Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So IF I was looking at an AP1 S2000...what are things to look out for?

1. 08-21-2012 05:23 PM #51
      You've got to ditch the one car philosophy.

You need two cars, one for fun and the other to move stuff/people.

If you have a mate, you make them drive the hauler.

If you don't have a mate, you just buy two crappy cars (miata/crappy econo-car) and work your way up from there.

The one-car hypothesis is bunk and will ruin you.

/

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-21-2012 07:25 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      To be fair, utility can be a pretty damn big part of the car ownership package.

If I had another car with a back seat, I'd definitely own an S2000. But I don't, so I stick with my GTI. It's a fun car in its own little way- and that way is different than an S2000. These are two cars that really can't be compared.

These Honda threads (also Miata/S2000/Solstice) always devolve into bizarre arguments over utility and how everybody always needs a hatch to throw the back seats down and haul an entire forest of lumber.

edit: for me, utility isn't the hatchback (though I am partial to the hatchback look), but it's the ability to put people in the back, which I use almost every single weekend.
      Exactly. My wife has this...

DSC_0102 by ATPhotodesign, on Flickr

so, ya I'm probably ok....

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      08-21-2012 07:44 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by VTECeateR View Post
      let's not get crazy. For how useful and fun the GTI is, it's a tough package to beat. As far as drivers car goes, it's S2000 every day of the week but for an only car I do fear that the cramped interior MIGHT wear on me as my only car....luckilly my wife would probably happily trade her CC with me if I ever 'tired' of it.
      i got on the highway today after leaving work, for one brief moment the eyes of every camry driving state employee were burned with the sight of my white wheels and ears crushed with the sound of me popping off the rev-limiter. i'm running catless and i'm quite certain the douche-hat in the prius behind me knew damn well i was killing the environment x2 just for him. there is no substitute for clubbing 9,000 baby seals a minute while humiliating a smug hybrid owner. no matter how boring my day is, running that entrance ramp at 65mph flat out is like being on a rampage. you get this big carnivore grin, probably what a lion does just seconds before it eats something. the sound of the intake and valvetrain past 8,000 revs is just ravenous, it's trying to come out of the hood, its trying to kill you. slap the clutch down and it sounds like you're choking a charging pit bull, it just barks, the next gear slides in like a well oiled rifle bolt, and the back end sits back down under power. it's sex on fire. the definition of james may's fizzing sensation behind his penis.

and then you realize the list of cars you'd trade that sensation for are very uncommon and very expensive. hint: the GTI isn't one of them.

oh and ps, that's the start of my 52.7 mile commute home. don't tell me you can't live with it, i'm 6 foot plus and its damned tight, but that split second while being a hoon, totally worth it.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-21-2012 07:57 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      i got on the highway today after leaving work, for one brief moment the eyes of every camry driving state employee were burned with the sight of my white wheels and ears crushed with the sound of me popping off the rev-limiter. i'm running catless and i'm quite certain the douche-hat in the prius behind me knew damn well i was killing the environment x2 just for him. there is no substitute for clubbing 9,000 baby seals a minute while humiliating a smug hybrid owner. no matter how boring my day is, running that entrance ramp at 65mph flat out is like being on a rampage. you get this big carnivore grin, probably what a lion does just seconds before it eats something. the sound of the intake and valvetrain past 8,000 revs is just ravenous, it's trying to come out of the hood, its trying to kill you. slap the clutch down and it sounds like you're choking a charging pit bull, it just barks, the next gear slides in like a well oiled rifle bolt, and the back end sits back down under power. it's sex on fire. the definition of james may's fizzing sensation behind his penis.

and then you realize the list of cars you'd trade that sensation for are very uncommon and very expensive. hint: the GTI isn't one of them.

oh and ps, that's the start of my 52.7 mile commute home. don't tell me you can't live with it, i'm 6 foot plus and its damned tight, but that split second while being a hoon, totally worth it.
      I love it when an owner can sell a car better than the manufacturing ad agencies ever could. I won't lie, I looked forward to driving that yellow one every day I had it. What are your thoughts with a kid in a booster? My son is now 5. Is the passenger airbag weight-sensed?

