Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: 2012 Fiat 500 Turbo

Vehicles
      2013 TSX, 2014 JKU Willys, 2011 Zuma 125
      08-20-2012 11:46 AM #1
      I havent seen much info on here regarding the new model out in fall...priced under $20,000 135hp...should be fun.

* sorry I fubar'd the title should be 2013

http://blog.fiatusa.com/vehicles/int...iat-500-turbo/
      Last edited by horsty69; 08-20-2012 at 11:50 AM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      08-20-2012 11:49 AM #2
      Thanks for the link, forums poster "horsty 69".

135hp/150tq seems like it'd be pretty quick in such a small car.
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 11:51 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      Thanks for the link, forums poster "horsty 69".

135hp/150tq seems like it'd be pretty quick in such a small car.
      hahaha..no problem, I'd love to change that username but I've had it forever

Vehicles
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo und Rennsemmel
      08-20-2012 11:56 AM #4
      Is this basically the Abarth engine in a non-Abarth 500?
      Fiat 126 bis build thread here. Error 404: 0-60 not found.
      Fiat 128, the stroppy cow.

5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-20-2012 11:58 AM #5
      It seems to me that the price is a little too high. Yes, it nicely splits the difference between the Sport and Abarth, but if you're spending 20k for this beastie, it seems you'd always wish you'd bought the Abarth. A little lower price would make that decision more palatable. At least to me it would.

It looks to be a good compromise and a hoot to drive, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

08-20-2012 12:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Lupo TDI View Post
      Is this basically the Abarth engine in a non-Abarth 500?
      It's akin to the standard European-spec Abarth motor in a standard USA-spec 500.

In the USA the Abarth 500 comes with the European Abarth SS motor (more or less, minor calibration differences for emissions, fuel, etc.)

Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      08-20-2012 12:01 PM #7
      My question: Is Abarth horsepower just a "tune" away on this motor?
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 12:04 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It seems to me that the price is a little too high. Yes, it nicely splits the difference between the Sport and Abarth, but if you're spending 20k for this beastie, it seems you'd always wish you'd bought the Abarth. A little lower price would make that decision more palatable. At least to me it would.

It looks to be a good compromise and a hoot to drive, though.

Im not sure if it will be available with an auto...if so that may attract people that dont want to row their own gears in the Abarth.....plus you could option it up alittle bit and still be under entry to the Abarth.....I will say though, if Im pulling the trigger on one of these it would be abarth or nothing... for me the extra few grand is worth it.

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 12:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      My question: Is Abarth horsepower just a "tune" away on this motor?
      Well the Abarth has two intercoolers and there are other differences, but I have the same question...how close can you get to the Abarth with just a tune...but then again, after I spent money on a tune and a few other things you may just have been better getting the Abarth.

10. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-20-2012 12:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by horsty69 View Post
      Im not sure if it will be available with an auto...if so that may attract people that dont want to row their own gears in the Abarth.....plus you could option it up alittle bit and still be under entry to the Abarth.....I will say though, if Im pulling the trigger on one of these it would be abarth or nothing... for me the extra few grand is worth it.
      Ah. I hadn't considered the automatic angle. That's an excellent point.

25 hp is a pretty big difference in a car this small, but as intimated earlier, it may just be a tune away. If it's a factory backed tune, It'd be tempting. Of course, with only $2,500.00 separating them, I'd probably hit the Abarth.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

11. Member
      08-20-2012 12:31 PM #11
      Also keep in mind that this one isn't going to be as outlandish or in-your-face as the Aberth model. I'd also be surprised if it had the same exhaust burble. Pair that with an automatic transmission option and I could see this selling very well, it's sporty but a hell of a lot cheaper than your Mini competition.
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Mars went for Obama in the last election

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05 MCS, 03 XJ X308, 81 MB W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      08-20-2012 12:35 PM #12
      It will sell great. The Abarth might be too extreme for most of the buyers. I saw my first one on a Safeway parking lot, and the burble was crazy - it sounded like an old italian exotic car

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      08-30-2012 02:00 PM #13
      It is the same motor as the Abarth, twin intercooled too. It has the same "big" bumpers as the abarth. a Single exhaust that is muffled a bit more (abarth is basically un muffled). It also has the same trans (hardened internals, electronic controlled diff ect...)

No abarth badges (abarth has no fiat badges), regualr sport interior, blacked out lights front and rear. I think they should have at least put the Abarth style steering wheel in the 500T.

Theoretically it should just be a Tune away from the Abarth's 160 hp.!
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

Vehicles
      Official Member of the Masochistic Black Car Owners Club
      08-30-2012 02:29 PM #14
      I test drove a Fiat 500 yesterday. It was red on red/black w/ the Sport package (whatever they call it-comes with nice wheels, less chrome, and red brake calipers). I loved everything but the lack of power down low, the seating position, and the somewhat loose feeling steering. At highway speeds this car can cruise pretty effortlessly, but from a stop it's a dog. On the plus side, I quite like the retro appeal of the car, the ride quality was very good, and the seats were supportive. Here's to hoping the Turbo model fixes at least one of my issues with the car.

