Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cooling fan vibration

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 EV MV Weekender, '11 GTI Autobahn, '13 Touareg Executive TDi
      08-23-2012 01:35 AM #1
      It all started when my tranny went south last month after 157k miles no surprise, got it rebuilt and then broke again 300 miles after rebuild going up the hills on the 5 before Gorman. I guess something went bad, fluid everywhere. Rebuilt a second time (under warranty) and the cooling fan fell apart while the mechanic was out doing an extensive test drive in the hills. Mechanic replaced the fans no charge with ACM units but now I have an annoying vibration when on. Checked the mounts and shroud and changed fans, same thing. Anything else I should check? I will be replacing the fan resistors tomorrow, they are a bit corroded, but they still function. Now i'm dealing wih ABS, EPC, (/!\) lights, i'm hoping it's just the brake switch or ignition switch. I ordered both switches already, will change them tomorrow.

2. 08-24-2012 12:16 AM #2
      Daprolbear, It must be fan day in MV land. I just replaced both cooling fans in my 93 this afternoon. I searched for a like problem and found your post. I used Meyle fans (all I could get) and they are made in china. Meyle is a good company right? Well, one of the fans runs a bit lop-sided. I'm wondering if the off-kilter blade wheel is causing an unusual vibration or if I'm just thinking up a problem that's not real.
      Anyway, I'm considering removing the fans and installing the orginal Bosch fan blades which after 174,000k miles show no signs of stress. (It was the rear bearing in the passenger side fan that seized, spun, but luckily did not go complelety south before I caught it.)
      I know failing plastic can be an issue but this van seems to have been well sheltered from corrosive elements and the German blades (as due the motors for that matter) sure look alot sturdier in my lay opion.
      Any feedback group?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08-24-2012 04:57 AM #3
      Ya tell me about it. The replacement ones that my mechanic put in are manufactured in Germany by ACM. We tried 2 different sets and they vibrate! I got desperate and ordered the factory fans, hopefully those will not vibrate.
      I thought Meyle is a German company that make all their parts in Germany?

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MKIV BMP R32
      11-06-2013 01:37 AM #4
      Just replaced both cooking fans with meyle ones from ecs. Its a German company but the boxes the fans came in early say made in China. The high speed fan mode causes a pretty bad vibration for me. There were balancing weights on the fan blades that I noticed before I installed them but I assumed they were put there at the factory to make sure the blades were balanced. Not sure where to go with this... Pretty dissapointing

5. Member
      Vehicles
      11-08-2013 04:31 AM #7
      Get the original VW fan. Bought mine form Keffer VW, absolutely no problems after replacing with original VW fans.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Eurovan, 2001 Eurovan, 2006 Sprinter, 1961 Thunderbird
      12-03-2013 11:47 PM #8
      The only problem with the original from the stealership is the price is 580+ tax each the last time i checked :-(

Peaceout
      Zoli

Sent from my iWatch 6