Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Changes in 2013 JSW (from 2012)

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI Manual
      08-19-2012 04:02 PM #1
      As a new owner of a 2013 JSW (TDI, pano roof, manual trans, white/titan), I'm curious about what has changed in the 2013 model. Most likely being the last year of this body style, changes are obviously minimal. Media sources say that everything is a carryover from 2012 (no changes). But I think I have found at least one change.

The carpeted rear wagon floor is now a folding "accordion" design. The 3 sections fold up and can rest on top of the separate front section. (The front section has its own underfloor storage area). When folded, the shallow underfloor storage area is exposed. No holding up a large single-piece panel, or securing it to the back hatch door (if that was possible in earlier models). My sales guy was surprised to see this folding panel change - if it is indeed a change. If it's not, I'm sure people will speak up.

Any other changes that anyone has found?

Comments on clutch and transmission: Having not been able to drive a manual-equipped JSW before ordering and taking delivery, I was pleasantly surprised at how the clutch and transmission operate. I read lots and lots of comments about LONG clutch travel where people can't even push the clutch all the way to the floor. On my 2013, I'm just not seeing that. Travel is about what I'm used to on other cars. And at 5" 10", I have no trouble pushing the clutch to the clutch stop at the floor. So I'm wondering if VW made a change there, or maybe the experience is just exaggerated on the internet.

Also, I find the shifting action smooth and light. There's not a huge amount of "feel" when shifting, but there doesn't need to be. The 3/4 gate seems a bit closer to the 5/6 gate than I'm used to (with BMW, for example), so when the car was brand new I hit 4th a couple of times when I was going for 6th. The only real annoyance so far is that the trans sometimes doesn't want to shift into first gear from a stop. The solution either seems to be to push harder, or shift into second, then up into first (clutch depressed the whole time), which seems to eliminate the resistance of going into first.

There are also some internet complaints about how easy it is to kill the TDI engine when engaging first gear. I haven't had that issue. However, I have noticed that it's pretty easy to kill the engine going into 2nd gear at a very low speed, which was a bit of a surprise. Even if I'm going a couple of MPH already, going into first is a better idea than 2nd. Second gear will work with more gas and clutch slipping, of course. It doesn't seem like starting out in 2nd gear will be a good option, such as on snow/ice. (Maybe after break-in, it will get a bit better).

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-19-2012 04:30 PM #2
      My '11 TDI has DSG and it hasn't stalled, even if I've hit the paddles a bit too quickly. (Mine has a GTI wheel with paddles, probably the most rewarding mod one can do to a DSG VW.) Go figure.

The '13 S model JSW seems to have the MFSW and the full Multi-Function Display (MFD). Previously these weren't available on an S. (One feature from the S that I wish were a a universal option is the all black window trim. Even if you don't find the chrome trim to be an eyesore, be prepared for it to fog up over time.)

Congrats on the new ride!
      Last edited by Outrider6; 08-21-2012 at 12:18 PM.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 SportWagen TDI
      08-19-2012 05:44 PM #3
      My '10 has the folding rear floor you speak of.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI Manual
      08-19-2012 06:52 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by sportwagen rick View Post
      My '10 has the folding rear floor you speak of.
      So that's not something new. However, my owners manual seems to only show the one-piece floor.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta sportwagon TDi/ 1992 lexus SC300
      08-19-2012 07:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenn JSW View Post
      So that's not something new. However, my owners manual seems to only show the one-piece floor.
      yep my 2012 has it as well.

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI 6MT
      08-21-2012 11:04 AM #6
      Congrats, just got one myself. Pics? I agree that the shifting is great and my wife enjoys it as well. I was pleasantly surprised as I also couldn't test drive one. I will say that the pedals are shifted a little far to the right for me but you get used to it pretty quick. Wife mentioned the same thing.

I take it, one change is the misfueling device to prevent smaller gasoline nozzles from being inserted. At least I had not seen it mentioned (still haven't) anywhere.

Vehicles
      2009 JSW 2.0t, SEL
      08-21-2012 12:50 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenn JSW View Post
      The carpeted rear wagon floor is now a folding "accordion" design.
      My 2009 has the one-piece rear floor you speak of. I'm glad because I have the Gorilla mat with Velcro plastic organizers which probably would not raise up well with this three-piece design.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      08-21-2012 02:16 PM #8
      My 2012 JSW TDI has the one piece floor.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      08-21-2012 04:59 PM #9
      The 2013 have a new anti misfueling thing in the filler neck, only the bigger diesel nozzle will fit in.
      Revo Tune / afe Intake / Neuspeed Turbo Exit Pipe / Mufflerectomy / ST Coils / Superpro LCAs / 25mm BFI RSB / Golf R Steering Wheel & Shifter / DG Short Shift Kit / RNS-510 / VWR BBK - MKV R32 Rear Brakes /OEM LED HIDs / VMR V810 / S53 Whispbars / OEM Golf R Front End

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-21-2012 07:51 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      The 2013 have a new anti misfueling thing in the filler neck, only the bigger diesel nozzle will fit in.
      Is this the nozzle that trucks use? If so, that's scary. Most of the diesel pumps near me aren't the big ones.

Also, those pumps can go a little fast, since 14 gallons isn't the usual size for a diesel truck fill-up...

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      08-21-2012 08:44 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Is this the nozzle that trucks use? If so, that's scary. Most of the diesel pumps near me aren't the big ones.

Also, those pumps can go a little fast, since 14 gallons isn't the usual size for a diesel truck fill-up...
      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=361557

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      08-22-2012 06:20 AM #12
      Thanks. I can see that filler neck coming to a TDI near you if the Diesel Only stickers don't have the intended effects. Doesn't look like anything to worry about, though.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn, 6MT, Plaid, Pure White
      10-01-2012 11:17 PM #13
      Hmm, my Canadian 2009 has the folding hatch storage, that was a big bonus to me and I love it. My canadian spec also has the dash cubby and dash shelf. All very useful.

I can store all kinds of small equipment/straps/tarps/etc in the rear floor and my trunk always looks clean. It's also very handy to for grocery bags, since you can fold and lock the floor up like /\ and your bags don't fall over or slide around.
      Last edited by Netcruzer; 10-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf Wagon 2.5, 5 speed
      10-02-2012 01:24 AM #14
      ya my 12 golf wagon has the folder back floor too