Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Signal boosters?

08-17-2012 11:34 AM #1
      Wife and I are mid-contract with AT&T but get horrible reception at home. So much so we had to go back from our wireless-only lifestyle to getting a landline at home. Granted, we both have iPhones (3GS and a 4) which were never known for their strong radio hardware to begin with. I've been getting emails lately from Solid Signal for discounts on their signal boosters and I'm wondering if anybody has had enough luck with these that they'd recommend one.

I don't want to mess with breaking a contract and porting 2 numbers to a new carrier, on top of likely having to buy new phones, so that's off the table.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      '11 BMW E90d
      08-17-2012 06:30 PM #2
      Get an AT&T MicroCell for your house.

Vehicles
      One for each need
      08-19-2012 05:07 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by zerotosixty View Post
      Get an AT&T MicroCell for your house.
      This. I've been using one since they came out and they're fantastic. Wife and I got OK reception anyway, but I'm a 5 bars kinda person.

08-23-2012 10:44 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      I don't want to mess with breaking a contract and porting 2 numbers to a new carrier, on top of likely having to buy new phones, so that's off the table.
      Although I see this, it's worth pointing out that T-Mobile's solution is to provide the ability to do WiFi calling on the majority of their smartphones. For example, if you have a basement with no cell signal, but you do have high speed internet and WiFi that provides signal there your phone can do all it's standard communication (data, messaging, phone calls) over WiFi. My wife's prepaid Samsung does it seemlessly at our house. It's basically fully automated if you have WiFi calling enabled. Any time you are connected to WiFi it determines if the signal is good enough and enables WiFi calling. No need for a MicroCell or anything special. It appears to be an android-only feature however, so even though you can technically run iPhones on T-Mo's network (at reduced speeds) as generic prepaid smartphones, that still isn't going to help you in this situation.