By comparison, the nearly identically priced Veloster Turbo had much tighter steering (no joke) and acceleration was like night and day. I actually expected the Veloster to feel slow given the performance specs, but it felt downright quick under most circumstances. It's unfortunate that the view to the sides and rear is seriously compromised. A backup camera should be mandatory.

Still though, for $26k(ish), the Veloster would get my money every single day of the week. Greater performance. Greater feature content. Better/lower seating position. Superior warranty/dealer network.
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 08-30-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      08-30-2012 02:39 PM #15
      I guess you didnt hit the 'sport button' on the dash? It tightens the electronic steering.
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 02:44 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      I test drove a Fiat 500 yesterday. It was red on red/black w/ the Sport package (whatever they call it-comes with nice wheels, less chrome, and red brake calipers). I loved everything but the lack of power down low, the seating position, and the somewhat loose feeling steering. At highway speeds this car can cruise pretty effortlessly, but from a stop it's a dog. On the plus side, I quite like the retro appeal of the car, the ride quality was very good, and the seats were supportive. Here's to hoping the Turbo model fixes at least one of my issues with the car.

By comparison, the nearly identically priced Veloster Turbo had much tighter steering (no joke) and acceleration was like night and day. I actually expected the Veloster to feel slow given the performance specs, but it felt downright quick under most circumstances. It's unfortunate that the view to the sides and rear is seriously compromised. A backup camera should be mandatory.

Still though, for $26k(ish), the Veloster would get my money every single day of the week. Greater performance. Greater feature content. Better/lower seating position. Superior warranty/dealer network.
      I like the Veloster and it is "more" car for the money but it looks like you could get a 500 Turbo optioned well for 22K not 26K...4k is a considerable difference at this level.....either way there are more substantial cars for the money but the Fiat like the MINI isnt really a value play it is a want thing.

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 02:54 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by horsty69 View Post
      I like the Veloster and it is "more" car for the money but it looks like you could get a 500 Turbo optioned well for 22K not 26K...4k is a considerable difference at this level.....either way there are more substantial cars for the money but the Fiat like the MINI isnt really a value play it is a want thing.
      Well, all I know is the non-turbo model I sat in yesterday stickered for $26k+. It did seem pretty loaded, but then again, so is the Veloster. Everyone's definition of "well-equipped" varies, but based on the dozen or so 500s I looked at yesterday, I'd say the average transaction price is in the range of $23-24k, which is where the Veloster Turbo starts. I'd imagine you'd have a hard time finding a $22k 500 Turbo on most dealers lots, but I could be wrong.
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 08-30-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 03:00 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by -teknien- View Post
      I guess you didnt hit the 'sport button' on the dash? It tightens the electronic steering.
      I did actually and can't say I noticed a difference.

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 03:16 PM #19
      Well, all I know is the non-turbo model I sat in yesterday stickered for $26k+. It did seem pretty loaded, but then again, so is the Veloster. Everyone's definition of "well-equipped" varies, but based on the dozen or so 500s I looked at yesterday, I'd say the average transaction price is in the range of $23-24k, which is where the Veloster Turbo starts. I'd imagine you'd have a hard time finding a $22k 500 Turbo on most dealers lots, but I could be wrong.
      HUH? It must have been a convertable gucci or something...you can get these optioned out( check every box) with leather for under 20 sticker and they are all over here..they start at 15,500...non turbo of course..turbo starts at 19900...add two grand for options you want..

The dealer by me has an Abarth for 24K and change as well
      Last edited by horsty69; 08-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.

20. Member
      08-30-2012 03:22 PM #20

Are you in Canada by chance because I've been to the Fiat dealer twice and haven't seen any 500s for $26K. The Abarth I test drove was just a hair over $25,000. It's cool if you like the Velostar more, but your pricing seems way off?
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Mars went for Obama in the last election

Vehicles
      2014 FIAT 500 Abarth
      08-30-2012 03:33 PM #21
      I did actually and can't say I noticed a difference.
      Are you sure you were driving a 500 ???

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 03:42 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      Are you in Canada by chance because I've been to the Fiat dealer twice and haven't seen any 500s for $26K. The Abarth I test drove was just a hair over $25,000. It's cool if you like the Velostar more, but your pricing seems way off?
      You know what, I think you're right. I must have glanced at the price w/ dealer markup because loaded exactly like the one I drove, the Sport comes out just under $22k.

I apologize for my error. If I have time I will snap some pics of the one I drove including the sticker later on.

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      08-31-2012 12:01 AM #23
      This new turbo will fit nicely into their lineup.

Not everyone wants/can haz an Abarth.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C
      The world runs on marketing, and in the case of winter tires Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air and passes as a tire will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.