Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Coil over question.... For SCCA racing and slammed Daily

Vehicles
      12' Golf TDI, 83' 16V GTI
      08-18-2012 06:29 PM #1
      I have an 83 Rabbit GTI with a 16v that I race every month in SCCA solo. I have been looking for a set of coilovers with adjustable dampening and will also go pretty low on 15" wheels when im not racing. I was thinking about KW variant 2, but don't want to spend that kind of money without hearing some input.

The plan is to race it once a month and then lower it when im not racing on 15" BBS RSs. Pretty much want the lip of the wheel real close to the fender, but thats not necessary. Just don't want to buy awesome coilovers for racing that don't adjust low enough to emilinate wheel gap. I plan to spend over a grand so let me know what you think. Thanks
      VRSociety #302

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      08-18-2012 07:27 PM #2

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 07:45 PM #3
      Haha I knew this would happen. I search and searched trust me. Could find what I wanted to hear and only really found people talking about race lands and other similar cheap brands.
      VRSociety #302

Vehicles
      01 S8 11 Golf TDI 77 rabbit in pieces behind garage.
      08-18-2012 08:31 PM #4
      Well about the only ones I know of would be Bilstein or Koni or the KW. There are a few real big $$ that can be had from Ohlins or Penske. Those would have remote reservours and rebound and dampening. The only other way would be to build your own with sleaves and shock inserts.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI
      08-18-2012 08:44 PM #5
      Perhaps this exceeds your over 1k budget, but the best way I've seen to address both issues is to alter the tower. That way you keep your travel for racing (with help from dropped ball joints to correct geometry) and get your low for daily use. Just a thought however. Might also want to look into adjustable upper plates, though in some states its illegal to alter the mounting points of the suspension so cutting for plates\ cutting the tower may be illegal.

Then, you can run virtually any kind of coil and it will still ride at least better then most who just wind them all the way down.
      Quote Originally Posted by SVT2888 View Post
      The car scene, much like the music scene, has a lot of genre's and even genre's within genre's. But, like those who call themselves real music fans, if you're a real automotive enthusiast you can find something in every genre that you like.
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      Rip the ebrake. Neutral. Get bitches
      Function is the form.

Vehicles
      83 GTI 1.8 8v Callaway & 91 GTI 2.0 16v in the stable...99.5 GTI 2.0 16vT...gone, but not forgotten
      08-18-2012 09:19 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by keepitlow View Post
      I have an 83 Rabbit GTI with a 16v that I race every month in SCCA solo. I have been looking for a set of coilovers with adjustable dampening and will also go pretty low on 15" wheels when im not racing. I was thinking about KW variant 2, but don't want to spend that kind of money without hearing some input.

The plan is to race it once a month and then lower it when im not racing on 15" BBS RSs. Pretty much want the lip of the wheel real close to the fender, but thats not necessary. Just don't want to buy awesome coilovers for racing that don't adjust low enough to emilinate wheel gap. I plan to spend over a grand so let me know what you think. Thanks
      Unfortunately, the race quality coilovers won't go nearly low enough....I have a set of SPAX that I really like, but you'll only get about 2-2.5" total drop. If you get the ultra lows, they won't go nearly high enough for the autocross....

Sounds like time to go shopping for a 2nd car....
      83 GTI 1.8 8v Callaway Turbo......91 GTI 2.0 16v...El Diablo ...99.5 GTI 2.0 16vT....Gone, but not forgotten...

Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit 1.5D
      08-18-2012 09:40 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.OhhhGTI View Post
      Sounds like time to go shopping for a 2nd car....
      Or just not worry about how it looks. Most people on the road think any thing older than 10 years is a piece of ****, so lowering wont help your status.
      Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick 2.

Resident Volvo Nut

Vehicles
      08-18-2012 11:55 PM #8
      fuk ride height for looks. function> form

GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      v8 wagon and a bunny
      08-19-2012 11:58 AM #9
      low is good. but with that said, you are going to want to correct the suspension geometry for the ride height.

and that is not happening within your budget.

a nice quality set of coilovers and the correct geometry up front goes a long way in handling and feedback.

