Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cig lighter and Cd player stopped working

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-19-2012 08:33 PM #1
      So I go to start my car one morning, and my cig lighter and Cd player didnt work. I checked the fuses and they were fine. I decided to take apart the dash and see what i could find.

Here's my helper for the job.

Dash apart.

Found this wire, all torn apart.

Seems to come off this yellow harness. Is this the harness for the Cig Lighter,and CD player. This could be the cause of my short in my stereo. It likes to cut off when I turn it up loud.

also, if anyone has any working Vacuum Servos, PM me please.

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-20-2012 12:57 PM #2
      Advice bump?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-20-2012 01:35 PM #3
      Go to a WRECKING YARD, look for a mk1 Rabbit, Jetta, or Cabriolet.
      Inside the engine compartment, inside the rain tray, the Fresh Air/Recirc Servo is the same. For the interim you can take the fresh air servo off your car and use it in place of the defroster servo so you can put the dash back together.

If you can find the metal canned ones they are better and have a longer life.
      Last edited by briano1234; 08-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-20-2012 02:20 PM #4
      Sadly I've checked the local yards with no luck of mk1 vw's. They've been considered obsolete is what people are saying. What do you think about the harness. I couldn't find a diagram of which harness control the cd player and cig lighter. In the photo I have a melted wire going to the yellow harness pictured, and have had no luck identifying the harness.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-21-2012 07:23 AM #5
      I just re-read the diagrams for all the radios. The Radio and the Cigarette Lighter are tied together in all but the Radios.

The Large Red Lead for the power in is coming from F3 and that powers the Radio and the Cigarette
      Lighter.

To say that your Radio/CD player cuts out when you "CRANK-IT-UP" is more of a problem with the CD player or that you have a weak ground. If the Radio still has the Lights on it, then it could be a main power in issue, but usually the Amplifier Circuit is getting hot and opening up, or it is Clipping the signals to the speakers and instead of pushing a a/c sine wave the signal clips and it is more like a pulsed square wave which is more like unfiltered DC.

Ciggie Lighters go bad, why, because if you use it for a power take off for a ipod, then the part that you push in has either wobbled out the ground teats, or that your Power is Loose.

On the inside of the Cigge lighter you will see that there are metal tabs from the exterior case that are the ground points of the unit when plugged in. These can get bowed or bent back making crappy grounds.

The Inner clip is usually riveted to a Ceramic Insulator, that clip is springy, and usually rusted.
      Cleaning that clip and re-bending the thing a little tighter along with pushing in the ground teats usually will bring it back to working order.

Your Best Friend here is going to be a Volt/Ohm meter.

As the Cabbie didn't have a in dash cd player in 89 well hell into 93, yours is aftermarket.
      The wiring is for that head unit that you have, I would start with with trying to look at the unit to see if the circuit connects are on the case, otherwise you need to Google it to see if you can get a install diagram.

Also the make of the unit would help or the model number on it too.

Grounds are a good thing to re-make.

Are they tied together? YES.

I think they are 2 separate issues. One is weakened from the years of the plug ins. The other may be deceased from "CRANKING IT UP".

Common thing, probably the grounds...

On a side note if your Gauges are working then the Ciggie Lighter uses the same grounds. If your center gauges are flakey when you are using your Lighter, then grounds are more than likely your issue.

Where are my grounds ?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      08-21-2012 01:59 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jakemoore89 View Post
      Sadly I've checked the local yards with no luck of mk1 vw's.
      Yes, a lot are crushed very shortly after showing up at any of the region's yards (same up this way in Clarksville), though it did surprise me that there wasn't at least one or two showing up on the Pull-A-Part inventory in Nashville. There's usually something out there but the closest I see today are a couple of mkII's...

Can't add anything to what Brian's already suggested, for I think he's pointing you in the right direction. Time to drag the test leads out...
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-21-2012 11:11 PM #7
      Well, I'm not going to be able to work on the car till thursday, I'll post back with my findings. I may pull the whole dash, and try to find out the cd player issue.I really think the problem is coming from the fuse box. In the past, I've unscrewed and dropped the fuse box, and majically the cd player and the cigg lighter would start working. Its most likely grounds, but Where do the grounds from the cd player harness go to? Im a newbie at electrical wiring, by the way. I know the head unit is wired correctly because it worked just fine in the past.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-21-2012 11:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by jakemoore89 View Post
      Well, I'm not going to be able to work on the car till thursday, I'll post back with my findings. I may pull the whole dash, and try to find out the cd player issue.I really think the problem is coming from the fuse box. In the past, I've unscrewed and dropped the fuse box, and majically the cd player and the cigg lighter would start working. Its most likely grounds, but Where do the grounds from the cd player harness go to? Im a newbie at electrical wiring, by the way. I know the head unit is wired correctly because it worked just fine in the past.
      F3 for the power.
      Ground is from the Frame.

F3 powers the cigarette lighter and the Radio for 12v unswitched.
      You will have to look to see where they got hte 12V switched from, usually the defroster.

Where are my grounds ?

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-22-2012 05:43 PM #9
      Yeah the 12v switched is running to defroster switch. Unswitched is running to large red wire in the dash.

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-23-2012 07:06 PM #10
      Made some progress and found out the Problem I'm having is from Plug B on the back of the CE1 Fusebox. I found this diagram to troubleshoot my issue.

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE1.html

If i mess with the wires coming out of the harness, it powers up my cd player and Cig lighter. I would like to have this fixed, so I'll need to replace the Harness labeled B. Previously I mentioned a bare wire in the fusebox. Its coming from Harness C. No problems are found from any of those wires, so I'll put that one on hold for awhile.

Anyone got a harness B or C from the CE1 fusebox for sale?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-23-2012 08:29 PM #11
      You probably need to clean the connections and then using a extraction tool remove the pins and re-solder them. It is probably a bad pin in the connector on the harness.

Where are my grounds ?

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet
      08-23-2012 10:01 PM #12
      What kind of extraction tool would I need?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-24-2012 09:08 AM #13
      Depending on the pins, they make a round pin extractor that you place over the pin from the connector end, this will compress the fingers of the catch then push the center rod to push the pin out. You can make one with brass hobby tubes from a local hobby store or hardware store. Radio shack used to sell them as well as Fry's. The other is for flat pins basically the same there is a finger that inserts in the key, then you push the pin out to the rear.

On the cluster pins the connector actually comes apart so that you can move them in and out at will

Where are my grounds ?