Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Eurovan water leak on passenger floor.

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Eurovan, 2007 Honda Odyssey, 1997 Honda CRV, 1973 Porsche 914
      08-20-2012 04:23 PM #1
      I own a 2002 Eurovan. It has developed a water leak somewhere which accumulates at the front passenger floor. I spoke to a glass shop, and they said it may not necessarily be from the windshield weatherstrip, but could be leaking from the molding bead on the roof. Has anyone experienced any problems with their Eurovan or other model VW that leaked from the roof molding?

2. 08-20-2012 06:47 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Wong View Post
      I own a 2002 Eurovan. It has developed a water leak somewhere which accumulates at the front passenger floor. I spoke to a glass shop, and they said it may not necessarily be from the windshield weatherstrip, but could be leaking from the molding bead on the roof. Has anyone experienced any problems with their Eurovan or other model VW that leaked from the roof molding?
      Does your Eurovan have a sunroof that could be leaking?

Also I believe I've heard that there's the A/C condensation drain tube that drains somewhere under the shift lever and if it comes undone or plugged it could send water elsewhere (and I assume in HI you're using A/C in the humidity and summer heat?).

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Eurovan, 2007 Honda Odyssey, 1997 Honda CRV, 1973 Porsche 914
      08-20-2012 07:21 PM #3
      Thank you gti_matt. I do not have the sunroof model. But your suggestion regarding the AC hose sounds like a possible solution. The glass shop said it could be a lengthy process to find water leaks. Thank you very much.

4. 09-02-2012 11:35 PM #4
      I read somewhere that it can be due to debris (leaves etc) building up inside the front fender that let's water rise up enough to run in a plug.

To remedy, open your door and take a hose or power washer and spray it in the space behind the front fender near the door hinge.

You'll be surprised how much junk washes out.

You may have to do this several times, but it fixed mine.
      Formerly J_Westy (before I lost my password)
      Current Ride: 2005 Mini R53
      Past Rides: 2002 EVWK, '87 Syncro Weekender, '86 Syncro Van, '91 Westy, '91 Cabriolet, '63 Double Cab, '85 Scirocco, '70 Bug, '73 914

5. 09-03-2012 02:41 AM #5
      I'd concur w/ gti_matt as well; a month or two ago I ran the AC on our '93 since it was, well, pretty hot, and after a while I thought I felt something on my foot (I was driving barefooted), and sure enough it was water dripping onto my foot from under the dash, so I would have to surmise it's something connected to the AC system. Plugged drain tubes and the like are a good place to start looking.

J_Westy2 et al, have any of you guys taken off the front fender to get rid of the junk that accumulates in there or do you just blast it out with water? I saw that one of the guys from Oz had some pics of their T4 with the fender off and it was pretty surprising what ends up back there..

6. 09-04-2012 10:09 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by miguel indurain View Post
      I'd concur w/ gti_matt as well; a month or two ago I ran the AC on our '93 since it was, well, pretty hot, and after a while I thought I felt something on my foot (I was driving barefooted), and sure enough it was water dripping onto my foot from under the dash, so I would have to surmise it's something connected to the AC system. Plugged drain tubes and the like are a good place to start looking.

J_Westy2 et al, have any of you guys taken off the front fender to get rid of the junk that accumulates in there or do you just blast it out with water? I saw that one of the guys from Oz had some pics of their T4 with the fender off and it was pretty surprising what ends up back there..
      Unfortunately some T4s have welded fenders and some have bolt-on (I think short-hose are welded and long-nose are bolted) so if you really wanted to get in there by removing a fender, you could be out of luck depending on what one you have.

7. Member
      09-05-2012 06:59 PM #7
      I second Matt's thought on the A/C drain but have a squiz under the windscreen seal on the same side where the firewall section joins the side section...this is one of the first places that T4s begin to rust. Particularly if they have had a replacement screen. And this is the area that water gets in...

The other (remote) prospect is that the heater core is also located in the area above the passengers feet as well...