Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: becoming a mechanic without schooling

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      08-21-2012 08:27 PM #1
      just a random question, is it possible to become a mechanic without going to school for it
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.

Vehicles
      Mk6 gti
      08-21-2012 08:38 PM #2
      Yes , be at the right place and time. Where I work they just hired a girl about 2 months ago who didn't know anything about cars.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      08-21-2012 09:15 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by FNG21222 View Post
      Yes , be at the right place and time. Where I work they just hired a girl about 2 months ago who didn't know anything about cars.

i work at a dealer now as a new car detailer. im gonna to ask if i can start doing simple stuff to the cars

Vehicles
      Mk6 gti
      08-21-2012 09:40 PM #4
      Worst they can say is no. I work at a Mercedes dealer and we have 1 guy who came from our car wash and detail shop.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      08-21-2012 10:02 PM #5
      Worst they can say is no. I work at a Mercedes dealer and we have 1 guy who came from our car wash and detail shop.

your right, doesnt hurt to ask

Vehicles
      Mk6 gti
      08-21-2012 10:20 PM #6
      Good luck.

7. Banned
      09-23-2012 08:05 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by hussdog426 View Post
      just a random question, is it possible to become a mechanic without going to school for it
      Working on cars SUCKS. Become a sewer technician or dog food sampler before thinking of being a mechanic.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      09-23-2012 08:38 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Quattro Krant View Post
      Working on cars SUCKS. Become a sewer technician or dog food sampler before thinking of being a mechanic.
      i like working on cars, though

Vehicles
      Mk6 gti
      09-23-2012 10:45 PM #9
      So did you try for the position ?

sent from a Samsung Galaxy s3

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      09-24-2012 01:36 PM #10
      So did you try for the position ?

sent from a Samsung Galaxy s3
      I did, but they aren't looking for any more mechanics at the moment. They said when a mechanic leaves is when they will consider me

11. Banned
      09-24-2012 01:57 PM #11
      No, you don't. And them saying they aren't looking for anymore techs is a blessing in disguise

Vehicles
      Volvo C30 T5 6sp manual / Mazda5 5sp manual
      10-01-2012 01:08 AM #12
      I worked on my car today--and that got pretty old after a couple hours.

I can't imagine working on cars 5 days a week for 10, 20, 30 years.

13. Member
      10-02-2012 03:12 PM #13
      apply to jiffylube,mavis,firestone,monroes,sts or some comanys like that, its a start where they hire people and teach them stuff,but to really learn u have to be hands on yourself and do alot of reading, plus since ur in new jersey u should go to u.t.i

14. Member
      10-02-2012 03:33 PM #14
      also i you can go to mechanic shops or even body shops and be a helper and work ur way up to gain ur knowledge quicker

15. Banned
      10-02-2012 05:51 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      I worked on my car today--and that got pretty old after a couple hours.

I can't imagine working on cars 5 days a week for 10, 20, 30 years.
      Ever meet a tech over the age of 35 who isn't completly miserable?

Quote Originally Posted by CASH CURES A.D.D
      apply to jiffylube,mavis,firestone,monroes,sts or some comanys like that, its a start where they hire people and teach them stuff,but to really learn u have to be hands on yourself and do alot of reading, plus since ur in new jersey u should go to u.t.i
      Really? F'ING REALLY????????? The places you listed SUCK SO MUCH. They have complete retards working there who need instructions on the proper technique for breathing. I can not think of a worse place to start then the places you listed.

16. Member
      10-02-2012 06:04 PM #16
      well its a start and thats what i did, and i did side jobs to make more money,and i gained more experience,so i can get a better job and get paid more i dont see what the problem is. and i never met a unhappy 35 year old tech..because all the techs ive meet in my life from working in dealers are making money. the key is do sides jobs,because in the dealership world if ur advisor sucks and he or she cant sell squat, then u are not making money.
      Last edited by CASH CURES A.D.D; 10-02-2012 at 06:08 PM.

17. 10-03-2012 07:20 PM #17
      You won't after about a month. I was a mechanic for a few years. I suppose if it came down to starving and turning wrenches again, I'd do it but it would be a tough choice.

18. Banned
      10-04-2012 07:33 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CASH CURES A.D.D View Post
      the key is do sides jobs,because in the dealership world if ur advisor sucks and he or she cant sell squat, then u are not making money.
      Just what I want to do after working on cars all day at work is work on them at home as "side jobs."And "side jobs=" broke ass kids who can't pay for $hit and have no money and want "pay" you in a). beer b). pizza SWEET! Sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84
      You won't after about a month. I was a mechanic for a few years. I suppose if it came down to starving and turning wrenches again, I'd do it but it would be a tough choice.
      I'd be down for loosing a few pounds. As long as I get water.

19. 10-13-2012 10:48 AM #19
      yes, it's possible, i started without training.
      like any other job, some people truly have talent and passion for it, others don't.
      i've met several unhappy techs, if it's just a job it's a miserable one.
      if it's the way you most like to spend your time it is a very satisfying and fun line of work.
      find a shop that will give you a chance and try it, if you love it, GO TO SCHOOL in order to advance your career quickly to your ideal position.
      good luck!

20. Banned
      10-13-2012 09:23 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubfixer View Post
      find a shop that will give you a chance and try it, if you love it, GO TO SCHOOL in order to advance your career quickly to your ideal position.
      good luck!
      Yes! Go spend thousands of dollars in school to start out making $9/hour and need thousands of dollars worth of tools! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, OP, being a tech is about more then putting fggt ait ride on sweet VW's. I highly suggest you look into a better career choice. McDonalds/Burger King/street cleaner/ditch digger/anything other then a mechanic.
      Last edited by Quattro Krant; 10-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.

21. Member
      10-14-2012 01:50 AM #21
      quattro dude is mad as **** lmao

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      10-14-2012 02:57 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by CASH CURES A.D.D View Post
      quattro dude is mad as **** lmao
      He is, all you got to do is give a simple answer, not a whole damn story behind it

23. Member
      10-14-2012 10:52 AM #23
      lol

24. Banned
      10-24-2012 08:47 AM #24
      He is, all you got to do is give a simple answer, not a whole damn story behind it
      Dude, I'm trying to save you from deciding to work on cars. CARS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I once enjoyed cars and thought they were cool and fun and modifying them was where it's at. Then, I went into business for myself selling cars. Now nothing would bring me greater joy then crushing every car on the planet with a 60 ton bulldozer. You think that because you and all your dude bro friends think air ride is sweet and working on each others cars is fun, that you want to be a tech? I can not stress enough just how much cars suck and how much working on them sucks. What is the extent of your automotive ability? Putting brakes on?

But, I'm an a$$hole, so don't take my advice, become a mechanic, and see how awesome it is. You can email me when you realize I was right. I predict it will be right about the time you spent $xx,xxx on tools and realized you are going to start out at $9/hr at Firestone/Mr Lube because no dealer is going to hire a tech without $xx,xxx in schooling, plus $xx,xxx in tools. Enjoy.

Vehicles
      98 GLX
      10-24-2012 08:21 PM #25
      This. Absolutely this.

Working on cars all day sucks.

So you really enjoy working on your own car and maybe your friends car everyonce and awhile.

The field is horrible. Do yourself a favor and don't make the same mistake I did and don't make your hobby a job.

We are extremely overworked, underpaid group.

Compare it to a doctor, you have a complicated medical problem, okay you go to the doctor, try a medicine, treatment etc.. Doesn't work, doctor consults a second opinion, tries something else. Try that in the automotive field, diagnose a problem incorrectly, doesn't fix it,customers pissed, writer/managers pissed, and guess what, you get to figure it out/re diagnose it for free.

Think you're gonna make a ton of money? Nothing's more frustrating than fixing everyone else's car all day and barely being able to afford fix your own. Or how about the day the snap-on guy comes and takes $100. Weekly.

And flat rate... Oh god. Don't even get me started. No work? Tough break. Spend 4 hours diagnosing a complex problem and writer calls the customer and they don't even want to fix it because its too expensive? Oh that sucks for you, pull it out!

I mean sure, there are people that are extremely talented and can make Good money doing it. But it takes years to master every aspect of it and not lose your ass from time to time.

All I'm saying is give it some serious thought before considering it. It's a make or break field, you either have it or you don't. You're either really good at it or your changing tires and oil the rest of your life.

Just my two cents.
      Last edited by PepsiFiend69; 10-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Vehicles
      1996 Olds Cutlass Ciera
      10-25-2012 09:02 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by PepsiFiend69 View Post
      This. Absolutely this.

Working on cars all day sucks.

So you really enjoy working on your own car and maybe your friends car everyonce and awhile.

The field is horrible. Do yourself a favor and don't make the same mistake I did and don't make your hobby a job.

We are extremely overworked, underpaid group.

Compare it to a doctor, you have a complicated medical problem, okay you go to the doctor, try a medicine, treatment etc.. Doesn't work, doctor consults a second opinion, tries something else. Try that in the automotive field, diagnose a problem incorrectly, doesn't fix it,customers pissed, writer/managers pissed, and guess what, you get to figure it out/re diagnose it for free.

Think you're gonna make a ton of money? Nothing's more frustrating than fixing everyone else's car all day and barely being able to afford fix your own. Or how about the day the snap-on guy comes and takes $100. Weekly.

And flat rate... Oh god. Don't even get me started. No work? Tough break. Spend 4 hours diagnosing a complex problem and writer calls the customer and they don't even want to fix it because its too expensive? Oh that sucks for you, pull it out!

I mean sure, there are people that are extremely talented and can make Good money doing it. But it takes years to master every aspect of it and not lose your ass from time to time.

All I'm saying is give it some serious thought before considering it. It's a make or break field, you either have it or you don't. You're either really good at it or your changing tires and oil the rest of your life.

Just my two cents.

Ever meet a tech over the age of 35 who isn't completly miserable?
      I have worked in the parts department of 2 dealers in 11 years. Above is 100% the truth. Only thing they missed is the benefits are non existent. They will not contribute to your 401k, you will pay around $120 a month for health care if you add a spouse it will be $400 a month. If you want to work on cars/trucks get a job with your county or if you are local to a major metro system try and get a job servicing there vehicles. Good luck either way, it is an extremely hard job to do and be profitable at. Learn while you are young before you have a family relying on you bring home a good pay check every week.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      10-25-2012 12:30 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by YEAHTOM View Post
      I have worked in the parts department of 2 dealers in 11 years. Above is 100% the truth. Only thing they missed is the benefits are non existent. They will not contribute to your 401k, you will pay around $120 a month for health care if you add a spouse it will be $400 a month. If you want to work on cars/trucks get a job with your county or if you are local to a major metro system try and get a job servicing there vehicles. Good luck either way, it is an extremely hard job to do and be profitable at. Learn while you are young before you have a family relying on you bring home a good pay check every week.
      I appreciate all the concern and understand how bad it is, but I'm only 20 and working now at a dealer, and when I get free time, I learn from the techs on how to do things with the car

Vehicles
      2006 VW GLI, 2001 Audi S4
      11-04-2012 08:31 PM #28
      I appreciate all the concern and understand how bad it is, but I'm only 20 and working now at a dealer, and when I get free time, I learn from the techs on how to do things with the car
      If you aren't working hands on with cars all day it will take a very long time. I've been working on cars since I was 10. When I turned 18 I decided to make it my job. I worked in a body shop for a few months before I was going to start school. One week before school started I decided I could make a living without school. I then moved to a race shop sweeping floors and washing cars, they were shocked I showed up with my snapon tool box full of tools and actually know what I'm doing. They gradually allowed me to do more things eventually becoming one of the main techs by 22. I then got back into body work in the restoration part of the same business. Now I'm working on $15 million ferraris and other exotic vintage cars at 24. You really need to apply yourself and put 150% into it and have your hands on a car everyday.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GLI, 10 tundra, 12 rzr xp4
      11-05-2012 09:16 AM #29
      Quatrros's about got things covered in here. I work on cars, i make a lot of money working on cars. I now hate cars....

