Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B-52 crash at Fairchild AFB 1994

08-21-2012 08:10 AM #1
      I've seen the footage before and all I knew that the pilot was basically hotdogging it.

The story behind the crash:

Wow, I didn't know the pilot had a history of risky flying. That 30' clearing of a ledge is just nuts It's sad that this could have been prevented if the senior command gave a hoot and listened to the other pilots.

If you pause it at 2:21 and 2:22, you can see someone actually ejecting. But unfortunately, he was engulfed in the fireball. I understand that it was the co-pilot who ejected. I believe the navigator and the bombardier are seated downstairs so they eject downwards.

2. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lot's of Nike's
      08-21-2012 02:07 PM #2
      this video is pretty darn old

Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      08-21-2012 06:39 PM #3
      People here still talk about this...Some of the leadership did listen. Everyone on board was senior leadership as no one else would fly with him.

A KC-135 went down in about the same area a few years earlier, was part of a 135/B-52 demo team. They were supposed to do low level hook ups for airshows and such. Basically after the crash Boeing told them that neither aircraft should be in close proximity to each other and the ground at the same time, basically doing a 200ft AGL hook ups.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      some cars, some bikes...
      08-21-2012 07:55 PM #4
      I found the recent C-17 crash in Alaska to be eerily similar. Extreme bank angle, low altitude, slow speed. Very surprising that anyone in a cockpit doing mil demos nowadays wouldn't have had it drilled in their head, yet it happened again. This one I found even more horrible, as their stall lasted much, much longer than the B-52 event.

08-22-2012 09:04 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post

If you pause it at 2:21 and 2:22, you can see someone actually ejecting. But unfortunately, he was engulfed in the fireball. I understand that it was the co-pilot who ejected.
      What you see is the co-pilot's ejection hatch clear the aircraft, but he had initiated the eject sequence too late and did not eject. The Air Force report said "partial ejection". He was the one that went to the squadron leader and said none of his guys were allowed to fly with the guy who was in the left seat on that flight. Overall, sad story....and from the looks of it, was 100% preventable if the command had listened to the calls of risky flying the guy had a documented history of making

I never really looked more into the C-17 crash so I can't personally say it's a "similar" situation.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

6. Member
      08-22-2012 09:21 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post

I never really looked more into the C-17 crash so I can't personally say it's a "similar" situation.
      Similar in some ways, different in others...the crash was the result of the same bad decisions though.

08-22-2012 10:48 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Overall, sad story....and from the looks of it, was 100% preventable if the command had listened to the calls of risky flying the guy had a documented history of making
      I would like to know what cards the fellow accused of taking multiple unnecessary risks was holding in that other senior flyers would get into the cockpit with him rather than saying "**** you, not going", I have to assume they didn't want to risk their own careers by causing a big stink.

Maybe they figured that they could keep him under control if it wasn't someone of significantly less rank in the cockpit

8. 08-22-2012 11:45 AM #8
      I'm guessing it's that whole preservation of honor thing. If I remember correctly, this pilot was being pushed to retirement and this was his last flight. They probably figured he was wreckless but would keep his isht together for a final airshow and then they'd be rid of him.

Vehicles
      12' Golf R
      08-26-2012 04:45 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by kar_nut View Post
      I'm guessing it's that whole preservation of honor thing. If I remember correctly, this pilot was being pushed to retirement and this was his last flight. They probably figured he was wreckless but would keep his isht together for a final airshow and then they'd be rid of him.
      I don't believe it was he that was retiring, but the Vice Commander of the bomb wing there at FAFB who was just along for the ride. Very sad day that could have been prevented.
      Need Vag-Com in Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa? Send me a PM.

Instagram @smokey_llama

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI, 2007 Jetta
      08-27-2012 04:14 PM #10
      http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/p...e/darkblue.htm

Some interesting reading on this incident

08-27-2012 06:59 PM #11
      I remember that event. I witnessed it. Crazy.

I also remember being at Fairchild AFB air show when Mount St Helens erupted. The base went into full alert and every plane took off and headed east away from the approaching ash cloud. I was about 6 years old and remember clear as day. Very scary.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

12. Junior Member Cathay Pacific's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Messerschmitt BF-190G4/Trop
      09-22-2012 11:00 PM #12
      People should let Lt Col. Holland rest. Every year, some kid "discovers" that video.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      09-22-2012 11:06 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific
      People should let Lt Col. Holland rest...
      And the people he killed.
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog lights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Vehicles
      2010 Jeep WK 5.7L, 1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L
      09-23-2012 11:11 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
      People should let Lt Col. Holland rest. Every year, some kid "discovers" that video.
      I argue that "letting Lt Col. Holland rest" and forgetting this important lesson is a greater tragedy than the loss of the those 4 soles. In the Navy we say the NATOPS (our aircraft operating manual) is written in blood. This video is shown to every new military aviator during training and it is an important lesson in CRM, ORM, as well as a break down in the chain of command. Like it or not, learning from others tragic mistakes saves lives.
      2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited Lifted on 34's
      1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic under construction
      2015 BMW ///M4 Ordered

15. Member
      09-23-2012 10:47 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by USN_JeepWK View Post
      I argue that "letting Lt Col. Holland rest" and forgetting this important lesson is a greater tragedy than the loss of the those 4 soles. In the Navy we say the NATOPS (our aircraft operating manual) is written in blood. This video is shown to every new military aviator during training and it is an important lesson in CRM, ORM, as well as a break down in the chain of command. Like it or not, learning from others tragic mistakes saves lives.
      +1

Unfortunately this type of accident keeps repeating itself and the BUFF crash is a perfect training example. Our -1 (dash 1, USAF NATOPS equivalent), is the same, written in blood, and Hollands incident as well as many others are solid training tools.

Even as a copilot, I've dealt with the occassional aircraft commanders who have acted in similar ways and been moments from me saying "my airplane, we are done for the day." The Holland video and associated training materials are one of the examples that keep me watching even the most experienced ACs and instructor pilots.

Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      09-24-2012 05:01 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by yz1337 View Post
      +1

Unfortunately this type of accident keeps repeating itself and the BUFF crash is a perfect training example. Our -1 (dash 1, USAF NATOPS equivalent), is the same, written in blood, and Hollands incident as well as many others are solid training tools.
      All aircraft Tech Orders are this way.

I always tell the new troops we get, every Warning and Caution Note is there because someone in the past did that, and either killed themselves, another, damaged or destroyed a jet or equipment.

Like I'm sure some of you have seen the pictures of F-15 crew chief at Luke AFB in the 80s that blew himself up by "hot shotting" a tire at 2000+ psi
      "Volkswagen til the death" -dude bro in Honda Accord