Your fundamental issue is going to be access. Do you have an unfinished basement and attic?
When I did mine I had full attic and basement access with some good wire chase possibilities. It still sucked because of the electrical boxes. You have to get strain reliefs on all your wires where they enter boxes either by cable clamps on the boxes or nailing off the romex within 6" (I think) of the box. That means you need to get the box out of the wall - I don't think there are strain reliefs that go inside the box. So, in order to get the boxes out you have to pry them away from their attachements, typically nailed to wall studs. I destroyed the carp out of my surrounding plaster. After trying to be clean about it for a few boxes, and failing, I just ended up cutting 1' squares out everywhere and patching up with sheetrock.
I spent as much time doing rock work as the rewiring. I can't imaging how much of a cluster fuq it would have been if I had a finished attic - like I do now - or finished basement.