Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Ethernet Splitter?

Vehicles
      02 Jetta 2.slow
      08-21-2012 11:25 PM #1
      So I'm starting school in about two weeks and the dorm I'm staying in has no wifi and has one ethernet port in the room. I would like to have my laptop, and my xbox (with live) working. I was doing some research on some type of splitter that would take that one port and turn it into 2, but I found that sometimes you can't use both devices simultaneously. Is this true?

"splitter" example- http://ethernetsplitterhowto.files.w...o-go.jpg?w=640

Any help or suggestions for my problem is appreciated. Thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi S4/2002 Golf TDI
      08-21-2012 11:29 PM #2
      Buy a switch off of newegg or even at best buy. Should run you under $50.

You could also get a router as well that has wireless built in from either place.

Vehicles
      02 Jetta 2.slow
      08-21-2012 11:32 PM #3
      yeah I think I'm gonna go with a cheaper switch I am finding some pretty decent ones for around 20 bucks, thanks man

08-22-2012 09:35 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 1stRabbit View Post
      Buy a switch off of newegg or even at best buy. Should run you under $50.

You could also get a router as well that has wireless built in from either place.
      Ooh. Yeah...go the router route. And QoS your roommates web traffic to like 56k while you're downloading movies full speed. Youtube it. No wait...since you'll have enough bandwidth, stream it!!
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler
      08-22-2012 10:16 AM #5
      Go with a router because it will only let the other end see a single device where a hub/switch will let them see every device you have.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      08-22-2012 12:19 PM #6
      Yea, you definitely want to get a router in this situation.

7. 08-22-2012 12:41 PM #7
      Wireless router also gets my vote in this situation. You get both ethernet and wireless. Make sure you lock that bitch down!

08-22-2012 01:08 PM #8
      You definitely want a router as it's possible that they will only give out 1 ip address to that port.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      08-22-2012 02:46 PM #9
      Actually I would say go with a simple switch. There is no need for a router here and I HIGHLY doubt they will limit you to one device on the drop.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

08-22-2012 03:04 PM #10
      A basic router is not much more expensive than a switch, and it gives him all sorts of flexibility that he doesn't get otherwise. Specifically, he can disable DHCP if necessary and still have 4 Ethernet ports plus a wireless access point.

Being limited to one device per port happens to me all the time in my travels.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      2003 BMW 330i, 2002 Toyota Appliance
      08-22-2012 03:36 PM #11
      I'm with zhenya00 just because the price difference is going to be close to nothing, but you get more options at your disposal. You can get a perfectly good wifi N router for $25 or a desktop switch for $10.
      I always plug in USBs right the first time.

Vehicles
      2000 Cabrio 2.0 \ 2013 FRS
      08-22-2012 04:13 PM #12
      Sigh.... Get a switch. If you put a router in your room and you need to access network resources, like a share drive or what have you thats on the other side of the router, you cant without some lightly more advanced configuration. Switch is simple, plug in ethernet cables, apply power to power port. Done.

13. 08-22-2012 05:36 PM #13
      One problem with a switch is if the college has the dorms wired for 1 IP per drop. I don't know why but I thought I remembered dorms being configured that way at some colleges and even apartment complexes in college.

08-22-2012 06:45 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SirSpectre View Post
      Sigh.... Get a switch. If you put a router in your room and you need to access network resources, like a share drive or what have you thats on the other side of the router, you cant without some lightly more advanced configuration. Switch is simple, plug in ethernet cables, apply power to power port. Done.
      See above.

It's perfectly possible to disable routing and still have a 4 port switch plus a wireless access point, and in a college dorm, it won't be hard to find help configuring that if necessary.
      Last edited by zhenya00; 08-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      2000 Cabrio 2.0 \ 2013 FRS
      08-22-2012 07:04 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      See above.

It's perfectly possible to disable routing and still have a 4 port switch plus a wireless access point, and in a college dorm, it won't be hard to find help configuring that if necessary.
      Yes, but that is still more configuration than is necessary.

08-22-2012 07:08 PM #16
      Yes, but that is still more configuration than is necessary.
      To gain wifi?

LOL.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      02 Jetta 2.slow
      08-22-2012 11:32 PM #17
      I would love a router, I have no problem hiding one as I've heard some kids do here. I'm under the impression they don't want everyone hooking router's up. My problem is how do I "hide" it from anyone seeing there's a router hooked up some where in the building. I'm sure there's a way to prevent your router from sending out a signal?

A switch will work for pure functionality and I feel if I had that connected for my computer and xbox no one will have a problem with that? Opinions are great!

08-23-2012 09:40 AM #18
      Hard to do if they actually look for it. In routing mode, it will only occupy one ip address, but any network monitor will figure out fairly quickly that there is more than one device there.

