Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Please stop me from buying a Range Rover Sport TDV8

08-22-2012 04:25 AM #1
      I have a hate-love affair with the Range Rover. When I see one, I think flaunting/crass/go-anywhere car/kinda nice/etc.
      I saw one over the weekend in a used car dealership and the pricing is Okayish!
      I occasionally visit extended family in rural areas, where I travel over 100km (~62miles) on gravel road. A normal car (i.e. sedan) is not ideal.

I'm not desperate or need this car it is more of a want.
      There is a few here http://www.autotrader.co.za/seoregio...tude=-25.85891

First rule.

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      08-22-2012 09:04 AM #2
      dad has had one for several years. oddly enough, it's a british vehicle that doesn't need constant repair!!! crazy, I know!

i hate trucks but admit they have a use sometimes. RRsports are quite nice, i gotta say. just find an indy shop. the stealership will DESTROY your bank account and ensure you're on food stamps come retirement.

sorry, my post has done zero to stop you i suppose....

3. 08-22-2012 09:20 AM #3
      The only thing I can contribute to this is my brief experience in one. I was shocked at how tiny they were inside. For something with so much size and weight, it was a serious let-down to be jammed into what was comparable to a Jetta in terms of passenger space.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-22-2012 09:27 AM #4
      I don't know about where you live, but in the US, these cars are driven 99% of the time by middle aged blonde women who are slowly getting chunky because they drink eight starbucks coffees a day behind the wheel while texting and wearing huge sunglasses.

So, if you don't want to fit in with that demographic, do it.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
      08-22-2012 09:30 AM #5
      RSA is South Africa, so I imagine he's pretty far from that SoCal style demographic.

Do it.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      08-22-2012 09:34 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by brickfrenzy View Post
      RSA is South Africa, so I imagine he's pretty far from that SoCal style demographic.

Do it.
      In that case, buy this.

flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      08-22-2012 10:15 AM #7
      400K rand for a 4 year old LR sport? Does not compute. The car is pure poser (and very Gauteng) in the fact that it's nothing more tarted up Discovery 3 (OK, I'm exaggerating a touch - but not about the Gauteng bit).

For that price there are a lot of better choices that will handle an occasional ride on gravel.

Assuming you want a SUV, I'd start with a nearly new 4X4 Diesel Fortuner or a touch more used Prado. Parts will be cheaper and obtainable just about anywhere in Southern Africa on short notice. Try finding parts for a LR sport in the Free State.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      08-22-2012 10:16 AM #8
      Be sure to put black wheels on it, then maybe paparazzi will follow you around.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      08-22-2012 10:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
      I don't know about where you live, but in the US, these cars are driven 99% of the time by middle aged blonde women who are slowly getting chunky because they drink eight starbucks coffees a day behind the wheel while texting and wearing huge sunglasses.

So, if you don't want to fit in with that demographic, do it.
      Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports are vehicles I see driven by an equal male/female split. Kind of like the BMW 3-series.

Anyways, with the OP being in RSA I don't think it's an issue. And its properly equipped with a diesel. Go for it!
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      08-22-2012 10:30 AM #10
      Ive read good things about that motor. I think the TDV6 is better though. Honestly, since you have the choice, Id be going with a 200 series or 150 series Cruiser. A 70 series isnt exactly in the same league as a Range Rover

11. 08-22-2012 01:56 PM #11
      driving over 60 miles and you want this gas guzzling POS ?

RR are notorious for being unreliable

everytime i see one, i look at the driver like i feel bad for them

12. 08-22-2012 02:02 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by deagle View Post
      driving over 60 miles and you want this gas guzzling POS ?

RR are notorious for being unreliable

everytime i see one, i look at the driver like i feel bad for them

My fiancee used to have a Range Rover it was pretty much the biggest POS ever, the best thing that happened to her is when it got caught in a flash flood and the insurance company wrote it off.
      Jerk It with Luigi.

08-23-2012 08:33 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CBJ View Post
      400K rand for a 4 year old LR sport? Does not compute. The car is pure poser (and very Gauteng) in the fact that it's nothing more tarted up Discovery 3 (OK, I'm exaggerating a touch - but not about the Gauteng bit).

For that price there are a lot of better choices that will handle an occasional ride on gravel.

Assuming you want a SUV, I'd start with a nearly new 4X4 Diesel Fortuner or a touch more used Prado. Parts will be cheaper and obtainable just about anywhere in Southern Africa on short notice. Try finding parts for a LR sport in the Free State.
      I know what you're talking about, but the Fortuner is high on the stolen car list.
      I'll imagine the insurance also reflect that fact.
      The new Prado is a let down for me on looks (I suppose I can always go to the previous generation here).