Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 92fs vs 226 my impressions after todays range trip

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      08-17-2012 11:02 PM #1
      Sig was a great gun. If I did not own a 92FS I would have loved it even more. I pull everything down and left. Not as much with my brothers 1911, but with any other gun, that is where I shoot. I know its me, just have not had enough constant range time to fix it. I only shoot once or twice a month.

My 92fs was flawless as usual. Shot everything through it. Steel tula, steel EPX or something. Winchester Value Pack. All 115 FMJ this time. Only problem as usual is one of my cheapo mags will not fire the last round. Take it out thinking I am dry, and its still there. Slap it back in and it chambers and fires. Not sure why, but 1 of 6 mags does it every time. 226 would not cycle the first out of one of his mags. Other than that, both shot 100% flawless. He has only 2 sig mags though, both my beretta mags are always flawless.

226 felt much more top heavy than my 92 which I guess it should be. Its got a full steel slide vs the 92's open slide. Recoil was about the same but I give the softness edge to my 92. I guess its just the fact that it has 1/2 the weight of a normal slide that its a softer recoil. When it hits the back, its not nearly as jarring as any other gun I have shot. Both shot tight little groups at 30ft just down left. Double taps were similar but slightly better with my 92. Probably due to familiarity. Not sure which weighs more, but my 92 felt more balanced. 226 felt more top heavy.

Makes me rethink my next purchase of a 2022. I have only held one at the LGS. Shooting the sig was nice, but not as nice as my 92. Again, I have not had any extended time with the sig. I only shot 2 mags each back to back with my 92. Now trying to decide if I want to grab a p11 or a 2022 next. 2022 would be more of a winter carry for me as I am only 5'7" 155lbs. P11 would be an all year. But p11 would not really be a range option. Few mags just to stay comfortable.

I did get to shoot my buddies, brother's G27. Was very snappy. Did not like it very much. I mean, for what it was, it was not too bad, but I think it settled me on a 9mm for carry. I was able to double tap well enough. Kept both in the center, but probably 8" group. Cut my trigger finger on the trigger. Was jarring and could not really grip it too well. I know a p11 will be similar but the less recoil should make it more comfortable.

I usually start and end my range trips the same way. All 6 mags dumped as fast as I can. My first and last dump were the same outcome. Swiss cheesed blue man with 0 misses at 7yrds. Every inch had a hole in it so my grouping was probably 24". Not too bad for 90 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger each dump. Shot 300 rounds total. 180 in the first and last dump session. At the end I could barely pull the trigger. Its fun and a great stress reliever. I need to time myself next time. So I know how fast $20 can go.

I never think to take pictures or video, one of these times i will. So just a boring text post.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

2. 08-18-2012 05:22 PM #2
      If you're a big DA/SA guy (it seems like you) I'd drop everything and start looking at the FNH series of FNP/FNX handguns. They had some teething issues about three years ago, but have been ironed out into nice functioning handguns.

While I haven't shot one, my buddy swears by his FNS so far. I just recall that almost every review I read said they're very much a modern, lighter, Sig...for half the price. They ship with 3 magazines each, and can be had in the $400+/- range. They're a newer design, so some of the bulk of the Sig's internals are gone. I know I get harassed over this every time I say it, but the Sig and Beretta are starting to really show their age.

The FNH series will be polymer though, so you'd have some adjusting to do. If I has an occupation which required a DA/SA gun, I'd probably go FNH, or HK if I could afford a P30 (nice freakin' gun).

Sounds like a good range report.

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6 4Motion Exec.
      08-18-2012 06:43 PM #3
      The nice thing about a 92FS is how well constructed it is and the ease of removing the slide and reinstalling it is effortless. I liked my Taurus 92, but I loved the Beretta 92 that my grandfather use to have. Since I have a few rounds of 9mm still in my safe [and I do mean a few hundred], I have been looking at buying a Beretta to add back to my collection. Though I do want to add a 1911 and one or two other polymer guns also, the Beretta may be the first one I buy.

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 07:58 PM #4
      92fs is constructed like the piece of art that it is. The 226 costs a few hundred more and did not feel like the same piece of art.

I will have to take a look at the FN.
      Aaron

5. 08-18-2012 10:40 PM #5
      My father has a beautiful M84 Beretta BB in .380 auto from a long time ago. It is beautifully built, like a freakin' swiss time-piece. However, it's not a great fighting gun. I think one needs to make sure you find balance between a good lookin' rig and something that's fast and reliable.

The FNH guns won't win you any trophies for gun photography, but if you're looking for a good fighting handgun, might be worth your consideration.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      08-19-2012 11:24 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Rheinland Technik View Post
      The nice thing about a 92FS is how well constructed it is and the ease of removing the slide and reinstalling it is effortless.
      Hell, in some cases it will come right off during operation!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      08-20-2012 03:58 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      92fs is constructed like the piece of art that it is. The 226 costs a few hundred more and did not feel like the same piece of art.
      Interesting thread. I own a Beretta 92FS and Sig P226 and your descriptions are pretty spot-on. I have fired hundreds of rounds through a dozen+ different 9mm's and nothing feels as balanced and good "in my hand" than my 92. Nothing. And its track record at the range 1-3x a month for 7 yrs now is flawless. It's just a beautiful piece that i will never replace, I bought a used Made in Italy model from a local dealer for $575. The Sig is also used, had it 3 yrs, cost $300 more, doesn't feel as balanced (to me) and thanks to my experience and enjoyment with the 92, I don't spend as much range time with it as I should. I respect the quality and performance, I just happen to choose the 92 first at every range visit and sometimes never take the Sig out of the box.

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 06:53 PM #8
      Closest I have come to a competitor for the 92 is the Baby eagle/jericho 941, my brother has. Its quite a bit heavier though since it has a steel frame.
      Aaron