Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Brake assist release

Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2011 Duramax
      08-21-2012 04:50 AM #1
      My break assist seems to last a few seconds at most and then let's go. Are all of them that way?
      " If you buy a Honda, you end up, with a Honda.. Where as if you buy a Volkswagen, you don't. " - Clarkson

Vehicles
      '04 R32 '12 Golf R '14 SQ5
      08-21-2012 06:00 AM #2
      Yup...should only hold for about 2 secs

Vehicles
      Golf R 2DR Rising Blue
      08-21-2012 08:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GASMAN664 View Post
      ^this
      De-Soundaktor'd/Autolamps

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R CSG 4-Door Nav Sunroof
      08-21-2012 08:44 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GASMAN664 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
      ^this
      ^this

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 1992 VW GTI
      08-21-2012 08:52 PM #5
      I have heard elsewhere you can change the amount of time the brake holds via vagcom. I don't know any details, maybe someone else that does know will chime in.

6. 08-22-2012 01:47 AM #6
      Note too that if you rev the engine, it will release right away (say above 1200 RPM or something). So off the brake, on the gas, then let the clutch out. Definitely a different driving technique than if you are used to a "normal" car, where you let the clutch out a tad to keep you from rolling back. If you do that (as I had for quite a while) you'll find yourself fighting the stupid thing as it bogs you down...

I still dislike it, and will probably disable it when I get access to a vag-com setup (or buy my own), unless I learn to drive around it such that it stops being a nuisance.

-Fab

Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2011 Duramax
      08-22-2012 04:07 AM #7
      ive been in situations where ive needed to roll back a bit to get out. brake assist pretty much fixed that. call me old fashioned, but ill take my hand-break.
      " If you buy a Honda, you end up, with a Honda.. Where as if you buy a Volkswagen, you don't. " - Clarkson

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2011 Honda Ruckus
      08-22-2012 11:10 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ftillier View Post
      Note too that if you rev the engine, it will release right away (say above 1200 RPM or something). So off the brake, on the gas, then let the clutch out. Definitely a different driving technique than if you are used to a "normal" car, where you let the clutch out a tad to keep you from rolling back. If you do that (as I had for quite a while) you'll find yourself fighting the stupid thing as it bogs you down...

I still dislike it, and will probably disable it when I get access to a vag-com setup (or buy my own), unless I learn to drive around it such that it stops being a nuisance.

-Fab
      Dammit, why have I not figured this out yet?!? Too many years driving the CRX, so now I bog down too often trying to let the clutch out. Idiot!

9. 08-22-2012 11:59 AM #9
      The only thing i dislike, dare I say HATE it. Is the break assist. The only times I've ever stalled my car are when the brake assist is on and i bog down so hard I stall. Balls. stalling balls.

Edit: I can't believe how incredibly bad my spelling and grammar are. I'm leaving it just as a reminder.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      08-22-2012 12:12 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by NORSMAN View Post
      The only thing i dislike, dare I say HATE it. Is the break assist. The only times I've ever stalled my car are when the brake assist is on and i bog down so hard I stall. Balls. stalling balls.

Edit: I can't believe how incredibly bad my spelling and grammar are. I'm leaving it just as a reminder.
      Know anyone local with a VagCom? It's easy to turn off. I did mine the day after I took my car home. It was driving me nuts.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 1992 VW GTI
      08-22-2012 12:23 PM #11
      I actually really like the assist feature. I still use the handbrake in some instances, say if a hill is super steep, just in case I don't time it perfectly. I wish I could turn it on for an extended period of time. Ideally I would have it stay on until I either move the clutch, hit the brake or push the gas. I wouldn't mind being able to sit at a light for the entire length of the light and have the car stay put.

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      08-22-2012 12:29 PM #12
      its brakes damnit brakes

13. 08-22-2012 12:35 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by monkey7247 View Post
      Dammit, why have I not figured this out yet?!? Too many years driving the CRX, so now I bog down too often trying to let the clutch out. Idiot!
      Wish I could take credit for this, I was moaning about the hill hold thing in the what did you learn about your golf R thread (I think), and someone pointed out that if you hit the gas it releases right away. I assumed it would work like the Subaru setup in my mom's old Legacy, where it was linked to the clutch. The owner's manual is of no help, it doesn't tell you what will release it, and the conditions it lists for it releasing aren't accurate (e.g. must be in gear - nope, it works just fine in neutral)...

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      10-15-2012 05:53 PM #14
      I liked the hill assist. . . until I was trying to parallel park on a hill. It becomes like a game when you need to roll back a few inches in neutral when trying to park on a hill. A really annoying game. What would take me a few seconds to park. . . extends to: brake, wait for the release. . . brake. . . wait for the release. . . @%@$@. . . gas. . . brake. . . wait. . . brake. . . wait. . .@@#@ my wheel/curb. . . gas.

Otherwise, when sitting at a traffic light, and getting ready to go. . . it works. Trying to park, when I'm trying to inch my way into a tight spot, it's crap.

10-15-2012 06:23 PM #15
      I just discovered break-assist the other day. I think it's a cool feature that is helpful.
      2012 Golf R CSG 4dr Nav/Sunroof
      APR Stage I+ with VWR Intake
      Disconnected Soundaktor