount, snub mount or maybe diff mount, or any random combo of those ... car drives really smooth but i can feel the trans shifting, clunking sometimes, and shifts into first kinda rough some times... if i get down there and just move **** around i should be able to see if my diff mounts/trans mounts/control arms are good right? for example if i had a bad control arm would it have play in it?

Vehicles
      09-06-2012 03:23 PM #14
      Engine bay when i brought it home... so dirty. Gonna install the K&N filter/clean that area of the engine bay.
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ghetto temp heat shield, zip tie skillz

K&N SAI filter, same one from the DIY.... Also this was when i saw the damage to the frame post or whatever its called, ****ty but oh well, it only affects how the core support sits correct? front end looks flush as can be.

Filter installed, fits really really well, wedges in there just ever so slightly, enough to hold it in place, no need for a bracket or anything.

Cut out the bottom of the ducting that leads to the air box, hard to see in pic.

And here it is all buttoned up.

Overall for 51 dollars including an oil filter (i get a discount @ k&n, if anyone needs anything lmk) it was a good little mod, that was easy to do, my car is 100% stock other then this and i can actually hear the engine now, turbo is a little louder, diverter valve is alot louder, and the SAI pump makes a swooshing sound, which is annoying as hell, i think im gonna try and tuck the line with the 1" filter for the sai somewhere with more airflow to muffle the sound, its so annoying... makes me wanna delete it Also having my MAF be easy to get at was another reason for this mod. just for the sound alone i highly recommend it. Eventually gonna order a heat shield from blinktekdesign.com, really clean and simple when combined with this filter.

Annnnnd time to install this...

which leads to this...

along the way i got a pleasant surprise... its even wired in and stuff...

and now i have this!

Gauge is amazing, pictures hardly do justice for how good the lights match the cluster at night, i chose to pay the extra 50 and get the stepper motor one and i am so glad i did, its such a smooth gauge, and its fancy looking Install was easy as pie, especially since there was actually a hole in the firewall for ONCE... being that this is my first DBW b5, i have installed 3 sound systems in different b5s, all AEBs, which where drive by cable, so it was an absolute pain in the a$$ to get through the fire wall. thank you audi for leaving the hole there

Going to finish installing my wood grain, detail my interior, and post pics.

Vehicles
      09-06-2012 04:39 PM #15
      way to hot outside to detail my car, but took some pics..

here are some before and after pictures, walnut wood grain vs metal crap idk what its called.

Before...

Someone decided to find it necessary to cut the middle support on the frame peace that holds the stereo and climate control unit.. resulting in nothing clipping in or being mounted solid... That was a big pain in the ass to replace, and i waited to get my wood grain to install that... glad i did because everything looks amazing with the walnut + flush center console lol.

and after

I really want 2 s4 door cards, with the black leather 2 peace door card insert + black grab handle for my front doors, i have them on my back doors, so clean and there's some cushion under the s4 door card inserts, unlike any in the a4s.. >.<

Hahahha my interior reminds me of this picture...
      Last edited by Audiquattro337; 09-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 A4 Avant
      09-28-2012 09:03 PM #16
      Nice progress man I love your car, probably my favorite color too. Are you planning on doing a full tan-to-black interior swap? Your progress looks like mine haha, I had the same interior colors as you, got wood trim, black door cards, then black seats. Keep up the good work

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 04:12 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by CactusAvant View Post
      Nice progress man I love your car, probably my favorite color too. Are you planning on doing a full tan-to-black interior swap? Your progress looks like mine haha, I had the same interior colors as you, got wood trim, black door cards, then black seats. Keep up the good work
      thanks mang, i love the color as well though some days i admit i wish i had black or white. I think in the end though when i get this one done (exterior wise) it will be growing on me more, as of right now i blame the stock ride height + fish bowl...

I am going back and fourth, i some days love the vanilla, but i miss my all black interior. Plus i hate my seats being none power. Sooo i will probably get black S4 seats. If i do, i am not sure if i want to keep the stock leather, or have it rewrapped in the same suede audi uses on the RS4 Shift boot, Shift knob, and some steering wheels. I am sure your familiar with the material i think its called alcantara? I am thinking of adding alot more side support so they hold me well, along with a complete rewrap in the black alcantara. After that i would do the door cards, center console arm-wrest lid, A B C pillars and roof. It's still up in the air, but unless i find an absolutely MINT pair of s4 seats, i think thats the route i wanna go.