Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 7 weeks in España.

Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      08-21-2012 02:55 PM #1
      So its looking like my adventure begins September 26th.

Going to be driving up to Logan to fly out to the A Coruña airport, dropping my bags off at my godfathers home and taking a train to St. Jean Piet de Port. From there, walking the Camino Frances all the way to Santiago de Compostela. Meeting my sister in Sarria and finishing the last 100km together hoping to be done by November 1st. Chilling a few days and then hoping to grab a rental and drive out to do a big lap of the country.

Have a cousin who live in the outskirts of Madrid, plus I want to see Madrid itself so I'll probably spend a day or two around that area. Next is Benitagla. My grandfather was born there, as well as their is a street with my full name in it so I wanted to go and see if I could talk to the town clerk, see if they have any kind of records of him or my family.

After that its mostly tourism so we're going to drive the coast to Gibraltar, then through Seville on the way back to Galicia.

Seeing the route we're most likely going to take, is there anything in particular thats a slight detour or along the way that those of you in Spain, or whom have visited recommend we check out or is a must see? Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-21-2012 04:29 PM #2
      I'm not very familiar with the rest of spain but I can def give you some pointers for galicia.

Definately wanna check out the Torre de Hercules in Coruna, and swing thru Ferrol - it's a nice city. Take a coastal drive from Coruna if you can, head West towards the AC-550 (name of the road). Use Fisterra as a reference point (great place to visit too), and head south from Fisterra along the Atlantic coast. The views are amazing, you'll be drive with beaches on one side and mountains on the other. There's plenty of mountains you can drive up for awesome views, and if you make it down to Puebla del Caraminal go to the mountain "A Curota", it's one of the biggest in the area, and you can see the whole bay (Ria de Aurosa) and even the Atlantic.

Also, if you have time, check out Las Islas Cies, great spot. More of a summer time thing tho.

Best of luck on the peregrinaje to Santiago de Compostela, something I def wanna do as well. The Basque Country has a lot of history, you might wanna set some time to check it out. Great wine country there and the neighboring community La Rioja.

When you get to Asturias check out "Los Picos de Europa".

If anything occurs to me i'll chime in again. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Also, a friend of mine has a travel agency here in the city and i'm sure can help you out somehow.

Vehicles
      08-21-2012 05:00 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by T.Pego View Post
      I'm not very familiar with the rest of spain but I can def give you some pointers for galicia.

Definately wanna check out the Torre de Hercules in Coruna, and swing thru Ferrol - it's a nice city. Take a coastal drive from Coruna if you can, head West towards the AC-550 (name of the road). Use Fisterra as a reference point (great place to visit too), and head south from Fisterra along the Atlantic coast. The views are amazing, you'll be drive with beaches on one side and mountains on the other. There's plenty of mountains you can drive up for awesome views, and if you make it down to Puebla del Caraminal go to the mountain "A Curota", it's one of the biggest in the area, and you can see the whole bay (Ria de Aurosa) and even the Atlantic.

Also, if you have time, check out Las Islas Cies, great spot. More of a summer time thing tho.

Best of luck on the peregrinaje to Santiago de Compostela, something I def wanna do as well. The Basque Country has a lot of history, you might wanna set some time to check it out. Great wine country there and the neighboring community La Rioja.

When you get to Asturias check out "Los Picos de Europa".

If anything occurs to me i'll chime in again. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Also, a friend of mine has a travel agency here in the city and i'm sure can help you out somehow.
      Great info Pego, I'll definitely look into all of those. Appreciate the offer, but I think I should be all set for now. I just wish they offered a something a bit sportier for a rental that wasn't super expensive. Even like a GTI for a day or two or something....spoiled by living in America. Went to Disney with a few buddies last month, airport rental parking garage was filled with Mustang GT's, Camaro SS's, G37 Sedans... I even saw some Corvettes as we walked by to get into our pile of hot garbage Chevy Sonic . I just want something with a firmer ride, and not 65 profile tires.
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      '02 Passat (FOR SALE!) | '12 El Antra | '12 Cannondale | '09 Rollerblade | '84 Chevrolegs |
      08-21-2012 05:07 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      Great info Pego, I'll definitely look into all of those. Appreciate the offer, but I think I should be all set for now. I just wish they offered a something a bit sportier for a rental that wasn't super expensive. Even like a GTI for a day or two or something....spoiled by living in America. Went to Disney with a few buddies last month, airport rental parking garage was filled with Mustang GT's, Camaro SS's, G37 Sedans... I even saw some Corvettes as we walked by to get into our pile of hot garbage Chevy Sonic . I just want something with a firmer ride, and not 65 profile tires.
      no problem man. you def could get yourself in an A3, prob gonna be diesel, but you're better off with that anyway cuz it's not like here, the diesel prices are cheaper than gas, and gas is waaaay up there in spain.

Yea, i was in orlando twice this year and saw a bunch of those cars too, a lot of convertibles... while i got in my camry. lol

Vehicles
      08-21-2012 05:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by T.Pego View Post
      no problem man. you def could get yourself in an A3, prob gonna be diesel, but you're better off with that anyway cuz it's not like here, the diesel prices are cheaper than gas, and gas is waaaay up there in spain.

Yea, i was in orlando twice this year and saw a bunch of those cars too, a lot of convertibles... while i got in my camry. lol
      haha. Yeah I don't mind diesel, I just don't want something with really tall sloppy tires and soft dampening. That combination is horrific. I had to make an emergency 5g lane change in the Sonic, I thought we were going to damn near roll over. I'm more of a "spirited" driver lol. A3 would probably be perfect. I found the cheapo Ford Ka and similar stuff for <$200 US. Wish they had specialty rentals though with sweet hot hatches. Hell at this rate I'd be estatic to drive a Insignia VXR but I know they'll just have vanilla Insignia's.
      '09 Honda Ruckus