Here he is now

Oh, and just because I can....I've also been eying THESE...

I'm torn....drivers car or brute muscle with T-Tops? (I'm seriously torn)

Vehicles
      08-21-2012 08:57 PM #55
      I love it when an owner can sell a car better than the manufacturing ad agencies ever could. I won't lie, I looked forward to driving that yellow one every day I had it. What are your thoughts with a kid in a booster? My son is now 5. Is the passenger airbag weight-sensed?
      i believe the passenger seat is weight sensing... you could probably find a way around that through the s2000 or s2ki forums.

and i'm glad you enjoyed my description. my friend actually wrote a bit for my blog like that...i'll see if i can dig up a link.

edit: found it - http://topalwaysdown.com/2011/12/14/...ide-in-an-ap1/

i think my favorite quote of his is, "you really do have to drive it like you hate it"
      Last edited by compy222; 08-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      08-22-2012 09:14 AM #56

Well, yeah...now I want one even more.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | 2012 Focus SE Sport (2011-2014) | 2009 G8 GT (2011-2011) | 2008 R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      08-22-2012 10:15 AM #57

Oh, and just because I can....I've also been eying THESE...

I'm torn....drivers car or brute muscle with T-Tops? (I'm seriously torn)
      Why not just buy a C5 if that's the case?

Vehicles
      Forester - Z06
      08-22-2012 10:22 AM #58
      Prices are getting stoopid on these, they've been constantly rising since I started looking last Christmas. People are asking $21k for 05's. Has me thinking 01-04 Z06 for same money, 2x the powa. If I find a well priced AP2 sub $15k I'd buy one in GPW/NFR.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 10:24 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Why not just buy a C5 if that's the case?
      you should seriously consider a C5 Z06 if you're thinking about the s2000. the z06 is only a few thousand more for a truly impressive performance car. the trade-off is that every time you put the hammer down you run the risk of getting arrested or killing somebody (yourself included).

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI #yolo
      08-22-2012 10:30 AM #60
      every time you put the hammer down you run the risk of getting arrested or killing somebody (yourself included).
      This is the case with an S2000 as well, thanks to VTEC.
      Call To Order Pizza But Too Shy To Answer The Door When It Arrives Crew

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 10:45 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by FissionMailed View Post
      This is the case with an S2000 as well, thanks to VTEC.
      a c5 z06 will break most speed limits without leaving 1st gear. a bit different than being killed to death by VTEC crossover.

Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      08-22-2012 11:13 AM #62
      a c5 z06 will break most speed limits without leaving 1st gear. a bit different than being killed to death by VTEC crossover.
      IJS, my well-modded C5 went for $13K. Might be a good $3-5K more than a comparable F-Body but worth it IMO.

The S2000 is a different story altogether.

Vehicles
      A bicycle.
      08-22-2012 12:33 PM #63
      i paid 13k for mine about two years ago. i just KBB'ed it with 24k more miles on it. its worth 16.9k in very good condition.
      Just sold mine for $1100 more than I bought mine for, 20k miles later

14. 08-22-2012 12:40 PM #64
      I looked into a C5 Z06, but the tires, gas, and insurance costs over the S2000 are more than a little.

Nobody here is buying a Corvette and trying to get good mileage with it, so the tall 6th gear is meaningless.

It also seems one size larger than the S2000, especially the width.

And the interior sucks, relative to the Honda of course.

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 12:47 PM #65
      IJS, my well-modded C5 went for $13K. Might be a good $3-5K more than a comparable F-Body but worth it IMO.

The S2000 is a different story altogether.
      I agree. If you're looking at a really clean AP1 for nearly 20k, there are definitely 01-04 Z06's in the lows 20's i'd be considering as well.

Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Boss 302
      08-22-2012 12:55 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post

Nobody here is buying a Corvette and trying to get good mileage with it, so the tall 6th gear is meaningless.
      I did. That car did 30-31mpg on the highway. It was great for driving home from school. Only used about a quarter tank to go 150 miles.

