VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

it sucks but it had to go!!!! VR6-t to 1.8T

172K views 661 replies 77 participants last post by  troye 
#1 · (Edited)
I know what your thinking. Why in the world would you swap a 450HP VR6-T engine for an Audi TT 180HP. Well it was a almost very easy. I've had it for 8 years of countless hours...... 4 transmissions.....you know. The biggest thing was;which its crazy. It was also my daily driver. Being that I'm in the NAVY the luxury of having a third car when bouncing from here to there it becomes too much. I had to make a decision to get rid of the Corrado (Not an Option!!! I told the wife) or get a fun engine that can be reliable and I can have fun with. I looked at the the 1.8T and it became obvious the direction i was going. So I found a 1.8T from an Audi. I wanted to share my swap with you guys and hopefully it can help anyone.

just picked it up.

It will be missed!!.

It fits.

See less See more
#461 ·
Im in the same boat. The Wavetrac seems to be operating a bit different, but if you could tell when driving .. (?)
I have in some sort ended up beeing satisfied with the saying of Corrado-correr - anything would be much, much better then the open diff. Buuut ofc you want the best one available when first doing it.

Look forward to that shifter upgrade! You will thank DieselGeek later and smile like a kid.

#469 ·
So as you know, I have an AGU (big port) engine that I'm planning on bringing with me back to the US. An opportunity presented itself for me to get an Audi TT 225 APX engine with everything except the transmission. The only issue is, I could only bring one with me to the states. My plan is to strip the AGU to the last nut and bolt and bring it back that way. I just can’t believe I got a complete Audi TT 225 engine with 78k. This project just got complicated. With the low 9:1 compression ratio of the APX and the large port of the AGU 🤦🏾‍♂️. The possibilities. What do you guys think?
Gas Corded phone Telephone Machine Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Green Automotive design

#470 ·
Additionally, I was able to get the 312mm brake swap for $100. Everything in the picture. All I need now is the washers G60ING used and the longer carrier bolt. I mean, the Corrado (Vicky) has been parked for 4 years in a garage so she needed brakes right. I think it’s a solid reason 😬.
Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system Headlamp Auto part Gas

#471 ·
I mean, the Corrado (Vicky) has been parked for 4 years in a garage so she needed brakes right. I think it’s a solid reason 😬.
Hahaha :ROFLMAO:
Thank you for sharing the excuse you use.! Its mos def enough of a reason.

Nice find on the APX !
So the plan is APX bottom end and AGU head ?

#476 ·
I have MK3 11.3 brakes already in the Corrado. These are Audi TT 225 12.3 312mm rotor brakes. I’ll have these till I finish sourcing out my Porsche 986 brakes. I’m shipping these to where the car is.

#478 ·
Received the Porsche calipers today. They look really good. I will clean them up and install them with new pads. I did try to slide them in to the rotor and they did not go in because of the post on the brakes. Any suggestions? I wonder if these Japanese rotors are thicker than the ones I’m the US. Besides that, they are awesome. I’m planning on ordering the bracket today. I couldn’t believe how much lighter they are than the stock brakes it’s crazy.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wood Natural material Hay Composite material Rectangle

Automotive tire Camera lens Tread Tire Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Table Automotive exterior

#480 ·
Hahaha, new meaning for a crate engine. I remember being in an Austrian VW dealership when the Mk IV R32 debuted. I was practically licking the car while my wife was complaining we needed to go get gelato. Cruelty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha
Reactions: izcorrado18
#485 ·
Did some work today during lunch. I removed the AGU head from the block. I will be tearing apart thins engine and taking everything with me except the block. I’m taking the crank too 🤣
Gas Engineering Machine Auto part Metal

Gas Automotive tire Electrical wiring Machine Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Engineering Motor vehicle Gas

#486 ·
Well, look at what came in the mail. Came in complete even with a shifter. It’s a shifter box out of a Lupo 6 speed. Same part number as the Polo. It even has a date. It’s so clean. Pretty excited.
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Hardwood Wood stain

Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gas

Wood Road surface Asphalt Grey Beige

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive fuel system

Auto part Gas Metal Titanium Bicycle part

Road surface Wood Flooring Floor Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Bumper Road surface

#490 ·
Got all the polo parts all cleaned up and ready to go in my household goods. I will replaces the wheel bearings. I’ll be doing the vented swap when I do the Porsche front brakes with the 25mm master cylinder. I need to still source that out.
Automotive tire Grey Black-and-white Font Circle

#496 ·
Decided to hide the AGU block in with my "uniforms 🤣. I think it will pass. I was able to stuff it in a box that gets locked. The engine now is inside. I will get some desiccants to keep the moisture away from the engine. A 1.8T with just a crank is not that heavy. I remove everything except the crank. I was going to remove the crank but what better way to preserve the crank than still installed. The block is in great shape. My goal now is to get this block built and use my current installed engine to test the harness and anything else. So many options now with 3 engines 🫣.
Grass Rectangle Brick Road surface Gas

Creative arts Art Pattern Plastic Transparent material
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior
Yellow Gas Font Rectangle Composite material

Plastic Event Plastic wrap Auto part Packing materials

#498 ·
I did install the Spoonfedtuning trunk parcel tray straps. Pretty sweet to have it come up. While this install I found out the trunk struts are bad 🤦🏾‍♂️. The trunk hit me on the head.
Sleeve Material property Font Cable Bag

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Sleeve

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle door