Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Please help me get my first cabby on the road before summer is over! I need advice?

Vehicles
      1987 cabby, 1997 Mustang, 1998 Corsa, 2004 Stratus And some day a 62'-68' drop top Cadillac
      08-21-2012 02:33 PM #1
      Sorry its kinda long but please bare with me, I need some help with this..

My 87' is having issues that I can't seem to diagnose, Sometimes it starts right up, other times I have to crank on it for a while (10-15sec sometimes I have to do this twice) Sometimes it runs smoothish without surging or hesitiation (always has an intermitant misfire), other times it will spit and sputter and wont accelerate. It seems to do this worst when it has trouble starting.

I have only had the car for three days now and I test drove it two seperate days before that. Each time it Idled poorly when it first started for about 15sec while the red light in the middle of the the water temp guage was flashing (not sure what this light means???), the light goes out then it idles better (not perfect still has a slight misfire now and again). It ran fine the first test drive then the second test drive it ran fine for about 10 min then it had some surging power issues (like a bad misfire) for about 5sec straightened up for a few min then did it again for about 5sec then ran fine all the way home about 10-15 more min.

The next day (about 90 degrees out) I bought the car, took it straight to the gas station (about 8min from where I bought it) no problems. Filled up with gas, drove about 3min and it started doing the surging thing again (~5sec at a time). It did this 2 or 3 more times on the way home (15 min drive) a couple min apart. I shut the car off and let it set for about 2hrs and went to get in it again and it wouldnt start. I had to crank on it and floor the gas (I dont know if flooring it helped or not). It finally started but the idle was really rough. I looked around under the hood poked some things, gave it some dirty looks, grumled under my breath and tried again. It started easier this time but had no power when I tried to drive it. It had no power so I drove it about a quater mile and turned around and came home. next I tried adjusting the timing a couple degrees in both directions I was able to get it to run a little smoother. The I shut it off waited a couple hours and it wouldn't start again without cranking on it. So I reset the timing and left it set for the night.

The next day it started right up without any excessive cranking and has been doing so since, although it still idles rough for a few seconds until the light on dash in the middle of the temp guage quits flashing, I assume would surge If I drove it for very long but I have not tried.

What I know so far:

-red flashy light in water temp gauge when I first start it

-The previous owner for some reason bought injector O-rings but never installed them (found in the glove box)

-It is supposed to be CIS- Lambda but there is no O2 sensor installed (the cat does not even have a bung for one, I think it is an incorrect replacement cat) But there is what I believe is a wire for one tied up by the IACV

-the vac line to the charcoal canister in the driver side fender was disconnected and blocked of (I reconnected it, nothing changed)

-Cylinder 3 and 4 spark plugs are darker than 1 and 2 but still look dry (fancy pants 4 prong spark plugs)

-A mouse took up residence in the air box and ate clear through the air filter (has since been evicted)

-someone has replaced the fuel pump relay with an extra load reduction relay (marked #18. Instead of #62)

-The fan does not seem to be kicking on, but it does not over heat either, Temp guage seems to be working

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      08-21-2012 03:08 PM #2
      First of all, a disclaimer for my suggestions regarding troubleshooting fuel/idle issues: There are others here that can offer far more assistance in this area since I've yet to go through a lot of the issues with my '89 but at least it's CIS, as well. That being said, take a look here for additional troubleshooting research: http://www.cabby-info.com/fuel.htm.

(Edit: A link specifically for CIS: http://www.cabby-info.com/cis.htm)

A few flashes from the overheat light upon starting the car is normal.

If there were injector o-rings in the car, it sounds like the previous owner suspected a vacuum leak from the injectors. Perhaps they found that pulling the injectors was more difficult than expected and gave up on replacing them? When I replaced mine, I've no doubt it was the first time they'd been pulled and it took a monumental effort to pull the injectors, even using the proper tool that hooks around their base (I've three scars on the back of one of my hands from this experience... lol). My o-rings had turned into hard "plastic" and had to be a major source of vacuum leak. I discovered the same thing with the vacuum line fitting on the end of the head near the injectors, as well (there is another o-ring here).

I'm trying now to recall if there is an O2 sensor on our CIS cats... I don't recall one being there, though (someone correct my "fuzziness" here, if need be...). Check up on the exhaust manifold, though (yep, in one of the most difficult areas to see, much less work on...).

Has the fuel-filter been checked (wasn't that suggested in another post...? Sorry, memory's failing again... {chuckle})? Best thing I can suggest is working through the troubleshooting procedures via Kammy's pages and report back with your findings, otherwise even the most knowledgeable minds here will only be making wild guesses.

At least your mouse remained "outside"... I discovered mine back in 2001 while enroute to work as he made a mad dash from beneath the passenger seat to the dash, then back again...
      Last edited by native-texan_in_tn; 08-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

Vehicles
      1987 cabby, 1997 Mustang, 1998 Corsa, 2004 Stratus And some day a 62'-68' drop top Cadillac
      08-21-2012 04:05 PM #3
      I'll try pulling the injectors this weekend and replacing the o-rings, I should have time to fab up a tool for pulling them by then.. I have only visually inspected the fuel filter. It looks to be fairly new, plus it is held it place with several zip ties strung together So I'm guessing it has been replaced, but I'll replace it again for good measure. As for the O2 sensor I'll put it up on ramps tomorrow and take a closer look at the manifold. Hopefully there is at least a place for one.

Thanks
      Tyler

Vehicles
      08-21-2012 04:07 PM #4
      "Kammy's pages"??? never heard of it, can you give me a link please?

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Cabriolet
      08-21-2012 04:29 PM #5
      Kammy's pages refers to www.cabby-info.com

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet Best Seller '95 Ford Ranger XLT
      08-21-2012 04:30 PM #6
      "Kammy's pages"??? never heard of it, can you give me a link please?
      Sorry, I should've been more specific: http://www.cabby-info.com/. Her site is an invaluable resource...

As for putting the car up to see the O2 sensor, you won't have to since it should be visible from the top on top of the exhaust manifold back beneath the intake.
      Last edited by native-texan_in_tn; 08-21-2012 at 04:47 PM.
      My flying/aerial/scenic/transportation-related photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfr_photography/
      Cabriolet photography from years past: http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...usa/?start=all

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '74 Gitane Pista
      08-21-2012 06:21 PM #7
      Dump the fancy 4 prong plugs, install NGK BP6ETs.
      Here's an injector seal replacement and more write up
      http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cis-injector-cleaning/
      Fuel pumps, filter and relay are always suspects.
      vwvortex search is weak. Instead, type search terms site:http://forums.vwvortex.com into the google search box.
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 01:35 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      Dump the fancy 4 prong plugs, install NGK BP6ETs.
      Here's an injector seal replacement and more write up
      http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cis-injector-cleaning/
      Fuel pumps, filter and relay are always suspects.
      Thanks a lot, that link proved quite informative. And it answers why my fuel pump never shuts off. (PO put load reduction relay in place of fuel pump relay) I dont know if this is causing the drivability issues but I'm sure it isn't helping anything.

I take it from the link that it is good practice to change the holders at the same time as the seals???