Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 71 to 80 of 80

    Thread: So IF I was looking at an AP1 S2000...what are things to look out for?

    1. Member VTECeateR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2000
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      10,405
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-22-2012 07:09 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_HEAVEN View Post
      VTECeater - for reference, I recently picked up an AP1 just like the one you posted, but with half the mileage and cheaper in the Bay Area. For peace of mind I already changed the valve retainers on both the intake and exhaust sides. Kind of overkill to do it so early on since most people won't ever do it until or at least 80k-100k miles, but you never know with previous owners.

      Most everything has already been mentioned in this thread. If you go check out the car, see if all VIN #'s match on all panels. There should be 10 of them. If any of them are missing it's a sign of an accident, replacement, stolen parts, etc. It's super hard to find one that hasn't been modified or salvaged.

      How do you like the car? Is it a weekender?

      On ANOTHER note, should I be considering the Miata? I've never driven one.

    2. Member sandiegan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2005
      Location
      LA Section 8 Housing
      Posts
      4,530
      Vehicles
      GOAT. Bicycle.
      08-22-2012 07:30 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      How do you like the car? Is it a weekender?

      On ANOTHER note, should I be considering the Miata? I've never driven one.
      I've had 3 S2000s and an NB Sport. I did not care for the Miata much. However, I was extremely uncomfortable in it due to the hard leather seats, so that may have biased me.

    3. Member Jerry_HEAVEN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2000
      Location
      where the slime lives
      Posts
      12,425
      08-22-2012 07:34 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      How do you like the car? Is it a weekender?

      On ANOTHER note, should I be considering the Miata? I've never driven one.
      So far I love it. Then again I have another car that I drive to and from work, lug big stuff around, etc. I would drive it more often, but I need to get new tires & alignment. Pretty raw car and rewarding to drive.

      I do plan on transitioning making the S2000 my daily once I get my tires and alignment squared away. I'll make my current car (Passat) a utility vehicle

      I can't realistically comment on Miata's since the only one I've driven for about 10 minutes is a modified NA. IMO compared to a Miata the S2000 looks nicer and feels a bit bigger. Also has more power and revs to 8/9k.
      Last edited by Jerry_HEAVEN; 08-22-2012 at 08:26 PM.

    4. Banned Chris Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2008
      Location
      'Murica. F yeah.
      Posts
      11,637
      Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-22-2012 08:11 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      How do you like the car? Is it a weekender?

      On ANOTHER note, should I be considering the Miata? I've never driven one.
      A wise man once described the S2000 as a "weaponized Miata.". I think that's pretty accurate. Miatas are awesome in the curves, but an S2000 can be fun on the straights AND in the turns.

    5. Member VTECeateR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2000
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      10,405
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-31-2012 04:13 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      A wise man once described the S2000 as a "weaponized Miata.". I think that's pretty accurate. Miatas are awesome in the curves, but an S2000 can be fun on the straights AND in the turns.
      Dammit. I'm so torn. My logical side says just keep the Jetta, my not so logical side says keep it and add an old miata....my heart is SCREAMING for an S2000 (and I'd probably have to get a beater 4 door).

      This car just got $2k cheaper...






      OMFG 9k!?!?!?!?! I could DEAD

    6. Member Bibs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2001
      Location
      SW Ontario
      Posts
      1,396
      Vehicles
      06 Miata, 07 Magnum, 06 Mazda 3
      08-31-2012 04:26 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      Dammit. I'm so torn. My logical side says just keep the Jetta, my not so logical side says keep it and add an old miata....my heart is SCREAMING for an S2000 (and I'd probably have to get a beater 4 door).
      I have an '06 Miata, which sits in between the old NA Miata you are thinking about and a S2000. 2 of my friends have S2000s, an AP1 and a CR. The S2000 takes a NC Miata, a fun car in its own right, and turns it up 30%. The chassis feels and reacts more sharply, the cabin has a nicer finish, and we all know about the engine. I sit in my Miata, and I do love it. I sit in a S2000, and it just feels a class above.

      Compare this to an older NA Miata, which are great in their own right...but different. The NA will have a light, tossable nature, with a touch of "old car" charm. It's again, a different class of vehicle. The NA is a slow car that's fun to drive fast. The NC and more so, the S2000 are cars that have very high limits that are pretty useless on public roads. All 3 are good cruisers for a weekend drive.

      If you really want a S2000, the Miata will not scratch that itch.
      2006 MX-5
      2007 Magnum
      2006 Mazda 3

    7. Member VTECeateR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2000
      Location
      Bay Area, CA
      Posts
      10,405
      Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-31-2012 05:31 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Bibs View Post
      I have an '06 Miata, which sits in between the old NA Miata you are thinking about and a S2000. 2 of my friends have S2000s, an AP1 and a CR. The S2000 takes a NC Miata, a fun car in its own right, and turns it up 30%. The chassis feels and reacts more sharply, the cabin has a nicer finish, and we all know about the engine. I sit in my Miata, and I do love it. I sit in a S2000, and it just feels a class above.

      Compare this to an older NA Miata, which are great in their own right...but different. The NA will have a light, tossable nature, with a touch of "old car" charm. It's again, a different class of vehicle. The NA is a slow car that's fun to drive fast. The NC and more so, the S2000 are cars that have very high limits that are pretty useless on public roads. All 3 are good cruisers for a weekend drive.

      If you really want a S2000, the Miata will not scratch that itch.
      I really do.

    8. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,071
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      08-31-2012 10:35 PM #78
      There's a nice red one with more miles yet a Mugen top in the East Bay on CL. Price seems a little high, but it looks clean.

    9. Member Ark6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2007
      Location
      Bay Area...kinda,CA
      Posts
      2,408
      Vehicles
      05 S2000
      09-01-2012 03:57 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      You guys are so funny. I posted in that thread. I LOVE VWs and it's still no contest. R32 is the best MKIV golf ever and it not even close.

      To the S2000 guys, am I better of shopping an AP2 with ~50k? As a VW owner I'm just deathly afraid of cars with over that kind of mileage
      If you care about the extra torque, sure. I got mine for $16k with 38k miles, and that was back in April of 2011. But please don't get a plastic top AP1 at that price. That's just ripping yourself off.

      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

    10. Member Ark6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2007
      Location
      Bay Area...kinda,CA
      Posts
      2,408
      Vehicles
      05 S2000
      09-01-2012 04:08 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      I love it when an owner can sell a car better than the manufacturing ad agencies ever could. I won't lie, I looked forward to driving that yellow one every day I had it. What are your thoughts with a kid in a booster? My son is now 5. Is the passenger airbag weight-sensed?
      No. The 06 and up have switches that you can turn off the passenger air bag with.


      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •