Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 19 of 19

    Thread: New Cabby Owner

    1. n00b
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      6
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      08-19-2012 10:07 PM #1
      Hi all, i have just bought an 87 cabby. Just wanted to say hello. i will be posting pics and info later. I am glad to be joining the community.

    2. Member superquick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2009
      Location
      Bremen, GA
      Posts
      371
      Vehicles
      91 Cabriolet, 81 Caddy
      08-19-2012 10:14 PM #2
      welcome to the club/sickness you will find that owning a cabby can be one of the funnest things ever. keep us posted on updates
      old VWs dont die
      they get lower

    3. Member jzinkel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2010
      Location
      Homer Glen, Illinois; Chicago suburb
      Posts
      183
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Cabriolet, 2003 BMW Dinan Z4, 2003 Toyota Highlander, 1995 Saturn SL2
      08-19-2012 11:56 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by superquick View Post
      welcome to the club/sickness you will find that owning a cabby can be one of the funnest things ever. keep us posted on updates
      Congratulations and welcome,
      If you like the CSI TV series, you'll like working on the car. Be prepared to educate yourself well. Buy the Bentley Repair Manual (now in hard cover) asap and book mark Cabby-Info.com
      You'll be reading every word on that site. Trust me............. But, in the end, taking care of the car and working the bugs out as they occur is quite rewarding. Parts are readily available but stay away from the ones marked made in China. Tip off is low, low price. They work a few days or months, then self destruct. Post your questions here and you'll always get great answers from several of the top guns. I got mine to a daily driver status with their help and the web site (thank you Kammy) in very short order. The car is an attention getter for sure, as well as a very fun ride.


      Cabby 023 by jzinkel, on Flickr
      Last edited by jzinkel; 08-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.
      JJZ
      1988 VW Cabriolet, 2003 BMW Z4 Dinan, 2003 Toyota Highlander, 1995 Saturn SL2
      In order of driving preference...........................
      jzinkel@lumc.edu

    4. Member glennz01's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2010
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      101
      Vehicles
      1991 Volkswagen Cabriolet
      08-20-2012 12:23 AM #4
      Welcome to the vortex. You are in for a fun ride! Looking forward to the pics and story.
      1991 Cabriolet - 1.8L 4 cyl-8V 5spd - Tornado Red w/Black Top - 14" Avus "Snowflake" Dolomite Grey stock rims.

    5. Member CajunSpike's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2009
      Location
      New Orleans, LA
      Posts
      4,120
      Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 06 2.5L Jetta, 08 GTI 2.0T
      08-20-2012 12:45 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jzinkel View Post
      Congratulations and welcome,
      If you like the CSI TV series, you'll like working on the car. Be prepared to educate yourself well. Buy the Bentley Repair Manual (now in hard cover) asap and book mark Cabby-Info.com
      You'll be reading every word on that site. Trust me............. But, in the end, taking care of the car and working the bugs out as they occur is quite rewarding. Parts are readily available but stay away from the ones marked made in China. Tip off is low, low price. They work a few days or months, then self destruct. Post your questions here and you'll always get great answers from several of the top guns. I got mine to a daily driver status with their help and the web site (thank you Kammy) in very short order. The car is an attention getter for sure, as well as a very fun ride.
      One of the best welcome statements I've read in a while....

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2012
      Location
      Houston TX
      Posts
      302
      Vehicles
      1993 Cabriolet / 2012 Golf R
      08-20-2012 01:34 AM #6
      I've had mine a month or so, it's been pretty non-stop fixing her up both undoing the PO(s) bodge jobs and other minor things. Loving the hell out it.

      Between the Bentley manual, cabby-info and the helpful and knowledgeable folk on this here forum, you should be set!

      Welcome and good luck with your new friend!

    7. Member briano1234's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      14,747
      Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      08-20-2012 06:51 AM #7
      Just take the time to update your profile with the year of your car, and general area of the country where you are located. So that when you describe symptoms, we can relate to where you are.

      Welcome to Cabby hood.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

      Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

    8. Member jzinkel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2010
      Location
      Homer Glen, Illinois; Chicago suburb
      Posts
      183
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Cabriolet, 2003 BMW Dinan Z4, 2003 Toyota Highlander, 1995 Saturn SL2
      08-20-2012 11:07 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dave93cab View Post
      I've had mine a month or so, it's been pretty non-stop fixing her up both undoing the PO(s) bodge jobs and other minor things. Loving the hell out it.

      Between the Bentley manual, cabby-info and the helpful and knowledgeable folk on this here forum, you should be set!