Vehicles
      81' Cabby w/ 16v, 03' Jetta TDI, 80' Honda CB650
      08-19-2012 12:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GLIguy85 View Post
      low is good. but with that said, you are going to want to correct the suspension geometry for the ride height.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
      The Hammered Mk1

Vehicles
      08-19-2012 01:55 PM #11
      I have looked into modifying the strut towers to get a little lower, but I don't think I want to get into that right now. I also have looked into ball joint extenders and tie rod extenders to keep the control arm and tie rod parallel to each other and parallel to the ground. I don't plan to SCCA it slammed out, I want to raise it to a proper height for racing and then drop it down whenever I'm not racing. I guess what im trying to ask is what are you guys that SCCA your car running coilover wise and do you daily drive it? I think I talked my self into the KW variant 2 and would eventually do the tie rod and ball joint extenders.
      VRSociety #302

Vehicles
      corrado
      08-19-2012 03:08 PM #12
      Kw v2s will be a good coil to scca race with. And they will go low enough on 15s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      77' Rabbit 16v, '92 Passat Syncro Wagon1.8t
      08-20-2012 06:14 PM #13
      What size tires are you planning on running with the 15's? What is your race wheel/tire combination?

What I would suggest doing is buying 2 sets of coilovers. Running coils "slammed" will wear them out very fast and you will end up blowing your shocks in a matter of months. ALL true race coilovers will slam the car, as they are meant for very low ride heights. You can spend 300 on a set of racelands to slam, and then get a set of bilstein sports with Ground Control sleeves for autox. I would suggest 400f/300r rates, no front bar and a huge rear sway bar. The KW's are the best option IMO for a dampening adjustable setup.

I think you will find it entirely too much work and such a waste of time to change your setup and re-align the car before ever event. Just set the car at a reasonable height between slammed and parrallel control arms and just drive the car. Being familiar with it at a given height that you drive all the time will be beneficial as well as much easier in the long run. The biggest issue with a lower ride height is the increase in wear on the ball joints and cv joints and bump steer. You can learn to drive fast with bump steer, and the joints are fairly cheap. Just set the height, corner balance, align it and forget it.

Vehicles
      77' Rabbit 16v, '92 Passat Syncro Wagon1.8t
      08-20-2012 06:16 PM #14
      Also, just food for thought, if you run the BBS in a 15" size and race on a low profile 13" wheel, you can just leave the ride height low on the 15's. The 13's will clear just fine. I think you will find that you can't really got that low on 15's and still daily drive it...

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 06:54 PM #15
      I'm unsure of the tire size I'm going to run on the 15's since I just bought the wheels but my race wheels are 14" modern lines with 185/55-14 tires. I don't really want to swap coilovers every month, but doing an alignment every month won't be hard or costly because I have access to a machine for free. I get what you saying about everything wearing more when it's slammed but I don't plan on being on the ground low, just no wheel gap or tuck the very top of the tire. I was also looking into the FKs with Konig adjustable coilovers, but I don't know if they will be any good.
      VRSociety #302

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 08:07 PM #16
      FK's are fukn junk, they blow in a year to a year and a half. sold them for years, they suck ass.

gaz makes great stop, then you have hotbits, you can run H&R setup...or do a bilsteing sport with shine racing coil over sleeves and a spring rate fo your preference.

essentially, you aren't going to get a "slammed" car with a "race" quality setup. pick one.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      corrado
      08-20-2012 08:51 PM #17
      Dat ***** speaks da truf ^^^

Function > looks

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      08-20-2012 09:44 PM #18
      Although there may be other shock/spring options, the shorter Koni double adjustable race shocks in shorten MK2 strut tubes provide both excellent handling qualities and a lower ride height.

However the cost is not cheap as a typical Koni setup about 10 years ago was in the neighborhood of $1800 to $2000. If you want to go fast in the corners, then you have to pay for the performance.

Cheer, WWR.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 10:24 PM #19
      i run h&r ikea loss now, but i have a full remote reservoir gaz setup test for when we get off island and move choose to a track.

i also have the spherical setup like that, but from scch, i need to install my flipped tire rod and spherical conversion there.

GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit, 2012 GTI
      08-20-2012 11:05 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Lando_Calrissian View Post
      Or just not worry about how it looks. Most people on the road think any thing older than 10 years is a piece of ****, so lowering wont help your status.
      Listen to you and your "status". Anyone who builds their own car to impress someone else is a D-bag.