30. 11-06-2012 02:45 PM #30
      I started in detail. Spent 10 months there, showed them I wasn't a complete dumbass. Now I've been a VW tech for a year +. No schooling or formal training. Next year I get sent to the Volkswagen Academy to get factory training. Pretty excited Either you're cut out for it our you're not. After all, it is just bolts and wiring...

Vzw 4g tapatalk2

31. Banned
      11-06-2012 08:21 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
      Now I'm working on $15 million ferraris and other exotic vintage cars at 24.
      Congratulations. You know who the real winner is? The person who owns the Ferrari, not the poor bastard working on it. Fuk cars.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, MKIV TDI
      11-21-2012 11:31 AM #32
      Listen to Quattro and if you decide to do it anyway, then at the very least stay far far away from VW. For some reason VW thinks the Nazi's won the war and that forced labor camps are a fine way to treat their technicians. Oh and the best part about being a tech? The better you are, the harder they **** you up the ass. If you do go into the field make damn sure you don't do a great job, just do well enough not to get yelled at, otherwise you'll get all of the "C\S Vehicle makes a noise when making a right hand turn on so and so street, while doing 23.4 mph, not signaling, when the outside temperature is 43.1 F, and it is 6:05 PM".
      Last edited by einvolk; 11-21-2012 at 11:40 AM.
      Brought to you by Carl's Jr ©

33. 11-24-2012 12:47 PM #33
      Lol! So true.

Vzw 4g tapatalk2

Vehicles
      current- 14' TE 4runner---previous 2013 335I, 2012 Tundra 4x4, 04 Audi A4, 02 GTi 1.8T, 88 90q
      11-25-2012 06:07 PM #34
      Quattro is right, But i dont try and work on side jobs as it will kill my passion for cars just so i can earn a few extra bucks. If i do side jobs i try to sneek it in my dealer so they wont notice has to be the same make otherwise i will not work on it. Working for a dealer is pretty easy, a few people i know started with no school and make damn good money. If you have common sense and know what your doing you can catch on quick. This year is my best year and i doubt i will make more if anything less next year, for some reason every week i've been getting 95+ hours a week for 3-4 months, only work 5 days a week and stay late once in a while...

Long story short i wish everyday i went to school for something else, This job you max out fast, benefits suck big time, hard on your body, they treat you like crap at time.
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD 7.3@102mph 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--
      13' BMW 335i M-sport EBII

Vehicles
      99 golf, 03 jetta
      12-17-2012 09:12 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by O2VW1.8T View Post
      Quattro is right, But i dont try and work on side jobs as it will kill my passion for cars just so i can earn a few extra bucks. If i do side jobs i try to sneek it in my dealer so they wont notice has to be the same make otherwise i will not work on it. Working for a dealer is pretty easy, a few people i know started with no school and make damn good money. If you have common sense and know what your doing you can catch on quick. This year is my best year and i doubt i will make more if anything less next year, for some reason every week i've been getting 95+ hours a week for 3-4 months, only work 5 days a week and stay late once in a while...

Long story short i wish everyday i went to school for something else, This job you max out fast, benefits suck big time, hard on your body, they treat you like crap at time.
      lmao 90 hours a week and you stay late some times wtf? i stay late and try to break 40 its so fkin slow in the car field now days people only do the minimum to stay on the road. this job might of been good in the past but in our country's current state it doesn't pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast