Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New car, to me, 2006 GLI need some technical advice

Vehicles
      2006 GLI
      08-17-2012 09:22 PM #1
      Hi all,

I bought a 2006 GLI back in May. Pacakge #2, 73500 miles when I bought it. It was not Certified, but had a 3K dealer warranty, paid 12K out the door. It's very clean, and seemed to run great at the time,

I'm having a problem still, and need some advice on where to start looking myself, or at least a start to argue with the dealer about, first the history:

From day one, whenever i accelerate hard i pretty big cloud of white-ish smoke , I'm talking over 4500 RPMS or so, if I don't accelerate hard, the car is fine, no smoke, runs perfect.

1 In about 1300 miles it used 4 quarts of oil, took it to the dealer and they replaced the valve cover gasket, camshaft, cam follower and high pressure fuel pump.

2. Still used 3.5 quarts in the next 1K miles, back to the dealer and they replaced the turbo drain pipe between the turbo and intercooler saying it was clogged. Up until this repair the CEL would blink yellow when the car smoked, under hard acceleration.

3. Still used 3 quarts of oil in another 1K or so, took it back again and they did a compression test,
      and replaced the turbo charger and exhaust manifold with a rebuilt, 12K warranty. I'm not sure if the diverter valve was replaced, I'm trying to find that out the dealer is an hour away and it's next to impossible for me to make calls during the day (I work in a call center, no cells out of your pocket)

NOW, the oil consumption has pretty much stopped, in 300 miles or so I noticed no consumption, BUT I have a new problem, sort of. The day after I picked up the car, when pulling out into traffic I took off pretty quick, there was a weird 'clattering sound' and a cloud of white smoke again. NOW intermittently, when I accelerate hard I seem to get a 'drop' in power that returns to normal when I shift or ease off the gas (it's a 6 speed manual). NO CEL or any other lights, and it doesn't happen every time.

I've skimmed the forums for the past few days, and I am going to be taking the car back to the dealer, I would just like some ideas......fire away! And thanks.

Vehicles
      08 FSI GTI
      08-17-2012 10:25 PM #2
      Possible fuel cuts, when you feel this "drop" in power.

Sounds like you have a headache on your hands. Sorry bud, last owner did not take care of that car!

Vehicles
      91 MK2 VR6 GOLF 97 VOLVO 850 Wagon
      08-18-2012 12:56 AM #3
      I re-ringed an EOS for oil-consumption. if you did not have a seal leaking, either on the piston or valve stem-seal(s) or even possibly the guide then where else could it go? the only other places would be valve cover-gasket, oil pan gasket, etc... any gasket that sees engine oil pressure could be suspect. i wouldn't rule out the turbo since it sees oil pressure, but 3.5 qts to 4 qts is quite a bit of oil to lose.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI
      08-18-2012 04:39 AM #4
      The oil consumption has been resolved by the new turbo, as I stated above.

"NOW, the oil consumption has pretty much stopped, in 300 miles or so I noticed no consumption, BUT I have a new problem, sort of. The day after I picked up the car, when pulling out into traffic I took off pretty quick, there was a weird 'clattering sound' and a cloud of white smoke again. NOW intermittently, when I accelerate hard I seem to get a 'drop' in power that returns to normal when I shift or ease off the gas (it's a 6 speed manual). NO CEL or any other lights, and it doesn't happen every time."

This is the last remaining problem, and I'm thinking it's the diverter, again I'm not sure if a new diverter came with the rebuilt turbo, I'll find out next week.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI
      08-18-2012 04:42 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
      Possible fuel cuts, when you feel this "drop" in power.

Sounds like you have a headache on your hands. Sorry bud, last owner did not take care of that car!
      I thought that might be possible, however, this 'cut out' is a NEW issue since the new turbo has been put on, it didn't do this before the turbo was swapped. The old turbo was dumping oil into the exhaust, which caused the consumption. They told me the exhaust system was fine though, no damage.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03 passat 1.8, 06 jetta 2.0t, 14 tiguan se awd
      08-18-2012 11:03 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by njbongo View Post
      I thought that might be possible, however, this 'cut out' is a NEW issue since the new turbo has been put on, it didn't do this before the turbo was swapped. The old turbo was dumping oil into the exhaust, which caused the consumption. They told me the exhaust system was fine though, no damage.
      ross tech has a very good forum on problems but you need a valid scan to participate. don't know where in jersey you are but there should be someone near to help. check the vag-com forum. i live in northern dutchess county and it's a haul from jersey but i do have a valid ross tech.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI
      08-18-2012 01:47 PM #7
      Appreciate the offer, I should have updated my profile before the post, I'm actually in Michigan now I've been one here for a while but haven't posted in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gmikel View Post
      ross tech has a very good forum on problems but you need a valid scan to participate. don't know where in jersey you are but there should be someone near to help. check the vag-com forum. i live in northern dutchess county and it's a haul from jersey but i do have a valid ross tech.