Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Project: MIDIPedal

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      08-22-2012 11:11 AM #1
      It was suggested I start a build thread.

It started 20 years ago when my spouse introduced me to MIDI. My first thought was, damn, I need a pedal bay.

20 years, a move to Germany, a chance internet search after the 13YO decided Bach was cool, and 250€, and it turns out that you can fit an entire AGO pedal bay into the back of a MkIII Kombi. Who knew?

More discussion with the organ junkyard place revealed that no, you cannot buy a used pedal bay in the US. Organs aren't actually scrapped in the US, and they are rarely replaced, so no goodies. I did actually have to move to Germany to get this.

Next step... acquire a MIDI controller to part out into switches, actual controller parts and controls.

The final goal: the Weird Al of pedal bays - fully velocity-sensitive with aftertouch, 4-channel multi-timbral, minimum 64 voice polyphony (dependent on what we hook it up to, of course), some sort of piston-type control (multiple programs per channel), and whatever else I can get. The hard part is getting the velocity sensitivity and aftertouch. Once I get that done, I am pretty much there.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      10-19-2012 02:52 PM #2
      Donor controller - first attempt at cutting up the keyboard strip did not go well. I got some new Dremel bits, should be smoother this time.

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      10-19-2012 02:59 PM #3

Old electronics removed and ready to scrap.

10-20-2012 11:24 PM #4
      '''interesting''', will watch this.
      1995 Flash Red GTI 2.8 -<< Not Bagged! - only OEM+ >> I will never be cool like the other kids.
      My new dd is a '10 PWagon, 2.0T, DSG - not cool either. Wife drives the 97 Jetta GT.

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      10-25-2012 12:35 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Ed52 View Post
      '''interesting''', will watch this.

agreed
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

6. 10-30-2012 02:28 PM #6
      Awesome project!

These guys might like to see what you're up to. http://casperelectronics.com/
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Time to give up and buy a horse.

Vehicles
      12-09-2012 07:46 AM #7
      More progress, even though I tend to sit on my ass about this for months on end...

Had to scrap my original idea about using the controller switches as-is. They are not possible to separate for an amateur electrician like me. So, on to the more professional reed switches.

That there is a pair of offset reed switches that function as a velocity sensitive trigger for the MIDI controller. I have a lot of work ahead with figuring out the proper offset and the magnet distance and so forth, but I have created a velocity sensitive trigger using the donor controller as a power source and a signal harvester. In other words, it works! I triggered an old RX-7 and had a bit of a time trying to get the magnet speed right, but it works! Fully velocity sensitive. Aftertouch will have to wait, but I have a plan for that, too. I'll need a new controller setup, but the switchgear should be suitable for just about any controller out there. Challenge will be finding one with aftertouch and getting those strips positioned properly.
      Last edited by atomicalex; 12-09-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Vehicles
      01-04-2013 12:43 AM #8
      Worked on reed switch spacing and directionality of the switches. I think I have it figured out.

Vehicles
      02-08-2013 10:20 AM #9
      First of the switch arrays spaced and assembled.