17. 08-22-2012 01:02 PM #67
      I did. That car did 30-31mpg on the highway. It was great for driving home from school. Only used about a quarter tank to go 150 miles.
      The S2000 isn't terrible on the fwy either. I get close to 30 on long trips.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-22-2012 01:10 PM #68

I just had a crappy meeting, and pissed, stormed off to lunch. Got my S sideways leaving the parking lot, and on the way back, hit 9k in first and second. Fck this car is great.

Vehicles
      '79 Volvo 242 project car, '99 9-3 Viggen, '93 Volvo 945, '05 SAAB 9-5
      08-22-2012 02:11 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      I don't get this. Sure, people may not be hyper-miling their C5Z, but you can't flog the thing every time you drive. Even in cars like that sometimes (most of the time) you're just driving. My dad gets mid 20's driving his C5Z back and forth to work, that's more than I can say for any of my 4 cylinder cars. I think that's pretty relevant.
      "Anything measured in grams is infinitely more exciting than something measured in pounds" - JC
      1979 Volvo 242dl barn car save. Volvo b230ft engine swap, t5z trans, Holset HX35, megasquirt.
      http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=290558

08-22-2012 02:21 PM #70
      VTECeater - for reference, I recently picked up an AP1 just like the one you posted, but with half the mileage and cheaper in the Bay Area. For peace of mind I already changed the valve retainers on both the intake and exhaust sides. Kind of overkill to do it so early on since most people won't ever do it until or at least 80k-100k miles, but you never know with previous owners.

Most everything has already been mentioned in this thread. If you go check out the car, see if all VIN #'s match on all panels. There should be 10 of them. If any of them are missing it's a sign of an accident, replacement, stolen parts, etc. It's super hard to find one that hasn't been modified or salvaged.
      Last edited by Jerry_HEAVEN; 08-22-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-22-2012 07:09 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_HEAVEN View Post
      VTECeater - for reference, I recently picked up an AP1 just like the one you posted, but with half the mileage and cheaper in the Bay Area. For peace of mind I already changed the valve retainers on both the intake and exhaust sides. Kind of overkill to do it so early on since most people won't ever do it until or at least 80k-100k miles, but you never know with previous owners.

Most everything has already been mentioned in this thread. If you go check out the car, see if all VIN #'s match on all panels. There should be 10 of them. If any of them are missing it's a sign of an accident, replacement, stolen parts, etc. It's super hard to find one that hasn't been modified or salvaged.

How do you like the car? Is it a weekender?

On ANOTHER note, should I be considering the Miata? I've never driven one.

Vehicles
      A bicycle.
      08-22-2012 07:30 PM #72

I've had 3 S2000s and an NB Sport. I did not care for the Miata much. However, I was extremely uncomfortable in it due to the hard leather seats, so that may have biased me.

08-22-2012 07:34 PM #73

So far I love it. Then again I have another car that I drive to and from work, lug big stuff around, etc. I would drive it more often, but I need to get new tires & alignment. Pretty raw car and rewarding to drive.

I do plan on transitioning making the S2000 my daily once I get my tires and alignment squared away. I'll make my current car (Passat) a utility vehicle

I can't realistically comment on Miata's since the only one I've driven for about 10 minutes is a modified NA. IMO compared to a Miata the S2000 looks nicer and feels a bit bigger. Also has more power and revs to 8/9k.
      Last edited by Jerry_HEAVEN; 08-22-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      08-22-2012 08:11 PM #74

A wise man once described the S2000 as a "weaponized Miata.". I think that's pretty accurate. Miatas are awesome in the curves, but an S2000 can be fun on the straights AND in the turns.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      08-31-2012 04:13 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      A wise man once described the S2000 as a "weaponized Miata.". I think that's pretty accurate. Miatas are awesome in the curves, but an S2000 can be fun on the straights AND in the turns.
      Dammit. I'm so torn. My logical side says just keep the Jetta, my not so logical side says keep it and add an old miata....my heart is SCREAMING for an S2000 (and I'd probably have to get a beater 4 door).

This car just got $2k cheaper...

OMFG 9k!?!?!?!?! I could DEAD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast