Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prototypes and design proposals for cars.

08-23-2012 04:52 PM #1
      I think it's interesting seeing cars we are familiar during the productions stages, showing alternative designs and solutions that was considered. This tread is for that. Feel free to post any sketches or photos of prototypes you have found.

Lets start with these design sketches of the Toyota 2000gt.

Design sketches:

And a protoype:

Your turn!

08-23-2012 05:01 PM #2
      The Ferrari Daytona prototype:

3. Banned
      Shytcago, IL - hell hole of all hell holes
      Vehicles
      74 Subaru DL, 78 280Z,94 Sentra SER, 86 CRX Si, 86 Suzuki 700 Intruder (still own) 07 Fit (still own
      08-23-2012 05:06 PM #3
      I don't know who ever designed the 2000 GT was thinking by using those big ugly lamps up front? I can spot a 2000 GT a mile away because of them, but still they're about as attractive as zits.

08-23-2012 05:07 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      I don't know who ever designed the 2000 GT was thinking by using those big ugly lamps up front? I can spot a 2000 GT a mile away because of them, but still they're about as attractive as zits.
      I don't mind them to be honest. Quite distinctive at least.

08-23-2012 05:28 PM #5
      Another '60s classic gt: The Iso Grifo. Here in prototype form.

Sketch:

Final product (not sure how familar people are with the car):

The lightweight racer prototype called the A3C.

This later become the Bizzarrini 5300 strada:

08-23-2012 07:08 PM #6
      Tatra 603.

The concept drawings:

Concept TATRA 603 by TATRA 603, on Flickr

Design drawings:

Sketch Tatra 603 by TATRA 603, on Flickr

Model:

Model study Tatra 603 by TATRA 603, on Flickr

Model of alternative design:

Proposal TATRA 603 by TATRA 603, on Flickr

A 603 prototype with a central rear fin. This fin was later removed for production.

Proposed facelift of the 603 from 1962. Never went in production.

Final production version:
      Last edited by Galrot; 08-23-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      08-23-2012 07:21 PM #7
      Corrado:

Early designs look more like an Isuzu Piazza

Closer to production, albeit wearing a Scirocco badge

Properly taking shape:

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

08-23-2012 07:21 PM #8
      1962 design proposal for a Porsche four dour saloon by Ghia. It would take 47 years until Porsche actually went ahead and built one themself though.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      08-23-2012 07:23 PM #9
      great thread.

08-23-2012 08:01 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      1962 design proposal for a Porsche four dour saloon by Ghia. It would take 47 years until Porsche actually went ahead and built one themself though.

Looks like a Corvair with the sloping roofline and trunk of a '73 Grand Am. The Panamera looks like the best design ever in comparison.

Design proposals for the 1994 Mustang (from 1990):

"Rambo" This porridge is too hot!

"Jenner" This porridge is too cool...

"Schwarzenegger" This porridge is just right!
      Last edited by Yo Teach; 08-23-2012 at 08:11 PM.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

08-24-2012 04:23 AM #11
      Various design sketches for the Nissan Skyline c110.

Design sketches for the van/station wagon:

Scale models:

Final production model:

08-24-2012 04:55 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Detector View Post
      Here are a alternative driving light design fro the 2000gt. You can also see them on the prototype above. I think these are quite elegant.

And a alternative rear end design. Less successful imho.

More info here: http://www.2000gt.net/index.php

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      08-24-2012 10:57 AM #13
      This has potential for epic thread honors. The design process is THE most fascinating and absorbing part of the whole automotive experience for me. The great designers are my heroes, of a sort. They are truly artists, and their works are practical, moveable art for all the world to use and enjoy. Over the years, two publications...Hemmings Special-Interest Autos magazine, and Collectible Automobile magazine, have provided deep and thorough coverage of this subject, and I recommend anyone interested in seeing "what might have been", along with "what never was" when it comes to cars to look into these two GREAT publications (Special-Interest Autos has evolved into today's Hemmings Classic Car, btw). CA magazine in particular has taken on the task of regularly interviewing the great designers (frequently and thankfully just a few years or even months before their deaths), and showcasing their works through archival photographs. If you're even a little bit excited by the "styling" of cars, this stuff is mind-blowing. For every one of the thousands of models that make it to the world's showrooms, there were at least dozens, and sometimes a hundred or even more, proposals, and even prototypes that were rejected on the way to the final production iteration. Seeing just the process of finalizing the GRILLE design on so many cars, through the design studio's photos of the clays and the renderings, is often fascinating. I always find myself thinking; "Why didn't they choose THAT version instead of the production one?", because to my eyes the rejected design was so much more attractive. It's also very interesting to hear the stories these designers tell in their interviews, and to find out the "nuts and bolts" details of the design process, and sometimes the political battles that took place in those studios amongst the principals on the way to achieving the final production version of a model. These people had their hearts and souls invested in their ideas, and fought hard to get them approved, and rejection was a bitter pill to swallow for them, of course. They are just really interesting people, as most artists usually are.

People like, for example, Chuck Jordan of GM. He was responsible for SO MANY of the cars, and more importantly the worldwide TRENDS in design that we now admire and honor:

Larry Shinoda, first of Packard, then GM, then finally at Ford. His career is full of surprises, and you'd be amazed at the variety of GREAT achievements of this tremendous artist and enthusiast, from handsome Packards, to the original Corvette Sting Ray, to the Boss series Mustangs, and dozens in-between:

Then there is Virgil Exner. His career and achievements fill entire books, and rightly so:

My personal favorite automotive designer is Gordon M. Buehrig, simply because he designed, by himself, the most beautiful thing ever to roll on four wheels, the Cord 810/812:

I hope this thread evolves into something very nice.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

08-24-2012 03:28 PM #14
      ^^ Thanks for lengthy and nice comment. A good read.

A few more pictures.

Various designs they worked with on the 1961 Chevrolet Impala. Source: http://www.layitlow.com/forums/12-lo...pe-pics-2.html

08-25-2012 08:04 AM #15
      Some sketches of the Lamborghini Muira. Giorgetto Giugiaro and Marcello Gandini are currently fighting about who deserve the credit for the shape. Giugiaro claims that he designed 70% of the final with its general proportions before leaving Bertone. Gandini claims it his design and he have traditionally been credited as the cars designer.

The two first sketches are credited to Giugiaro. I believe the last two are Gandinis.

08-26-2012 06:33 AM #16
      Bentley Burma protoypes. Meant as a entry level Bentley. The project was later scrapped and Bentley instead got a badge-engineered version of the Silver Shadow, which was based on a Rolls Royce project called Tibet. Here are a couple of Bentley Burma picutres.

Clay model:

Prototype:

Testing of another prototype:

Crash testing:

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      08-26-2012 04:10 PM #17
      Keep these coming!!!
      Awesome thread!!!!!!!!
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

18. 08-26-2012 06:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
      Corrado:

Early designs look more like an Isuzu Piazza

Closer to production, albeit wearing a Scirocco badge

Properly taking shape:

Not terribly surprising, considering that the Piazza's concept was a proposed redesign for the (2nd gen, IIRC) Scirocco in the first place. Isuzu took it after VW passed.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      08-26-2012 06:49 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      Not terribly surprising, considering that the Piazza's concept was a proposed redesign for the (2nd gen, IIRC) Scirocco in the first place. Isuzu took it after VW passed.
      Common misconception. The Piazza was always going to be an Isuzu. They commissioned it from the start with Giugiaro.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      08-26-2012 07:14 PM #20
      If you are a design enthusiast I urge you to look into these old Hemmings articles, such as this one: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ls-scrapbooks/ . Just click each page for a full-size readable version. They're fascinating, and allow one to see just how far into the future the minds of the designers often were, but the public wasn't allowed to see.
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      08-26-2012 07:14 PM #21
      AE86 design sketches.

08-26-2012 07:48 PM #22
      ^^ Nice. Keep it comming!

Styling the Cadillac Allanté.

"Curing Cadillac's Design Doldrums", 1987- Allante by glen.h, on Flickr

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      08-26-2012 07:48 PM #23
      Awwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhh

I cna't find the pics of the Golf Mk2 and Mk3 design sketches, but I know they exist, somewhere. Damn, I can't even find the dashboard design picture on my photobucket. Too many pics!

Some I found in the galleries that I'll post just becuase:
      Cabriolet Karmann study (clipper kit proposal I suppose):

Caddy Sport:

Mk2 proposals:

Mk3:

The most significant detail is the headlights. I have noticed that even in ETKA sketches, the Golf front end is a lot more low slung than it was actually built as. Maybe that was a last-minute change?

Here's a prototype of the Passat B3 hatchback, looks like the Auto2000 concept. With VR6 and all.

Auto2000 for comparison (which came out in 1982/ styling was borrowed by the then-new 82 Scirocco and 88 B3 passat a few years later)

Golf Mk1 final stage protype, with sliding door... some guy found it in a Euro junkyard! (converted from dutch magazine)

Last edited by VDub2625; 08-26-2012 at 08:07 PM.
      A2Resource

08-27-2012 05:41 AM #24
      Some pictures of the developments stages of the Jaguar xj mark 1. This car is credited with being the last model William Lyons had direct input into.

Seems like their first idea was simply to craft E-type front- and rear ends onto each side creating a four-door E-type. It actually looks quite good in profile if you ask me.

However they decided to square this up. First they started on the front. The front end seems inspired by the early Jensen models.

Now we are getting somewhere. The front is slightly sleeker than final version, while the trunk seems a little bit longer and higher than what they eventually ended up with.

Pretty much the final item.

08-27-2012 05:45 AM #25
      Continuing from above: Various front treatments they tried on the Jaguar xj mk1.

26. Member
      08-27-2012 06:07 AM #26
      Seat 5 doors coupè from Audi A5...

27. Member
      08-27-2012 06:24 AM #27
      LM003 Borneo or Galileo - the STORY

During the ownership of Automobili Lamborghini SpA by the Indonesian group, a study was made to put the gargantuan LM002 off road Lamborghini back into production.

It was known that the LM002 had his flaws but it still was a steady low volume seller, therefore a United Kingdom based company was contacted to design a successor to the LM002, but later this job was handed over to SZ Design, a company based on the remains of the Zagato Design Studio.
      This was to become the LM003, named Borneo or Galileo, depending on what market it was offered on, the LM003 model was actually a confusing name, because an LM003 did already exist in the past, it was in fact an LM002 with a Turbocharged Diesel engine installed into it instead of the massive V12, but because the complete car was very underpowered with this engine configuration only one prototype was ever made and never left the factory.

A preliminary drawing was made for the new LM003 project which you can view at the top of this page, but an in dept market research study revealed only a small interest would exist in the new LM003. Most Lamborghini customers or future customers were not exactly waiting for a new off road vehicle from Sant'Agata, a much more wanted car would have been an Espada successor like the L149 project or a new Diablo successor.

Therefore the Borneo/Galileo never even made it into a prototype, this drawing and a few others made by Zagato exist, together with some technical proposals were about all that ever came from this try out although an actual full scale mock up was created of the LM003.

The shape of the Borneo looked much like the current Range Rover at that time, probably to biggest competitor for the new LM003 during that period, the Range Rover was about the only high-end luxury pseudo off road vehicle in existence, the Mercedes M-series, the Lincoln Navigator or the Hummer did not exist yet. As you might notice, all cars in this market area use a similar layout, using a type of station car look, just like the LM003 was designed to, although Michael Kimberley decided the new LM003 would be presented with three different body configurations, one like the drawing shows here, a 'normal' four door version like the previous LM002 and probably a third looking much like the open top Hummer which appeared later.

The new LM003 Borneo would become a joint venture between Timor, and Indonesian based automaker and Automobili Lamborghini SpA, again the body shell would not be made in Italy but in the Far East. The LM002 bodywork was in fact made in Spain when it was still in production.

A closer look at the LM002 Estate page will show you in fact a modified LM002, this LM was converted into a similar looking shape to this LM003 and is currently located in the United Kingdom.

In my personal opinion the market is currently open for a new high end luxury off road vehicle, the sales for the Mercedes M-series and Lincoln Navigator are quite well, so a new Lamborghini Off road vehicle could still make sense in a marketing point of view, naturally a small engined V-8 car to succeed the Jalpa would sell better, but the very high end market is where Automobili Lamborghini SpA could make a difference.

28. Member
      08-27-2012 06:31 AM #28
      Mazda Mx-5 Mk III

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      08-27-2012 05:35 PM #29
      Thank you for this thread.

Up until my 18th birthday, I knew I wanted to be an automotive designer. I figured it out when I was in 3rd grade. I liked drawing cars in my spare time (and often during classtime), and it was in 3rd grade that I learned somebody could design cars for a job. I knew right then and there that I wanted to do THAT forever.

Throughout school years, whenever my civics classes or social studies classes would investigate career paths or hold job fairs, I was always forced to strike out on my own, as there wasn't any material in the textbooks or career guides on how to become a designer - least of all an automotive designer. All through elementary, middle, and high school, I focused on doing what I had to do to get accepted into an art school. I set about taking every single class that might have any intrinsic value to an auto designer: I was one of the first students to enroll in an engineering vocational school program for high school underclassmen. I took every art class that was offered - graphic arts, sculpture, drafting, architectural drafting, CAD - you name it. My parents and I corresponded with Art Center admissions in Pasadena, and later the Center For Creative Studies in Detroit. I applied for, and was accepted to the latter. The plan was to go to CCS for my Freshman and Sophomore years, then switch to the Art Center and garduate from there. (This was a time when, even more than it is today, an Art Center degree was the best leg-up one could have in the auto design world. Nowadays, even though the Art Center is still probably the most highly regarded school, it isn't the only show in town.)

During my Senior year of high school though, I decided to go another path. My dad's side of the family has lived in North America since before 1620, and all the males that we have record of have been in the US Army (ancestors who lived prior to the incorporation of the US Army notwithstanding). I decided to put my art career on hold, and enlisted in the Army. As it turned out, I had a knack for my job and I enjoyed it quite a lot, so I decided to make the military a career. After a few years of service however, injuries sustained in the line of duty would hinder that progress. After a lengthy medical board review, I was honorably discharged, a disabled veteran.

I then worked in military service as a Department of Defense Civilian for a while, but later decided to try pursuing my dream of going to art school again. After researching my options, I decided to start out at the Academy of Art College in San Francisco. Alas, I wasn't able to get school funding lined up from the VA in time (CA's VA system works incredibly slow), so I ended up moving out of CA and pursuing other career paths.

So thank you for starting and contributing to this thread. Somehow, being able to see the design process vindicates all those years I spent telling people that I wanted to design cars, and softens the "what-is-this-martian-creature" stares I'd receive in reply.

I'll be watching this one very closely.
      HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

30. 08-27-2012 05:42 PM #30
      awesome thread

Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      Does that she Tropper has sideburns? It does not say were the accident happen? Any more to the story?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      The ADs on the side of facebook are the least of my annoyances on facebook. People I went to high school with bombing photo after photo of their ugly baby, now that's annoying.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      08-27-2012 05:49 PM #31
      Final production model:
      I feel ashamed for not previously knowing this car, that is one sexy car!
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

08-27-2012 07:32 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
      Thank you for this thread.

I'll be watching this one very closely.
      You're welcome.

I've always wanted to be a car designer myself, but it have never transpired into a reality. At least not yet. Just like you. However I do believe that I have good eye for great proportions, sexy details and other things that makes for great cars. Yes, I'm modest that way. So I have just decided to learn 3d-modeling in my spare time so that, while my designs won't perhaps make into production, then I do at least a few renders and electronic models to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FACTORYBOOST View Post
      I feel ashamed for not previously knowing this car, that is one sexy car!
      Yes, it's a nice looking car, but often overlooking here in the west due to its exotic Japan ancestry. That's the top of the line model though. It's less sexy as a base model, inline 4-engined sedan:

Also notice the color difference between the door and the c-pillar on what I presume is a press shot!

08-27-2012 07:51 PM #33
      Styling of the Alfa Romeo Alfetta gt. It was the replacement of the iconic 105-series Giulia gt/gtc coupes. Just like with the 105, the Alfetta coupe was clad in a bodywork by Italian designer Giorgetto Giugiaro.

Three styling proposals by Giugiaro:

The same proposals in colors. Sorry about the blury nature of it.

Styling sketch from 1967.

These sketches formed the basis for this 1967 prototype/concept. I'm unsure if it was shown at any car shows, or if it was merely for development purposes.

It eventually ended up as this, the final production Alfetta gt:

*I will try to see if I can find any more prototype pictures or styling sketches of the room between the 1967 prototype and the final version later.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      08-28-2012 09:23 AM #34
      You're welcome.
      Yes, it's a nice looking car, but often overlooking here in the west due to its exotic Japan ancestry. That's the top of the line model though. It's less sexy as a base model, inline 4-engined sedan:

Also notice the color difference between the door and the c-pillar on what I presume is a press shot!
      Yea, I mean you could probably do a bit to it to help bring it up to the GT-R sexiness, but a paint job would definitely be in order. And designing cars would be awesome, but I'm more apt to the mechanical engineering standpoint (at least that's what I'm going to go to school for) So you draw them, I'll make them work
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

08-29-2012 03:00 PM #35
      Just three sketches of three different large luxurious GM coupes from the '60s: The Eldorado, the Tornado and the Riviera.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast