Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: need to make decision

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-17-2012 01:47 PM #1
      I need to get some top end power in my TT, but im going to be keeping the KO4 for awhile.

I got apr stage 1, TIP, TFSI coils, 3" downpipe to cutoff actuator(straight piped).

Im stuck whether between a meth kit, E85 conversion or finish my stroker engine.
      (have supertech package, AEB head, oem lifters)

Just want to know what would be a good pick so i can start beating at least a 09 civic Si at least this year
      Last edited by jedge1.8t; 08-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
      Tell me how my 01 Audi TT (with a smaller stock engine, and heavier curb weight) walks a 02 WRX wagon...?

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-17-2012 02:05 PM #2
      Wow, those are three distinctively different paths

Throw some water/meth on and get that thing dialed in. If you want a simple setup, just use a throttle body spacer. If you want an awesome setup, use 4 nozzles tapped into your intake manifold (See the Water/Meth FAQ for details)

Then get it dialed! Good tuning is a huge factor in making power. It's not all about what hardware you have installed.

In the background, keep working on your new engine. Sounds awesome.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-17-2012 04:07 PM #3
      meth kit, downpipe and cutout install and custom CAI intake i guess are next on the to do list.

I feel I should get rid of my APR ECU, im not really liking it. I want to run lemmiworks or something more hands on so i can adjust like eurodyne

I wish this stuff was cheaper...
      Tell me how my 01 Audi TT (with a smaller stock engine, and heavier curb weight) walks a 02 WRX wagon...?

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-17-2012 04:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jedge1.8t View Post
      meth kit, downpipe and cutout install and custom CAI intake i guess are next on the to do list.

I feel I should get rid of my APR ECU, im not really liking it. I want to run lemmiworks or something more hands on so i can adjust like eurodyne

I wish this stuff was cheaper...
      Go try Uni Settings. See if it'll read your ECU.
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-17-2012 06:17 PM #5
      UNITRONICS will read my ECU, but i have the narrowband, wouldn't the wideband be a better ECU to tune with?

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-17-2012 06:25 PM #6
      UNITRONICS will read my ECU, but i have the narrowband, wouldn't the wideband be a better ECU to tune with?
      It would...but you just added a lot more money to your project. I thought you wanted to keep the cost down on this.

..but ok, since you bought it up.

I'd go to raceline, get a narrowband to wideband harness. Then get them to tune it with Uni Stg2

While you're waiting for that upgrade your exhaust (including downpipe), intercooler, DV, and TIP. Fix any other issues and make sure your car is running perfect.

Install the harness, swap in a new front wideband o2 sensor, install the ECU, and ensure the car is driving great. Be happy with this for a week or so to make sure everything is gravy.

Then install the meth kit. Do direct port if you want to push it hard. Do a single post-TB sprayer if you don't want as much hassle.

Then tune the hell out of it to maximize power.
      My Build

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-17-2012 06:47 PM #7
      yeah looks like ill grab a wideband ECU conversion, then probably eurodynes kit with meth, software and boost manager. should be 1600 approx.

the way i look at it - about 32 bucks per horse power.

and then i want pss9s..... and FSI stroker... and gtx45.... and caractere kit... should of bought a ol skool

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-17-2012 07:15 PM #8
      yeah looks like ill grab a wideband ECU conversion, then probably eurodynes kit with meth, software and boost manager. should be 1600 approx.

the way i look at it - about 32 bucks per horse power.

and then i want pss9s..... and FSI stroker... and gtx45.... and caractere kit... should of bought a ol skool
      Good stuff.
      My Build

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-17-2012 07:33 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      It would...but you just added a lot more money to your project. I thought you wanted to keep the cost down on this.

..but ok, since you bought it up.

I'd go to raceline, get a narrowband to wideband harness. Then get them to tune it with Uni Stg2

While you're waiting for that upgrade your exhaust (including downpipe), intercooler, DV, and TIP. Fix any other issues and make sure your car is running perfect.

Install the harness, swap in a new front wideband o2 sensor, install the ECU, and ensure the car is driving great. Be happy with this for a week or so to make sure everything is gravy.

Then install the meth kit. Do direct port if you want to push it hard. Do a single post-TB sprayer if you don't want as much hassle.

Then tune the hell out of it to maximize power.
      good advice here
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI 1.8t project and B3 vr passat wagon
      08-17-2012 08:33 PM #10
      instead of fillin your gas tank with premium fuel and keeping an eye on the w/m tank you could also just go e85 if its available... its like running 100 octane fuel. of course you would need a tune and injectors at a minimum. you should be able to run more boost and timing with that. and if you have a ko4 in there you should have absolutely no problem leaving a stock civic si in the dust, even with a regular old ko4 file.

In my opinion w/m is great if you dont live near an e85 pump or dont want to pay ridiculous prices for race gas ($9+ a gallon for the cheap stuff)
      Last edited by MKIII_96; 08-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-17-2012 08:41 PM #11
      And easy access to e85
      My Build

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-18-2012 01:19 AM #12
      E85 is 3 miles from nearest pump, but i really like the fact i can pass smog no issues and have race gas.

I like the METH and Eurodyne route which is the one i will probably take, but this will give me opportunitys in the future for more power

And then theres this stroker I have pretty much the top end done, Supertech, AEB head, OEM lifters.I really wanna just slap that baby on, and see if a high revving AEB head will give my KO4 top end i been looking for.

but i know a 2.0 stroker would be worth the patience.

As of now i got a downpipe and switch path pipe to install and a wideband ME7 w/ harness to find

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 01:24 AM #13
      E85 is 3 miles from nearest pump, but i really like the fact i can pass smog no issues and have race gas.

I like the METH and Eurodyne route which is the one i will probably take, but this will give me opportunitys in the future for more power

And then theres this stroker I have pretty much the top end done, Supertech, AEB head, OEM lifters.I really wanna just slap that baby on, and see if a high revving AEB head will give my KO4 top end i been looking for.

but i know a 2.0 stroker would be worth the patience.

As of now i got a downpipe and switch path pipe to install and a wideband ME7 w/ harness to find
      2.0l will make your k04 run out of steam faster. you need a larger turbo if you are looking for top end. you wont be doing any high revving with a k04, not efficiently anyways
      Last edited by Big_Tom; 08-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-18-2012 01:35 AM #14
      darn.

gtx45, ha who wants to sell me one cheap????

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 01:43 AM #15
      darn.

gtx45, ha who wants to sell me one cheap????
      start with something like a gt3071r

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-18-2012 04:06 AM #16
      70mm, ha im a longgg longgg ways away from getting any GT turbo. goal right now is to hang with my friends track Z with bolt ons then I will BT

Cause its an Audi.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 11:27 AM #17
      put on a F23 franketurbo kit. get a fmic setup, 3 full 3" exhaust, get the unitronic frankturbo tune and be happy. save the aeb stuff for later

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-18-2012 12:41 PM #18
      I love the F23, but since i have a stroker top half done, i dont see why i should hesitate my plans on it to get a quick push, i want a big shuv. already got the 3" Downpipe, and i got a cutoff that will switch it out to straight pipe behind my passenger wheel with a flip of a switch. Still need it fabbed up and installed though.

right now im focused on all the little bolt ons that will maximize a BT and stroker, while benefiting stock

FMIC might come first actually since i spotted a few for around 400

but after that it will be the ME7.5 wideband, meth and boost manager kit from eurodyne - 1600

Cause its an Audi.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta 1.8t GLS, 03 Jetta 2.0 GL
      08-18-2012 04:56 PM #19
      If you have Apr you can have whoever flashed it add V-tune. It's a free addition that Apr has where you can modify the program within reason. That's how I plan on doing my e85 tuning and be able to run 91 as well.

http://www.goapr.com/products/vtune.html

It's kinda cool there are some stuff worth messing with once you go meth or e85. And it says your in rocklin as in rocklin ca as in by roseville? If you I work at valley motorwerks in rancho cordova you should come by and take a look at the intercooler
      EüröFreäkZ

Valley Motorwerks the Sacramento area Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, and Mini dealer alternative

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-18-2012 11:23 PM #20
      APR is kinda stuck on there products, nothing wrong with them but once you wanna go Big BIG turbo, i dont think there much help

I do though in fac tlive in CA, roseville

and good stuff, ill have to stop by when im at those wrecking yards.

Cause its an Audi.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta 1.8t GLS, 03 Jetta 2.0 GL
      08-19-2012 01:10 PM #21
      Yeah I'm not that big of a fan of Apr either but let's just say I got it for a really really good deal. But yeah come stop by were on white rock right off sunrise. We mostly do BMW mini but were just getting into Vw Audi. Actually that's why I'm there.
      EüröFreäkZ

Valley Motorwerks the Sacramento area Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, and Mini dealer alternative

Vehicles
      2001 TTQ 225
      08-19-2012 01:32 PM #22
      pff lucky, if they need any more VW audi guys let me know, I got the 1.8t and vr6, 2.7t engines on lock.

Cause its an Audi.