Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Weird network issues...help?

Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      08-21-2012 01:35 PM #1
      Now that I am back to school and my newly built desktop is working well (thanks to BRealistic) I am having weird network issues in my apartment.

First of all I have a wireless router in my room connected to a wall Ethernet port. This functioned well all last year. Now the router won't receive an IP address from that socket. Plugged it into a different one in the appartment and it worked just fine.

What do I tell the moron repair guys when I submit my work order, or how can I troubleshoot this myself?

Thanks very much!

Sent from my Inspire 4g using Tapatalk 2
      8v Society #372

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      08-21-2012 05:24 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Voices View Post
      Now that I am back to school and my newly built desktop is working well (thanks to BRealistic) I am having weird network issues in my apartment.

First of all I have a wireless router in my room connected to a wall Ethernet port. This functioned well all last year. Now the router won't receive an IP address from that socket. Plugged it into a different one in the appartment and it worked just fine.

What do I tell the moron repair guys when I submit my work order, or how can I troubleshoot this myself?

Thanks very much!

Tell them that they disconnected it at a splitter. I had an apartment in an old farmhouse that was converted over to two apartments, upstairs and downstairs. The cable went in the cellar and split four ways. Three went to three separate rooms in my apartment and the guy downstairs (unknown to me at the time) was stealing the cable signal from the people who lived there prior to me. I moved my service over and when TWC guy came over, they shut off the thief and two of my rooms and locked up the splitter. I had the TWC guy come back over and reconnect my other two rooms. The guy downstairs moved out and the next people moved in and another TWC guy came over, disconnected one of my rooms and hooked the new tenant downstairs back up. I caught the guy before he left and told him to quit screwing with my cable. Every time the tenant downstairs moved in or out, TWC unhooked the splitter and shut off a room or two in my apartment. I bet the same thing has happened there.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi S4/2002 Golf TDI
      08-21-2012 11:35 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Voices View Post

Thanks very much!

Is there a light when you plug in? If not, try a different cable... if it still doesn't work, tell them the network port in your room is not working.

If it is, tell them when you plug into the wall you have link but get no IP address.

Vehicles
      04 G35 coupe 6MT
      08-22-2012 10:19 AM #4
      Yes I do get a light when I plug it in. It's not the cable because it works in other ports around the house.

8v Society #372