Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Who tilt-mounts their TVs?

Vehicles
      Sportage
      08-20-2012 03:24 PM #1
      So, who has their TVs mounted with a tilt? I'm wondering if this is recommended by the professionals (ahem, osiris? ). Right now I have a plasma on the factory stand upright and we have no viewing angle issues or glare problems. Just curious.

I've heard some folks talk about angling the TV at an angle of 17 degrees. However, I've never seen any recommendation for that. In fact, Samsung's FAQs state to not tilt the TV more than 15 degrees.

And in related experience, my church had 4 HD DLPs that were tilted about 20 degrees (mounted high and tilted for ground viewing), but within 3 years, the TVs began to have a blue tint all around the screen that increased with age. TVs were from 2004.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

2. 08-21-2012 10:49 AM #2
      I only use tilt brackets when the TV has to be mounted above the ideal height, which is the case in many installations since interior designers and architects love to force the TV above fireplaces. It can help knock down some glare, but I try to design around areas with really high glare by using matte finish screen models.

3. 09-05-2012 10:18 AM #3
      Shouldn't need a tilt at proper* viewing height.

*eye level 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      09-05-2012 11:54 AM #4
      We had to mount ours fairly high on the bedroom wall so I used a tilt mount to bring the angle down just a tiny bit. Works great since we are typically sitting on the bed when watching it.

I made the mistake of putting a plasma in that room though and the glare is pretty nasty during the day since it doesn't have a matte screen. Live and learn.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

09-07-2012 12:16 AM #5
      I have my Sony 40" Bravia LCD tilt-mounted but it's mostly for preference. I like to sit on the floor almost as much i like ot sit on the couch while I watch TV so I choose to buy the bracket that suited my needs.
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      If there is enough room to shoehorn a car seat in the back by the roll cage I think this might be the car to buy.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      09-07-2012 01:59 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      I only use tilt brackets when the TV has to be mounted above the ideal height, which is the case in many installations since interior designers and architects love to force the TV above fireplaces.
      I've been seeing that trend more and more. Why oh why do people think that looks good. Reminds me of a thread in the home improvement forum. The guy made this gaudy fireplace surround and proceeded to mount the TV 5-6' up the wall.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | DrinkTanks | Scratch-It™
      The people around here tuck their teeshirts into their jeans. So a sense of humor will not be welcomed.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      09-08-2012 09:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I've been seeing that trend more and more. Why oh why do people think that looks good. Reminds me of a thread in the home improvement forum. The guy made this gaudy fireplace surround and proceeded to mount the TV 5-6' up the wall.
      ok, glad it's not me going WTF? with tilt mount and/or fireplace mount. I understand some folks are severely limited with their placement of TVs. Why anyone would choose that position is beyond me.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

10-24-2012 08:30 PM #8
      I have my living room TV tilted as i mounted it to be more symmetrically even with the table top and ceiling

I don't find it difficult at all - but then again - I'm usually lounged out, lying down on the sectional while I watch.

Thanks
      - Eric
      Eric