Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: About to choose between JSW tdi and jetta sedan tdi

1. 08-19-2012 03:50 AM #1
      After working on my wife with my love of volkswagens she is ready to trade in her 2010 camaro for a jetta tdi or jsw tdi. We have a baby on the way so that kind of pushes us towards the wagon for trunk space.

My main concern is suspension handling and quality of build and features. Will the sedan have the independent rear suspension that the golf and jsw have as well as same great steering feel?
      I have an 02 jetta 1.8t that is my commuter with 144k but we are looking to save money and get rid of her camaro before it keeps losing value.

How do you guys feel about both and are there any big things that helped you decide between one or the other? Im about to turn 30 and we were at the dealership tonight looking at them side by side and im thinking ...a wagon? So this is where it all ends... lol

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      08-19-2012 09:47 AM #2
      Wagon in general>sedan.

But we're all a bit biased here.
      dublove.ca | Unitronicchipped

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-19-2012 11:11 AM #3
      The JSW you can buy today new is derived from the MK V platform. It has independent suspension on all four wheels, something you can only find in a new Jetta GLI or on any MK V Jetta. (A CPO JSW or MK V Jetta sedan could be a good choice.)

The new Jettas are called NCS, which is much cheaper to build and to buy than a JSW. There's no free lunch, though. VW had to cut some corners to get the savings.

I like the utility of the wagon. I also like its performance and the ease of upgrading. IMO, the base manual S offers the best value and best prospects for long-term reliability among new JSWs. Get a 2013 JSW for its improved MFD and the Multifunction steering wheel.

I'm no TDI hater, nor do I dislike DSG. (I have an '11 JSW equipped with both.). But that car is a complex beast and complexity can lead to problems. The 2.5 has far fewer engine accessories to break. My TDI seems very reliable, but it has an HPFP, a DPF, and a turbo in addition to the DSG. All have service lives and each is expensive. None will be cheap to replace.

My TDI isn't a daily driver because my 10 mile commute takes between 25 minutes and an hour to complete. I prefer a non-turbo gasser for that driving profile. So we use the TDI for long trips, something it's pretty decent at for adults in the front seat. My kids (18, 16 & 12) are not so small anymore, so the lack of rear foot room is a negative.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 08-22-2012 at 11:24 AM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Passat TDI 6M
      08-19-2012 12:11 PM #4
      JSW hands down

Vehicles
      2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos, Malone 1.5/////2010 Passat Komfort Wagon
      08-19-2012 12:50 PM #5
      Kind of new to VW and especially TDi's. Purchased my '12 JSW TDi 6MT Pano/portos/Nav last August. I wanted a TDi and loved the looks and the functionality of the wagon. Only 1(high school) of 4 kids at home now so it's not a problem with space etc. Back seat is functional for my son, he's about 5'10. One of the cool things about the TDi with all the goodies is the MFD and the MFSW. Know a guy that got the Jetta TDi sedan and he has partial controls on the steering wheel. However, from the comments above looks like the new ones have all the controls. They are really usefull. Bluetooth with my EVO 4 works great. Nav is really nice (wish that it was a bigger screen). I think that all the Jettas have switched over to 4 wheel discs now, earlier they had drums in the rear but the only way you will get 4 wheel independent suspension is to get a GLI or the JSW. The GLI is pretty slick: 2.0T; fogs (I wish the JSW came with them); Fender audio; I think it comes with leather too. Nice package but doesn't get the mileage that the TDi's come with (I'm averaging 39 mpg over 14k) and I imagine that the insurance is a bit steeper. MT or DSG. I chose the MT as I like manuals. The MT in the JSW is super sweet, very light action. It's very similar to the manual in a Honda Fit that my son has. If you or your wife can drive a MT you won't have a problem with it. DSG, if the DSG had steering wheel shift levers I might have gone the other way. Some guys have gotten the steering wheels from a GTI that has the shift levers and with a modification to VAGCOM they work. Nice. Consider too that the service on a DSG is pretty expensive, I've hear $400 to change fluids etc. although some guys are DIYers and do it for much less.

I like the openess of the JSW with the pano. BTW lots of different opinion on the Pano. For the record, no leaks and no squeaks on mine. Can't go wrong with either but as was said above, we're kind of partial to JSW's here

As to it all ending with a wagon......oh nooooooooo! It ends with a minivan, trust me I know. Wagons are the new thing. BMW is gonna bring in their 3 series wagon, Audi with their ALLROAD and A6 Avants, and think Mercedes is there too. Look at what the guys on this forum do their JSW's, darn cool. Almost wished that Chevy brought their Cruz wagon over and especially with a diesel. The more the merrier. Jag and Mercedes with their "shooting brake", hey they're fancy wagons. No, the JSW is just the beginning.
      Last edited by zagato27; 08-19-2012 at 12:57 PM.

6. 08-19-2012 01:01 PM #6
      Wow i completely forgot abkut the lack of paddle shifters...

I expected some bias and i dont mind. the wife doesnt want a manual and since we are replacing her car so she gets to make the decision. Thanks for reminding me of possible extra expenses and services. I guess the wagon would be more practical. I cant see having a stroller in the trunk and a shopping trip to costco working too well in the sedan.

Maybe thats how Il ring in my 30th birthday. The purchase of a wagon but atleast its not a minivan!

My main decision making issue was who has the better handling and quality and that probably points to the golf wagon

7. 08-19-2012 01:05 PM #7
      " As to it all ending with a wagon......oh nooooooooo! It ends with a minivan, trust me I know. Wagons are the new thing. BMW is gonna bring in their 3 series wagon, Audi with their ALLROAD and A6 Avants, and think Mercedes is there too. Look at what the guys on this forum do their JSW's, darn cool. Almost wished that Chevy brought their Cruz wagon over and especially with a diesel. The more the merrier. Jag and Mercedes with their "shooting brake", hey they're fancy wagons. No, the JSW is just the beginning."

Sorry didnt see this part. Your right audi has some great looking avants. If we go jsw its getting tint fog lights and possibly lowered just a bit as soon as we get it

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      08-19-2012 01:12 PM #8
      Remember the JSW is actually a Golf, which has a better everything than the MKVI Jetta sedan. Better interior, exterior, materials, etc.

Not to mention independent suspension.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI
      08-19-2012 07:11 PM #9
      Jsw-ftw

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      08-21-2012 09:28 PM #10
      get the wagen
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.