Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our coming rentcropper society

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      09-14-2012 07:23 PM #36
      Theres opportunity here ......take advantage of the low rates, low prices and rental market growth and purchase an income property
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      09-27-2012 01:02 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Federal income tax rates in the US are very low by worldwide standards.
      I was in the 44% bracket when i worked in Ireland making half of what I make now. F that!
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

3. Senior Member
      10-05-2012 03:02 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      The growing income inequality is one problem but the bigger problem is the lack of mobility and that should bother everybody. You will have a large amount of people who will require low-cost access to housing, health care, education, and other essential needs, and if they aren't earning enough or being provided with some form of support, they will be basically economically stagnant and really not contributing anything to our nation's progress.
      Yes, it is lack of economic mobility that is of greater concern. The US has already fallen behind Europe in that respect in that an American is more likely to grow up into the same socioeconomic class as his/her father than a European is -- i.e. socioeconomic success or lack thereof depends on a greater degree of inherited socioeconomic status than one's own ability and effort in the US than in Europe.

Places with low economic mobility tend to have problems like political instability (e.g. poor otherwise-hopeless people grasping for straws offered by far-left politicians -- not exactly good for anyone, including the wealthy), crime (even if you are wealthy, do you really want to have to drive an armored car and hire bodyguards and other heavy security?), and less economic growth (if a lot of potential talent is wasted, the economy is smaller than it otherwise would be -- even the wealthy may find that their businesses and investments do less well if no one else has money to buy from them).

Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      This sword cuts both ways, and Republicans basically deny this reality, while Democrats pretend that it doesn't exist.
      Or the Democrats have no clue the problem exists and are not organized enough to do anything about it if they do figure out that it exists, while the Republicans seem to want to accelerate the problem with their emphasis on eliminating taxes on inheritance and reducing taxes for the top 1%.
      Last edited by tjl; 10-05-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      10-06-2012 09:18 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      Yes, it is lack of economic mobility that is of greater concern. The US has already fallen behind Europe in that respect in that an American is more likely to grow up into the same socioeconomic class as his/her father than a European is -- i.e. socioeconomic success or lack thereof depends on a greater degree of inherited socioeconomic status than one's own ability and effort in the US than in Europe.

Places with low economic mobility tend to have problems like political instability (e.g. poor otherwise-hopeless people grasping for straws offered by far-left politicians -- not exactly good for anyone, including the wealthy), crime (even if you are wealthy, do you really want to have to drive an armored car and hire bodyguards and other heavy security?), and less economic growth (if a lot of potential talent is wasted, the economy is smaller than it otherwise would be -- even the wealthy may find that their businesses and investments do less well if no one else has money to buy from them).

Or the Democrats have no clue the problem exists and are not organized enough to do anything about it if they do figure out that it exists, while the Republicans seem to want to accelerate the problem with their emphasis on eliminating taxes on inheritance and reducing taxes for the top 1%.
      In general, the people who need to move live in regions with an eroding middle class. Tampa. Phoenix. Las Vegas. Rust Belt. If you own a house there, you're not mobile even if you have 21st century job skills.

10-09-2012 09:23 PM #40
      This is why I purchased rentals before my own home.

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      10-11-2012 11:27 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      i.e. socioeconomic success or lack thereof depends on a greater degree of inherited socioeconomic status than one's own ability and effort in the US than in Europe.
      due in no small part, i suspect, to greater access to higher education in europe.
      thats quickly becoming only a pursuit of the well to do here in the us... education budget cuts, for the win!

Vehicles
      2012 SX4, 86 GTI track machine
      11-12-2012 04:22 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      My American dream is based on education (I still ave 50hrs of continued ed credits a year at age 47), working my a$$ off (I work 45-60 hrs a week for 25 yrs now), constantly setting realistic goals, constantly seeking greater challenges and networking (I've been in the same exact role at my employer 5.5 yrs and still interview for other opportunities 3-5x a year), not expecting any cushy entitlements and manipulating the system as best i can for my own benefit. Do all that and you'll be just fine.

Simple rule: you get out of life what you put into it!
      no offense man but that sounds like a ****ty life

8. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      11-14-2012 02:39 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by shadylurker View Post
      no offense man but that sounds like a ****ty life
      There's quite a nice monetary reward on the 15th and 30th of each month. Not to mention a 30% bonus paid every 2/15 (last yr it was > 50K). Plus 6 wks paid vacation and 10 paid holidays. Sorry to disappoint...but if you saw the quality of life for me, my wife and my 4 kids, my personal travel schedule, my hobbys, the charitable efforts I support, etc... I live the complete opposite of a ***ty life...thank you very much!

I stand by my..."you get out of life what you put into it" belief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12