You can set the wifi not to broadcast, but again, anyone who wants to look will find it quickly.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      08-23-2012 09:45 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by smurphy521 View Post
      I would love a router, I have no problem hiding one as I've heard some kids do here. I'm under the impression they don't want everyone hooking router's up. My problem is how do I "hide" it from anyone seeing there's a router hooked up some where in the building. I'm sure there's a way to prevent your router from sending out a signal?

A switch will work for pure functionality and I feel if I had that connected for my computer and xbox no one will have a problem with that? Opinions are great!
      I don't know why admins would have a problem with a router, unless it was for ease of potential troubleshooting problems. Routers separate networks, and you would have your own private network behind the router.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

08-23-2012 10:04 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      I don't know why admins would have a problem with a router, unless it was for ease of potential troubleshooting problems. Routers separate networks, and you would have your own private network behind the router.
      Network admins don't like extra routers because they mask the connected devices behind it, making isolating problems or troublemakers more difficult. Still, that seems overly controlling in a normally pretty lenient university environment.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

21. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2012 12:52 PM #21

Well, i'd say to utilize a router/access point if you need wireless access for your xbox or your phone. Otherwise it's really unnecessary for connectivity. If they will remove your access and warn you because you utilize a router i'd strongly suggest against it. A router is easy to spot just by looking at the mac address that's connected to the port. Each device has a hardware address that is unique. They look up the first 6 digits and will be able to tell it's a linksys or whatever brand router you buy.

Some routers however do let you spoof or change the MAC, however.

Advice:

If you absolutely need wireless, get a router.
      If you don't need wireless, just get a basic 1gig 5 or 8 port switch from newegg.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      08-23-2012 01:12 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by PhReE View Post
      Actually I would say go with a simple switch. There is no need for a router here and I HIGHLY doubt they will limit you to one device on the drop.
      You wouldn't put your computer on your ISP's network without a router, why would you do it at a college? It's a layer of protection and the OP is in college- guaranteed there are dip****s on that network trying to gain access to other people's computers.
      Last edited by Hostile; 08-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan 1.4T Manual
      08-23-2012 01:24 PM #23
      As an IT person who has spent time in college and dorms, USE A ROUTER.

If you have to, spoof a mac.

There will be no resources you'll want to access in a dorm, trust me.

Sure, they'll advise against it due to number of devices that can be connected, and the potential to bog down the entire connection.
      Offikial Minister of Bad Judgements and Floridian Truths of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

08-24-2012 02:12 AM #24
      edit: router, and if the dorms are giga ready.. pick a giga router and wire everything, wifi can suck it.
      Last edited by morbs_gt; 08-24-2012 at 02:17 AM.
      Sent from my vwvortex account.

08-24-2012 02:25 AM #25
      Each device has a hardware address that is unique. They look up the first 6 digits and will be able to tell it's a linksys or whatever brand router you buy.
      So how exactly would you use the OUI to tell whether it's a router or.. just an interface card?
      Sent from my vwvortex account.

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      08-24-2012 12:20 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      You wouldn't put your computer on your ISP's network without a router, why would you do it at a college? It's a layer of protection and the OP is in college- guaranteed there are dip****s on that network trying to gain access to other people's computers.
      Who says I wouldn't put a machine online without a router? I actually do have several boxes online with public IP's, however they are set up securely.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

27. 08-24-2012 01:35 PM #27
      He's saying that because most people don't know how to secure a public-facing device. Purely for the fact that the OP wants to share the connection with more than 1 device, I feel that a (wireless) router is the best option.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2012 01:06 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by morbs_gt View Post
      So how exactly would you use the OUI to tell whether it's a router or.. just an interface card?
      It will tell you the brand of device. Most people have OUIs that are motherboard manufacturers or their NIC manufacturers.

Most that look up as Linksys are going to be SOHO ethernet routers, unless someone went out and bought a linksys NIC and put it in their computer (pretty uncommon).

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      08-25-2012 05:15 AM #29
      It will tell you the brand of device. Most people have OUIs that are motherboard manufacturers or their NIC manufacturers.

Most that look up as Linksys are going to be SOHO ethernet routers, unless someone went out and bought a linksys NIC and put it in their computer (pretty uncommon).
      Well, spoof the MAC and make it look like a consumer NIC from Intel or something. If someone had suspicion, I suppose, they could always check the packets. Or simply see how the node responds to pings, port scans, etc. You'd have to put in some effort to make the router come off as a single client device.

30. 09-02-2012 10:09 AM #30
      Like what? The traffic is going to be NAT'd and sent back to the destination address (the external address of your router).

There's really no way to "hide" your wireless. Cisco AP's/controllers seem to be especially popular on college campuses, and it's absolutely amazing at detecting rogue AP's. Long story short, if you're not supposed to have it and you do (and they care enough to look for it), they will find it fairly easily.