Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 8 Hours in Amsterdam

08-23-2012 11:24 AM #1
      I have an 8 hour layover in Amsterdam on Saturday. I'll be on foot/public transport from airport. Where do I go, what do I do?

Aaand.... Go.

DinamoMinsk | photographeasy.com

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      08-23-2012 12:09 PM #2
      space brownies.

that is all.
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

08-23-2012 12:30 PM #3

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      08-23-2012 01:40 PM #4
      The airport is a 15 minute train ride from the city center and the train is directly underneath the main terminal at Schiphol. There are baggage lockers at the airport so you don't have to hump your luggage around. Like any European city, beware of pickpockets at the central train station.

Here's a terminal map. You can locate the luggage lockers, where you buy train tickets, and the escalators down to the trains.
      http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/At...pholPlaza1.htm

Most of the city is walkable from central station.

What to see & do in maybe 5 hours really depends on the person. A lot of people will want to hit a coffee shop, get stoned, go look in the windows in the red light district, and walk around that part of town having people try to sell you drugs, women, and whatever. Buy a tee shirt at the Hard Rock.

If you're a museum person, I highly recommend the van Gogh museum. It's a long enough walk from the central station that you can take in the sights on the way. You can always take a tram (electric streetcar) back.

Unlike here in the US where it always tastes skunked, Heineken is totally drinkable.

08-23-2012 02:14 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      The airport is a 15 minute train ride from the city center and the train is directly underneath the main terminal at Schiphol. There are baggage lockers at the airport so you don't have to hump your luggage around. Like any European city, beware of pickpockets at the central train station.

Here's a terminal map. You can locate the luggage lockers, where you buy train tickets, and the escalators down to the trains.
      http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/At...pholPlaza1.htm

Most of the city is walkable from central station.

What to see & do in maybe 5 hours really depends on the person. A lot of people will want to hit a coffee shop, get stoned, go look in the windows in the red light district, and walk around that part of town having people try to sell you drugs, women, and whatever. Buy a tee shirt at the Hard Rock.

If you're a museum person, I highly recommend the van Gogh museum. It's a long enough walk from the central station that you can take in the sights on the way. You can always take a tram (electric streetcar) back.

Unlike here in the US where it always tastes skunked, Heineken is totally drinkable.

Thank you for the detailed info. I appreciate it.

I definitely want to see more sights. I'm taking my camera, so making the most of it would be great. Any big cathedrals or famous bridges? I'm guessing the channels will be easy to find. Van Gogh museum sounds interesting.

Point taken on the Heineken- I hate it the way it's sold here in the US so I'll have to try it locally there.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      08-28-2012 07:02 AM #6
      Screw the Heineken... Buy the non-light Amstel!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 329K Miles.
      08-28-2012 11:00 AM #7
      8 hours are not enough. Three days would be more like it. Take a walk on Damrak from the train station. Check out Kalverstraat. Get some bakery to snack on; something with almond is good. Try a herring sandwich too. Language is no problem. When we were there I estimated that at least 90% of the people we encountered spoke English. The red light district is not far but is more interesting at night. My wife didn't want to go there but when we got there, we encountered a bus tour group, most of which were elderly women. We liked Rijstaffel (rice table) at an Indonesian restaurant several times. They are all pretty much the same like Chinese buffet restaurants here but are a tasty alternative with the many dishes based on peanut. A ride on a tram is a cheap way to take a city tour but there is a bus guided tour. You can take a canal boat tour too. Have a beer at a brown bar.

We toured Heinken but once you have seen a brewery or two, you have seen it all.

10-01-2012 05:54 PM #8
      Was just there. What time of day will you be there? All the illicit fun is at night. I really enjoyed the vangoh museum. The most fun we had was touring around the city on bikes. We rented from a place near dam square, but I believe there are companies near centrall station.

It is a very compact city and you can get a good feel for it within a few hours. If at all possible I recommend staying over and having at least 1 rough night.

We were there for a week and the highlight was definitely renting a unguided canal boat and drinking a few bottles of wine while cruising through.

ThAt is definitely better for summertime though as it will be quite cold there by now.

Vehicles
      '06 WRX, naked '97 GSXR 600, '79 DT250
      10-03-2012 05:16 AM #9
      In for more answers...in amsterdam now

Vehicles
      a van
      10-04-2012 10:47 AM #10
      coffee shops. not what you are probably thinking. that is all.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.