Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another basement reno

10-03-2012 10:26 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
      Yes, it's amazing how much moisture gets released. We had some windows open, but still lots of condensation throughout. Luckily the weather cooperated and it wasn't so bad. Really looking forward to when we can test out the heated floor.
      We poured 2,300 square feet in one day. You can't imagine the moisture.

It shouldn't matter a lot, but you're going to have some cold spots in the basement floor as they installed radiator loops instead of serpentine loops. In your set up you'll have hot spots at the beginning of each loop and a cold spot at the end, because the water has transferred all it's heat by the end. A thermal imaging camera proves this out.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      10-03-2012 08:35 PM #37
      Very interesting thoughts. This is the first time I've done something like this, so was leaving the design up to the engineer and HVAC contractor. It's not a large space, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. But just for fun, I think I'll get my hands on one of those cameras before we move our stuff in there.

10-03-2012 08:49 PM #38
      You won't be able to tell right away. Concrete is the thermal battery. It radiates its heat into the room warming objects, not the air so much. You have to be careful not to create a flywheel effect where you get runaway heat. When you first activate the system slowly bring the temperature up. cranking up the thermostat just delivers a bunch of heat that will be released a bit in the future. It's kind of a balancing act if the area is air conditioned. Floor heat likes slow incremental changes.

They may have had some reason for doing it the way they did. I don't know. I do know that living with it for 19 years I have no cold spots with serpentine loops. Do you know what that is? It had to be explained to me.

A serpentine loop is like the coils of a snake. You start the piping around the perimeter of the loop. You make smaller and smaller loops, leaving about a foot in between the loops. When you get to the center you do a 180° and return with the rest of the loop in-between the other pipes until you reach the beginning. The hot water in the pipe loses most of its heat by the time it reached the center of the loop and is rewarmed by the radiation of the surrounding concrete. That returns the water to the boiler at a higher temperature lessening the work of the equipment to bring it up to temperature again.

You will enjoy what you have.
      Last edited by barry2952; 10-03-2012 at 09:00 PM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      10-25-2012 01:49 PM #39
      More progress...

The floor has been poured:

And the boiler has been installed. It's a combination on-demand unit that supplies both domestic hot water and heat for the rads and basement floor.

We have also installed sound insulation throughout and the drywall is complete. Next up: tiles, trim, paint and plumbing fixtures. We're getting there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12