      Welcome and good luck with your new friend!
      Yes, I agree. Previous Owners have a tendancy to rig things inappropriately. You might find all sorts of crazy things. You'll start finding these issues as you learn the car. The CIS system is real easy to understand and there are a lot of good resources here and on the Web. It really is quite facinating how simple the engine works. Warning; Just don't go throwing parts at it until you consult with the experts here. Best of luck. Post pics. Regards, jjz



      mk1 by jzinkel, on Flickr
      JJZ
      1988 VW Cabriolet, 2003 BMW Z4 Dinan, 2003 Toyota Highlander, 1995 Saturn SL2
      In order of driving preference...........................
      jzinkel@lumc.edu

    9. n00b
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      6
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      08-20-2012 11:08 PM #9
      sorry for the dumb ? but i am having trouble adding pics. can sombody help me lol.
      the details in the faq are not showing up in my control panel.
      thanks

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 26th, 2012
      Location
      Houston TX
      Posts
      302
      Vehicles
      1993 Cabriolet / 2012 Golf R
      08-20-2012 11:48 PM #10
      Sign up for a Photobucket account. Pictures have to be stored external from the forums. When you upload a photo to photobucket it gives you the forum markup which looks like [ IMG ]{link to image}[ /IMG ] (without the spaces). Copy that into your post here..

    11. n00b
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      6
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      08-21-2012 08:40 PM #11


      Here is a pick that my friend took. As soon as i get my camera back i will post more. Sorry he likes wierd angles lol

      its an 87 cabby 2 owner. it was garage kept most of its life. seems to be in really good shape. has a few issues but nothing that cant be fixed.

      only real draw back is that it is an automatic.

    12. n00b
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      6
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      08-21-2012 08:42 PM #12
      Oh, and thanks for the info. forgot about photo bucket.

    13. Member superquick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2009
      Location
      Bremen, GA
      Posts
      371
      Vehicles
      91 Cabriolet, 81 Caddy
      08-21-2012 08:46 PM #13
      another dubber from the south. the chain is getting stronger love those wheels, man. that's one clean cabby you got there
      old VWs dont die
      they get lower

    14. Member jzinkel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2010
      Location
      Homer Glen, Illinois; Chicago suburb
      Posts
      183
      Vehicles
      1988 VW Cabriolet, 2003 BMW Dinan Z4, 2003 Toyota Highlander, 1995 Saturn SL2
      08-22-2012 12:59 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by kevintfn View Post


      Here is a pick that my friend took. As soon as i get my camera back i will post more. Sorry he likes wierd angles lol

      its an 87 cabby 2 owner. it was garage kept most of its life. seems to be in really good shape. has a few issues but nothing that cant be fixed.

      only real draw back is that it is an automatic.
      Looks like ya did good, real good................Enjoy. jjz
      JJZ
      1988 VW Cabriolet, 2003 BMW Z4 Dinan, 2003 Toyota Highlander, 1995 Saturn SL2
      In order of driving preference...........................
      jzinkel@lumc.edu

    15. n00b
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      6
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      09-03-2012 12:06 PM #15
      ok, sorry i have been busy. here are some pics of the new ride.
      i paid $1200 for it. it was garage kept most of its life. i am the 3rd owner. it runs pretty well and the air blows cold. there are some issues but that is normal for a car this old.







    16. Member superquick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2009
      Location
      Bremen, GA
      Posts
      371
      Vehicles
      91 Cabriolet, 81 Caddy
      09-03-2012 12:16 PM #16
      dang that thing is clean. 1200 isn't bad at all for a cabby that well kept. you got yourself a fine automobile there sir what are your plans for it?
      old VWs dont die
      they get lower

    17. Member wdvolks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2011
      Location
      Vermont
      Posts
      104
      Vehicles
      1983 GTI, 1988 Cabby, T-Red 91 GTI, Monty green 91 GTI, 95 Passat, 02 GTI 24v, 08 GTI, 09 Jetta TDI
      09-03-2012 07:16 PM #17
      Looks like its in great shape! congrats.

    18. n00b
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      6
      Vehicles
      1987 Cabriolet
      09-03-2012 08:24 PM #18
      thanks,, i am planning on finding a donnor car and converting to a manual. later i will start working on the inside and such. the first thing will be upgrading the stereo.

      btw i work on nissans for a living. so this is a bit of a change. lol

      here is what i spent my day on friday




    19. Member rabbitnothopper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2009
      Location
      D-Town REPRESENT : Texas
      Posts
      8,278
      Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      09-05-2012 01:49 AM #19
      you should get the outer trim for that headlight plus the chrome strip....

      looks good enjoy

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •