Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ocular Migrane. WTF?

08-17-2012 07:00 PM #1
      I haven't had a headache since I quit smoking in 1988. I didn't have one today. I had an ocular migraine. I didn't know what was happening to me. I saw a colorful spot, like colors of a prism. It grew larger and larger and became a circle and then a "C" shape and literally blocked my vision. It came on and only lasted for about 15 minutes. What the hell do you do if you're driving at the time????????

I describe the symptoms and one of my employees says that's what he sees when he's about to get a migraine headache. I called my wife and she rushed over to pick me up and take me to the hospital. After 3 hours they cut me loose.

Scared the crap out of me. Anybody else experience this?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      01 TTQ 91Gsexty
      08-17-2012 07:11 PM #2
      You are old. That is all.

but seriously, were you hydrated today? Hope it don't happen again

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1982 Caddy
      08-17-2012 07:16 PM #3
      Yep had those. First one was while driving, luckily a buddy could take the wheel. It has happened twice to me in 10 years, and is so slow at onset that it's easy to recognize and pull over if driving.
      Negative scene points

4. Member
      08-17-2012 08:12 PM #4
      I had one for the first and only time about a month ago. Scared the poop out of me, at first I thought my retina was detaching, then I thought I was going to stroke out.

It started at night on my back porch. I kept seeing this light in the peripheral vision of my left eye, but everytime I would turn that way it would disappear. I finally realized that there was a porch light on my right, that I was seeing out of my left eye! As I would turn my head more to the right, the light would move across my field of vision.

That went away in about 4 minutes, and I had that same C shape you described. Everything in the C was scinitillating and out of focus. It started in my left eye and lasted about 10 minutes, then moved over to the right eye and lasted 7 or 8 minutes.

I called my doc the next morning - after Googling and realizing what I had experienced - and he said not to worry about it. Basically, it's a migraine without the pain.

08-17-2012 08:19 PM #5
      They even thought I was having some type of diabetic problem, but my sugar was 78. I wasn't dehydrated, either. My BP was 155/93, not too bad for an old guy in a hospital setting. Everything else was normal.

It was a scary experience. It came on pretty suddenly with me, or I just never noticed it until it was actually blocking my vision. The distraction alone was enough to pull over if I could.

Yes, the first thought that passed was "stroke".
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      VW GTI
      08-17-2012 08:49 PM #6
      Not fun. But far more enjoyable then the headache portion of the program. At least you didn't descend into a migraine headache.

I've even had trouble speaking during the "aura" portion of a migraine headache, which is basically the prelude to the headache, which is what you experienced. My sense of smell gets wacky, everything gets very bright, in addition to the visual weirdness. A very unusual feeling and if you've never had one before you'd surely think something was seriously wrong with your brain.

Not sure if ocular migraines are set off in the same way migraine headaches are but you might do some research to see if they are triggered the same way. Flashing lights, 60 cycle light flicker, bright TV's, certain foods, weather changes, stress - it can take a while to identify what causes them.

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      08-17-2012 11:04 PM #7
      sort of, in high school I'd start to see spots/colors and when I did I knew it was coming. never blocked my vision but the spots lead to stomach ache, puking and a vicious headache.

I learned at the onset of the spots to go home and crawl into bed and go to sleep, that pretty much ended the cycle for the rest of the symptoms that would follow if I didn't.

Migraines suck, strange as it is though once past HS I, knock wood, have not had one since.

There are migraine meds now that can be taken once the initial symptoms present to reduce/eliminate them if you take it soon enough.

Vehicles
      2008.5 GTI w/TSI motor, 1995 GTI Vr6
      08-18-2012 12:26 AM #8
      My dad gets like one of these a year.. comes on quick, has bright spots, and a spot that gets blurry, and a sharp headache to go with it
      Check out my Garage build thread 2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turbo back, Carbonio full intake, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), 19" Miro stp3's, Centric rotors, Stoptech pads and TyrolSport bushings

9. Banned
      08-18-2012 02:01 AM #9
      Do you suffer from hypertension? What is your sodium intake like?

08-18-2012 02:40 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      Do you suffer from hypertension? What is your sodium intake like?
      Nope, and average, I'd say.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

08-18-2012 06:29 AM #11
      Seems to happens to me once a year...I think it's related to my sinuses as the killer headache I get is just above my eye...
      Mamma Mia

"Leased not bought"

Flickr

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      08-18-2012 07:37 AM #12
      Barry,

Do you have a history of migraines? Did you also feel nauseous? Did you have a crushing headache after?

Unfortunately, they still don't know a lot about migraines. They've made significant strides, but there is still a lot they don't know. I suffered w/ migraines for years, but rarely the ocular type. I think I've only had 2 or 3 of those in my entire life, out of literally a couple hundred migraines. Thankfully, as I've gotten older, the frequency has dropped way off. I think I've only 1 or 2 over the last couple of years.

08-18-2012 07:46 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      Barry,

Do you have a history of migraines? Did you also feel nauseous? Did you have a crushing headache after?

Unfortunately, they still don't know a lot about migraines. They've made significant strides, but there is still a lot they don't know. I suffered w/ migraines for years, but rarely the ocular type. I think I've only had 2 or 3 of those in my entire life, out of literally a couple hundred migraines. Thankfully, as I've gotten older, the frequency has dropped way off. I think I've only 1 or 2 over the last couple of years.
      No, as I stated in the OP I haven't had a headache since I quit smoking nearly 25 years ago. I've never had a migraine. No headache. No nausea, just some dizziness and lethargy.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      08-18-2012 08:01 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      No, as I stated in the OP I haven't had a headache since I quit smoking nearly 25 years ago. I've never had a migraine. No headache. No nausea, just some dizziness and lethargy.
      Consider yourself lucky. Hopefully it wasn't a symptom of some other issue.

Vehicles
      1990 20v Corrado(soon), 2001 Outback 250k strong!
      08-18-2012 08:16 AM #15
      You weren't looking at the Juggalettes/Juggalos threads were you?
      Women are gentle and soft, but they hit things...

20v AEB Corrado Build thread.
      Parting a B4 ABA Passat?

08-18-2012 08:21 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by turtledub View Post
      You weren't looking at the Juggalettes/Juggalos threads were you?
      I didn't until you said something. Now I wish I hadn't.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

08-18-2012 11:05 AM #17
      Don't worry, the frequency of migraines lessen as you get older. Totally random - meaning there was no pattern of food consumption, activities or stress levels. Mine started when I was in my early 20's with 5 or 6 per year then, to now, that I'm early 60's with 1 + per year. They are less severe, shorter in duration but the heavy one sided headache lingers for half a day. They are hard to handle when you are a professional driver. (Never once mentioned to potential employers about this problem but I have seen this question asked on pre employment questionaires).

It's astounding what effect this condition has on the body...hard to explain to someone who has never had a migraine attack.

Migraine suffers unite...quietly - and in the dark.
      1995 Flash Red GTI 2.8 -<< Not Bagged! - only OEM+ >> I will never be cool like the other kids.
      My new dd is a '10 PWagon - not cool either

08-18-2012 11:07 AM #18
      Luckily, I seem to be suffering no after-affects. I think the stress of being part of the slow flow of the hospital was more of a problem than the ocular migraine.

Part of the problem was the 22 days my wife spent in the hospital almost two years ago. I never want to be in a place like that again. No place for a sick person.
      Last edited by barry2952; 08-18-2012 at 11:09 AM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      08-18-2012 11:15 AM #19
      I get them. Got my first one in 6th grade. I had no idea what was going on and it was near the end of the day so I just let it go. My dad picked me up and said I looked really pale and asked if I was alright. I told him about it and he said "oh, sounds like you had an occular migraine. Let's get you home". He gets them too. Got home, popped some ibuprofen, took a nap, and was fine. I had a decent amount over the next few months. Then none for a few years. Then a few in high school. Then like 1 or 2 through college. Then I had 2 back to back a few months before my wedding. That seems to happen more now...back to back. I get one at night or something, make it go away and then the next morning I get one first thing

I know the warning signs so I've gotten good at popping 3-4 ibuprofen when they start but man, they are pretty dang painful. Light and noise sensitive migraines and my head will just feel sore after the migraine itself is gone. I went to a neurologist and he wasn't concerned. Gave me some samples of some meds to try when the visual stuff starts, and it helped for sure...migraine wasn't as bad. But it didn't get rid of it. Still had to come home from work early. And driving with that migraine sucked.

Not sure how hereditary this stuff is. My dad will get the ocular migraines, my mom gets regular migraines a decent bit too. I'll tell you what's really freaky though...before the vision things start sometimes, I've had basically a numb sensation move through my body. It will start like at my toes, move to my foot, leg, and then through my arm and usually end at my fingers. Its like one little numb spot just moving around. Then I get the vision blocking stuff happen. Scared the ever living crap out me the first time it happened.
      Last edited by Rockerchick; 08-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      08-18-2012 12:14 PM #20
      Migraine with aura. Tell your PCP, he can give you imitrex.
      TCL pearl #452: You cannot name a car that would not be improved with a LSx engine.

335- 12.2@115

08-18-2012 04:08 PM #21
      No pain. Just the aura.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      08-18-2012 04:15 PM #22
      sounds more like a cluster headache than a migraine to me. we have different treatments for those clinically, depending on the whole picture.
      function
      form

08-18-2012 04:20 PM #23
      No headache, no pain, no meds.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      08-18-2012 04:35 PM #24
      No headache, no pain, no meds.
      Migrane mostly happens with women. Did you have a sex change recently?

08-18-2012 04:38 PM #25
      Just the frequency.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      08-18-2012 04:42 PM #26
      I didn't until you said something. Now I wish I hadn't.

Wait, is that a midget juggalette?
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 10:23 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      Migraine with aura. Tell your PCP, he can give you imitrex.
      Imitrex doesn't work in all migraine cases. For my cousins, it was a miracle drug. For me, it made me violently nauseous.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Migrane mostly happens with women. Did you have a sex change recently?
      Are there data that actually support that? I've known several people, of both sexes, that suffer from migraines. No scientific study, but my anecdotal experience doesn't indicate that one sex experiences them any more than the other.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 10:39 PM #28
      Are there data that actually support that? I've known several people, of both sexes, that suffer from migraines. No scientific study, but my anecdotal experience doesn't indicate that one sex experiences them any more than the other.
      Sure. It's 3:1. Google will point you to countless articles about it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0806094703.htm

For every man with a migraine, three women are struck by the severe headaches that often come with nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and aura. That means a staggering 18 to 25 percent of women suffer from migraines, making it one of the most common disabling conditions faced by women around the globe.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 10:45 PM #29
      Just the frequency.
      So your brain exploded from a "divide by zero" exception?

If that happened to me, I'd freak out thinking I was having a stroke. My dad had an irregular heartbeat and refused to take any stroke-mitigation medicine. Not even baby aspirin. He developed Alzheimers and the conjecture is that it was actually a bunch of mini-strokes. That is not the way I want to go.

Vehicles
      1996 Saab 9000 CSE
      08-18-2012 10:53 PM #30
      I've gotten these before after playing floor hockey or exercising really hard and being just completely exhausted. I'll get the different colors that distort my vision and create an almost prizm of colors. I suffer from migraines normally too.

It scared me at first because I never see colors like this prior, during, or after a migraine. Only very quick small spots occasionally.

I'll just get a bad migraine afterwards, take some medicine, and go to bed. I'm usually okay afterwards.

08-18-2012 11:10 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      So your brain exploded from a "divide by zero" exception?

If that happened to me, I'd freak out thinking I was having a stroke..
      Yes, and I did. My first thought.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      08-19-2012 09:00 AM #32
      I've had these fairly frequently over the last 15 years or so. Never any accompanying headache. Some of them have been brought on directly by stress, but not always.
      Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      08-19-2012 01:05 PM #33
      I started getting these in my early 20's, then I had a pulmonary embolism this year. I wonder if they're connected? Clotting disorder maybe? I'm on enough blood thinners now that's for sure.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      08-20-2012 12:23 PM #34
      I had a bunch of these when I was around 15 years old. I remember I was bagging groceries for work then this little white patch formed with prism like edges which grew over a few minutes until it took over my whole field of vision. I couldn't see the belt of groceries in front of me, it freaked me out. It happened about 6 or so times. I got the ocular migraine diagnosis, i never had an actual migraine.

Since it happened several times it freaked me out and we had a CAT scan done, everything came back perfectly normal. I wasn't on any medications or anything like that. Since then I don't believe I've had one since I was 16. Occasionally I'll see a random patch in my vision and think I'm getting another one but it disappears.

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      08-20-2012 01:01 PM #35
      Imitrex doesn't work in all migraine cases. For my cousins, it was a miracle drug. For me, it made me violently nauseous.
      Imitrex is a life saver for me but it also leaves me nauseous and with a weird tingling/tension feeling in my shoulders and neck...but SO worth the side effects when I get a bad one. If I get a bad one, it's take Imitrex and lie down in a COLD DARK QUIET room for an hour.

OP, this sounds just like my "regular" migraines but without the pain and sensitivity to light and sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast