Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Long Story - Hail Damage - Repaint hood opinion

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-24-2012 12:54 PM #1
      So, I will keep it short.

Had some hail damage, all shops recommended PDR - and it worked perfectly.

HOWEVER, the dang PDR guys dropped a tool in the middle of the hood, it bounced and now I have 2 small (about 1MM) circles where the paint has been chipped and I see the white primer I assume.

Insurance said they would cover this and the only option was to repaint the hood.

The auto body shop...called me and said that I really should reconsider this, because there is SO MUCH ORANGE PEEL in VW paint, that when they are done with the job, no way will it match. The autobody show is a well known high end shop that has been around forever.

They offered to "touch it up" saying for real that is what I should consider.

What do you guys think ? Looking for your opinions.
      MODS: APR Stage 1 Flash | APR Carbonio Stage 1 CAI | 35% Tint All Around | EuroSwitch | 4,550K Hi/Lo Beams | Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Bulbs | Blacked Out Front Turns | H&K 24MM RSB | BFI Torque Arm Insert Stage 1
      FUTURE MODS: Rear Fog | Lots of Vag-Com Work (DRL, FOB Windows, Auto Rain Up) | Forge Short Shift Kit | Coil Overs | Stage III or K04

08-24-2012 04:22 PM #2
      order a dr color chip kit, and follow the instructions. Once it becomes a blob it can be sanded flat and buffed and almost become invisible and permanent. http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-24-2012 04:38 PM #3
      Wow...thanks...I will investigate that.

Anyone have any feedback on the orange peel paint that can't be matched ? Is that really true ?
      MODS: APR Stage 1 Flash | APR Carbonio Stage 1 CAI | 35% Tint All Around | EuroSwitch | 4,550K Hi/Lo Beams | Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Bulbs | Blacked Out Front Turns | H&K 24MM RSB | BFI Torque Arm Insert Stage 1
      FUTURE MODS: Rear Fog | Lots of Vag-Com Work (DRL, FOB Windows, Auto Rain Up) | Forge Short Shift Kit | Coil Overs | Stage III or K04

08-24-2012 07:40 PM #4
      You can match the color but not the texture of the orange peel.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-24-2012 08:45 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesstzn View Post
      Dang...so what do people do who need body work.....do the have the whole car painted every time ?

Is the "texture" that many VW's seem to have just poor factory paint, or is that for effect ?

08-24-2012 09:40 PM #6
      Orange Peel isn't intentional .. the new VOC compliant paints don't flow out like the old paint ..

Not all VW are bad and OP isn't just with VWs .. I have seen all makes have it ..

Mine didn't

Nor does my TL

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-24-2012 09:50 PM #7
      Ok...so what happens to a guy like me whose OEM paint is full of texture and the autobody shop says they can't match

08-24-2012 11:27 PM #8
      Is the black a solid black or a pearl etc?

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-27-2012 08:46 AM #9
      Is the black a solid black or a pearl etc?
      It is the deep black metallic

08-27-2012 10:47 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by instigator31 View Post
      It is the deep black metallic
      That might be a little harder to touch up .. why didn't the PDR guys fix whr they did .. they are even good at touchup?

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-27-2012 11:33 AM #11
      That might be a little harder to touch up .. why didn't the PDR guys fix whr they did .. they are even good at touchup?
      Well I can't answer that question completely.

When I "complained" about this the body shop said due to how the factory paints etc...no way could they do a good touch up job...and the only option was a repaint and THEN nothing would match

So I am stuck with NO fix...I am just trying to understand is it perhaps my AUTO BODY shop that has no experience working with VW's or perhaps it is just DIFFICULT to replicate the factory paint and thus they don't want to do it ?

08-27-2012 12:14 PM #12
      Ok I'm lost .. the body shop & PDR are the same guys? VW paint isn't that bad at all ..

A) Go to a PDR and see if thay can touch up

B) Go to another body shop

C) Go to www.paintscratch.com and get touch up and "fill" the chips.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-27-2012 12:27 PM #13
      Ok I'm lost .. the body shop & PDR are the same guys? VW paint isn't that bad at all ..

A) Go to a PDR and see if thay can touch up

B) Go to another body shop

C) Go to www.paintscratch.com and get touch up and "fill" the chips.

Sorry....the body shop and the PDR are one in the same. Meaning the PDR were subs of the body shop and I am not talking directly to the PDR guys....I will now do that.

I will also check out other body shops...

Finally just to confirm...are you suggesting that the Dr. Colorchip route as suggested earlier is NOT the way I should go ?

Thanks again for your help !

08-27-2012 12:32 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by instigator31 View Post
      Finally just to confirm...are you suggesting that the Dr. Colorchip route as suggested earlier is NOT the way I should go ?

Thanks again for your help !
      I have had no experience with Dr.Colorchip .. they might be great .. I think its a system .. where paintscratch is just color matched paint.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-27-2012 01:02 PM #15
      I have had no experience with Dr.Colorchip .. they might be great .. I think its a system .. where paintscratch is just color matched paint.
      Yep you are correct (meaning they are a system vs. knowing they are great) ...thanks as always!

16. 08-27-2012 01:15 PM #16
      It is my understanding from working with the body shop that i do that it is possible to match orange peel. Perhaps not all shops can or are willing to do so but it is possible.

If it were my car I would get a second look by another body shop. For one to say that they cannot match up the paint job would be a bit concerning.

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line Black 6MT
      08-27-2012 01:45 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeBlaze View Post
      It is my understanding from working with the body shop that i do that it is possible to match orange peel. Perhaps not all shops can or are willing to do so but it is possible.

If it were my car I would get a second look by another body shop. For one to say that they cannot match up the paint job would be a bit concerning.
      Makes total sense, now I just gotta fight with my insurance agent